• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Key Comic Reproductions

18 posts in this topic

Firstly not nm at all!!secondly ,i checked and its a true believer edition never heard of that one before but with cross reference on the net , on first page below in credit specified as reproduction (true believer).so its almost armless but the price elsewhere was of 25 to 40 $ ........

2 hours ago, Namtak said:

Firstly not nm at all!!secondly ,i checked and its a true believer edition never heard of that one before but with cross reference on the net , on first page below in credit specified as reproduction (true believer).so its almost armless but the price elsewhere was of 25 to 40 $ ........

I thought it is was one of those counterfeit reproductions that are popping up.

I also thought the True Believers books had that above the title.

13 minutes ago, MR SigS said:

I thought it is was one of those counterfeit reproductions that are popping up.

I also thought the True Believers books had that above the title.

What it is is it's a "True Believers" ASM #300 interior with one of those "high quality photo copy covers" that are all over eBay swapped for the real cover. The first line of the indica at the bottom of the splash page says "True Believers" instead of "Amazing Spider-Man". 

8 minutes ago, AJLewandoski said:

What it is is it's a "True Believers" ASM #300 interior with one of those "high quality photo copy covers" that are all over eBay swapped for the real cover. The first line of the indica at the bottom of the splash page says "True Believers" instead of "Amazing Spider-Man". 

That makes sense

Concern for what industry? There is no way any reproduction could ever pass for the original. The type of printing and presses, inks and paper don't exist anymore at all so it's impossible to make a reproduction that will ever fool anyone. I couldn't care less about people making stuff like this. This is like the big deal now with people making reproductions of vintage Star Wars action figures that are almost identical to the originals and collectors are losing their minds. Who cares. If it means someone can own something that's pretty close to the original in materials and feel because they can't afford a ridiculously priced original then I am all for it. I wish someone would make nice reproductions of comics I can never own in as close to original materials as possible, nice newsprint and that look good. I'd buy them all. but not crud like this one for 150 bucks that's insane and defeats the purpose of a reproduction

7 hours ago, AJLewandoski said:

The indica of the feebay item does not say True Believers, it says Amazing Spider-Man.

It's a replica of the cover and the interior.

16 hours ago, Bluefear said:

I've never seen this before, so maybe they aren't new, but I've noticed reproduction comics that look very real (at least from the pictures).

Are these as good as they look in the pictures? Is this a serious concern for the industry?

Example:

Amazing Spiderman 300 Reproduction NM | eBay

No.

7 hours ago, catman76 said:

Concern for what industry? There is no way any reproduction could ever pass for the original. The type of printing and presses, inks and paper don't exist anymore at all so it's impossible to make a reproduction that will ever fool anyone. I couldn't care less about people making stuff like this. This is like the big deal now with people making reproductions of vintage Star Wars action figures that are almost identical to the originals and collectors are losing their minds. Who cares. If it means someone can own something that's pretty close to the original in materials and feel because they can't afford a ridiculously priced original then I am all for it. I wish someone would make nice reproductions of comics I can never own in as close to original materials as possible, nice newsprint and that look good. I'd buy them all. but not crud like this one for 150 bucks that's insane and defeats the purpose of a reproduction

What they are doing is stealing IP. People rationalize it and say that Disney or whoever can afford to allow these to exist. Maybe some people will be fooled, but in the end what they are doing is not legal. If Marvel licensed someone to make high quality reproductions, that would be different.

Cerebus #1 had counterfeit copies. Overstreet used to publish a price for the counterfeit. I remember when they finally took a stand and said the counterfeit was worthless because it was theft. Curious if the current Overstreet has the same wording.

This is a “Pandora’s Box” just waiting to be opened up by one greedy deuche nozzle with some edited photos to pass it off as the real deal. The amount of horse excrement a buyer is gonna have to go through among the rest of the repercussions doesn’t justify the existence of these books. There are licensed reproductions of many keys. They’re called REPRINTS found in comic and tpb format. 
i don’t buy that comment about materials and printing technology either. The older stuff still exists, it’s just not used anymore and can more than likely be bought dirt cheap if someone wanted it.

This gets ugly when some scammer sells a collection and in the group photo there are a few counterfeit keys to boost interest. 

Remember that collection that was for sale on eBay with a Hulk 1? The seller said something like, "A friend asked me to sell these for them, I don't know what they're worth..." And no one could figure out if that Hulk 1 was legit or not, but someone rolled the dice because that auction sold for something like $16k.

1 hour ago, Namtak said:

That reproduction is awsome would like one like that cheap(go to a convention with that repro rolled up in my jeans back pocket and enjoy the réaction of People lol)

Get a hulk 181 for the other back pocket lol