• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hulk 181 Rookie Card sells for big money!
4 4

323 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, 500Club said:

Always been strong here in Alberta.  Edmonton and Calgary have a high number of LCSs per capita compared to other areas I visit.

Thanx for the info.

Just now, Buzzetta said:

Yeah... PSA is the go to company... 

Don't know exactly when the tipping point was but it happened at least for certain generations / eras of cards. 

I had Albert Pujols and Tom Brady rookie cards I made some decent coin off of - BVS far outpaced PSA.

But that was easily 2000's...

Times do change things....

5 minutes ago, 500Club said:

Always been strong here in Alberta.  Edmonton and Calgary have a high number of LCSs per capita compared to other areas I visit.

True based on my last visit to Edmonton.

Haven't really had anyone chauffeur me around the Calgary stores yet. 

1 hour ago, Broke as a Joke said:

I find it ironic that now that comic book trading cards are becoming valuable CGC won't grade them even with the launch of a service that should be cleaning up in this particular segment.  

Makes no sense.

I said it earlier

They don't have the personnel that have the appropriate training. 

We already know that CGC has specific graders on specific eras of books.  I remember reading that once around these parts that there were graders that were some that were more familiar or specialized in golden age and others in copper or moderns. 

Think about it... rush something out or get the proper training, because if you think that people screw around with comics wait until you see what funny business goes on with cards.  For example, Topps was using a different cutting mechanism than Upper Deck so the slices into the cardboard leave a distinctive mark on a Topps card that can be seen with a loupe that cannot be seen with Upper Deck.  You have to know what to look for. 

Regardless, while this is a cool adventure that CGC is taking and one that is long overdue and one that can also create serious competition, the pinnacle of card grading (to me) is still PSA.  So, if CGC wants to become a viable competitor to PSA they have to do it the right way and really learn the process and what they are looking for.  Because if there are any serious missteps, the card collecting community will look at CGC as the PGX of card grading.  

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

I said it earlier

And that makes sense to me. But surely at this point it's just a matter of time, right? If you're already a comic grading company, who owns a card grading company, and you see what this stuff is doing in the market, surely they're at work on hiring/training more staff, right? C'mon CGC!  I don't follow gaming cards at all. Does anyone know how CGC graded Pokemo/Magic etc have fared in the secondary market vs the more established card grading companies?

41 minutes ago, Calamerica said:

I know you know your stuff as I recall you from the early 2000's here.

I WAS in the sports cards from 2001 - 2005 and lost small six figures.

I made far more off of BVS Beckett 9, 9.5 than I ever did PSA 10's no matter the card/series.

The Customers 80% or more said Beckett was superior.

Your take?

CAL who used to sell a lot....

I did an appraisal on a Wayne Gretzky Rookie quite a few years back. I want to say at least 3 years ago. At that time, perfectly centered PSA 9's were selling right around $23K-$25K.

A BVG 9 (and I have to say, the amount of comparables were thin) were selling around $6K.

There is no question that Beckett graded stricter, you could see it just in the way the 9's looked from PSA compared to Beckett - it was also not unheard of that people were picking-up BVG graded RC's like Gretzky's and resubbing them and they'd get a higher grade. I truly believe this s what inevitably caused people (particularly those who found out the hard way) that they were leaving money on the table for other people to profit.

Not going to deny it, I was one of those people. BVG's began getting scarce, but it was worth the trouble to crack and resub every time.

Because the appraisal was for replacement value, I made the value conditional on the very low supply of BVG graded cards, much less 9's, so it helped the client in case something were to happen, because with $6K, he could barely buy an OC (Off-Centered) PSA 9 in those days.

That was my experience, and after seeing that value disparity between the two, there is no way on earth I'd grade something with Beckett to have someone buy, get it regraded, and made 3-4x what I should have made by sending the same card, without doing anything to it, to PSA.

3 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

I did an appraisal on a Wayne Gretzky Rookie quite a few years back. I want to say at least 3 years ago. At that time, perfectly centered PSA 9's were selling right around $23K-$25K.

A BVG 9 (and I have to say, the amount of comparables were thin) were selling around $6K.

There is no question that Beckett graded stricter, you could see it just in the way the 9's looked from PSA compared to Beckett - it was also not unheard of that people were picking-up BVG graded RC's like Gretzky's and resubbing them and they'd get a higher grade. I truly believe this s what inevitably caused people (particularly those who found out the hard way) that they were leaving money on the table for other people to profit.

Not going to deny it, I was one of those people. BVG's began getting scarce, but it was worth the trouble to crack and resub every time.

Because the appraisal was for replacement value, I made the value conditional on the very low supply of BVG graded cards, much less 9's, so it helped the client in case something were to happen, because with $6K, he could barely buy an OC (Off-Centered) PSA 9 in those days.

That was my experience, and after seeing that value disparity between the two, there is no way on earth I'd grade something with Beckett to have someone buy, get it regraded, and made 3-4x what I should have made by sending the same card, without doing anything to it, to PSA.

Thanx for that info! Appreciate the time!

30 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I would figure that CGC has a goal of making a dent in the market share within a year to a year and a half. 

Sure, we'll never really know until they try, but given what I've watched going on between Beckett and PSA - and there is no question Beckett is the more competent of the two, it's an impossible uphill climb. Sure, there will be people that will use them, like they do Beckett, but PSA is where the money is.

Edited by comicwiz

1 minute ago, comicwiz said:

Sure, we'll never really know until they try, but given what I've watched going on between Beckett and PSA - and there is no question Beckett is the more competent of the two. Sure, there will be people that will use them, like they do Beckett, but PSA is where the money is.

I absolutely agree. There is also the branding issue.  When one mentions "CGC" or really at the point "CCG" the thought process steers toward comic books.   As I mentioned with the Jordan card, I have thought of sending it into be put in a different company's holder.  At this point I would not think of putting it in a CGC holder.  CGC is known for comics... a sports card belongs in a holder from a company that specializes in grading sports cards. 

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

I absolutely agree. There is also the branding issue.  When one mentions "CGC" or really at the point "CCG" the thought process steers toward comic books.   As I mentioned with the Jordan card, I have thought of sending it into be put in a different company's holder.  At this point I would not think of putting it in a CGC holder.  CGC is known for comics... a sports card belongs in a holder from a company that specializes in grading sports cards. 

Good thinking!

58 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

between Beckett and PSA - and there is no question Beckett is the more competent of the two, it's an impossible uphill climb. Sure, there will be people that will use them, like they do Beckett, but PSA is where the money is.

Possible to consign, buy, sell via ComC that has card and comic warehouses in USA and Canada. Beckett BGS 9.0 Impel Marvel 1990 hologram card for up to $11k each: ComC Marvel 'rookie' cards

Raw Stan Lee Impel Marvel 1990 base card offered at $500, etc. Disclosure: I do not work or currently consign with ComC.

14 minutes ago, aardvark88 said:

Possible to consign, buy, sell via ComC that has card and comic warehouses in USA and Canada. Beckett BGS 9.0 Impel Marvel 1990 hologram card for up to $11k each: ComC Marvel 'rookie' cards

Raw Stan Lee Impel Marvel 1990 base card offered at $500, etc. Disclosure: I do not work or currently consign with ComC.

It's hard to really gauge what exactly is going on in this speculative frenzy, but you cannot rule out that IF this is a legitimate sale, that person sees an opportunity to get a PSA 10.

I've seen it before with some big money cards, and not these modern era cards, but cards which were wirecut, were notorious for machine track marks, bubble gum residue, and people still took the chance on BVG for the crack resub game. I don't know what a PSA 10 would even look like if someone is willing to blow 11K+ on a '91 holo.

Sorry, this sort of thing is crazy town to me. If you've got it, all the power to you. But this chase for 10's, mixed in with these near year (or longer) wait times will mean lots of rivers overflowing with tears.

43 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

I know we talk about inconsistent grading, but when it comes to centering, PSA is all over the place man. The main issue I see with this card is that because these were included along with a card advertising merchandise (a t-shirt if I recall correctly), depending on how the comic was stored (mine were in a bag with backing board), there may have been impression marks on the card from the way those two cards lay in the back of the polybag (usually the deadpool, front facing, with the other card beneath it. You don't have the option of stacking them neatly in the bag when where's two cards floating around freely like that. I just took mine out and one (the better centered of the two) has a very slight curve at the top left corner, the other has these two very tiny indents along the top edge, which you won't see unless you look under magnification. I have no idea how these will grade, or if I'll even remember I sent them in to get graded by the time they're ready to be returned to me. lol

Edited by comicwiz

49 minutes ago, comicwiz said:

I know we talk about inconsistent grading, but when it comes to centering, PSA is all over the place man. The main issue I see with this card is that because these were included along with a card advertising merchandise (a t-shirt if I recall correctly), depending on how the comic was stored (mine were in a bag with backing board), there may have been impression marks on the card from the way those two cards lay in the back of the polybag (usually the deadpool, front facing, with the other card beneath it. You don't have the option of stacking them neatly in the bag when where's two cards floating around freely like that. I just took mine out and one (the better centered of the two) has a very slight curve at the top left corner, the other has these two very tiny indents along the top edge, which you won't see unless you look under magnification. I have no idea how these will grade, or if I'll even remember I sent them in to get graded by the time they're ready to be returned to me. lol

Interesting... would a press help? Yes. I'm bringing it up.