• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Incredible Hulk 180, 181, 182

14 posts in this topic

Hello all, I just recently joined CGC so forgive my ignorance. First, I love all things super heroes but I do not collect. I have these three comic books that I bought some 15 years ago purely out of accident (was included in a box of comics and Pokemon stuff). I am waiting for the packaging box to get here so that I can send them off to be graded. My question is, I want to maximize my profits but not sure where to go. My first instinct is EBAY. Should I pursue other avenues? Sell individual or as a set of  3? I have probably 25 of the hulk comics but those seem to be the ones worth grading. Thanks for any replies and sorry if I sound like a goon! 

I’d say wait and see what grades you get back, that’ll give you an idea of how best to sell. In high grade they’ll all fetch good money individually, obviously 181 can go for plenty. So eBay is an easy sell but then you’ve got high fees to pay.

Im UK based so don’t have many other auction options but if you end up with high grades you can research selling via somewhere like comiclink.

Good luck!

3 hours ago, Lance8517 said:

Hello all, I just recently joined CGC so forgive my ignorance. First, I love all things super heroes but I do not collect. I have these three comic books that I bought some 15 years ago purely out of accident (was included in a box of comics and Pokemon stuff). I am waiting for the packaging box to get here so that I can send them off to be graded. My question is, I want to maximize my profits but not sure where to go. My first instinct is EBAY. Should I pursue other avenues? Sell individual or as a set of  3? I have probably 25 of the hulk comics but those seem to be the ones worth grading. Thanks for any replies and sorry if I sound like a goon! 

Your best bet is sending them for auction at Mycomicshop.com. They have the best expense/exposure ratio and you avoid returns and fraudulent buyers.

6 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Your best bet is sending them for auction at Mycomicshop.com. They have the best expense/exposure ratio and you avoid returns and fraudulent buyers.

Good advice so far.

See what the grades are, but MyComicShop is a great option to maximize your return and avoid eBay fees. 

If your interested in doing some home work, you could try to sell them here or places like FB market place to avoid fees all together. Otherwise, MCS will do the work for you. 

I would not recommend eBay for the sale.

I would recommend listing them directly on Comiclink, Comic Connect, or MCS in the for sale area.  They will charge you the same amount that eBay would and you are responsible for shipping it to them once it sells.   Unlike eBay though they will guarantee the sale once they have verified the book.   So even if the buyer gets the book and pulls a, "I don't feel this is a strong enough 9.2 and it's really a 9.0 I want a refund". Comiclink, Comic Connect and MCS will pay you, and then tell the buyer to pound sand or take it back and list in in their own auctions.   

So long as you uphold your end of the bargain they will make you whole.  Those auction houses act as a third party verifier while eBay does not.   It is also why as a buyer, I tend to buy strictly from the auction houses because they verify what that the seller is actually providing what I am paying for.   eBay does not do that. 

If you want to roll the dice at an auction, then why not go for an auction house that resets the time on every new bid like Heritage or Comic Connect. 

1 hour ago, Buzzetta said:

I would not recommend eBay for the sale.

I would recommend listing them directly on Comiclink, Comic Connect, or MCS in the for sale area.  They will charge you the same amount that eBay would and you are responsible for shipping it to them once it sells.   Unlike eBay though they will guarantee the sale once they have verified the book.   So even if the buyer gets the book and pulls a, "I don't feel this is a strong enough 9.2 and it's really a 9.0 I want a refund". Comiclink, Comic Connect and MCS will pay you, and then tell the buyer to pound sand or take it back and list in in their own auctions.   

So long as you uphold your end of the bargain they will make you whole.  Those auction houses act as a third party verifier while eBay does not.   It is also why as a buyer, I tend to buy strictly from the auction houses because they verify what that the seller is actually providing what I am paying for.   eBay does not do that. 

If you want to roll the dice at an auction, then why not go for an auction house that resets the time on every new bid like Heritage or Comic Connect. 

Good advice here

why not go for an auction house that resets the time on every new bid like Heritage or Comic Connect. 

Mycomicshop also resets the time on every new bid and it has the cheapest comission compared to the others you mentionned.

For books like these, I feel an auction is the best way to go.

Just now, William-James88 said:

Mycomicshop also resets the time on every new bid and it has the cheapest comission compared to the others you mentionned.

For books like these, I feel an auction is the best way to go.

But does it have the exposure at auction that the others do?  

And that is a real question. 

We should rate the major houses by auctions and listings.  MCS has an incredible depth of back issues of all ages but I rate that higher than I do the level of things they carry at auction.  This leads me to kind of forget not so much disregard them.

Comiclink auctions are a must see event for me each month.  To be fair though, I do not search through their 'exchange' as frequently. 

I used to view ComicConnect as a must go every month but in the last year, what they bring to the monthly auction block is sort of pale in comparison to what they used to do.   However, their Metropolis listings are top of the line as is their exchange. 

Heritage seems to have faded a bit at their "big event' auctions when it comes to comic books in terms of depth but the reality seems to be that they seem slightly diluted due to expansion with Sunday auctions going to two days, an increase in art offerings and the introduction of graded video games. I usually do not check their 'exchange' anymore. (Make an offer to the buyer)

It would be an interesting poll to see... 

You figure you would include Heritage, MCS, Comiclink, ComicConnect in such a poll...

Pedigree maybe?  

Are there any other auction house / exchanges?

1 minute ago, Buzzetta said:

But does it have the exposure at auction that the others do?  

And that is a real question. 

It does. I can attest to that, both as a buyer and an auction seller. And yes, bigger more expensive books show up more at Heritage and Comiclink but that only means that when a big book shows up at Mycomicshop, it has a HUGE effect. In terms of money you make, you will make as much at Mycomicshop than Heritage. I know there are examples of a comic selling for more on Heritage than MCS BUT they are looking at the final price and not how much the seller made. Hertiage has an extra 20% buyer premium which they show in the final price and the seller sees none of that extra money.

And anyways, Heritage needs a minimum of 5000$ worth of consignments, and MCS has no minimum.

2 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

It does. I can attest to that, both as a buyer and an auction seller. And yes, bigger more expensive books show up more at Heritage and Comiclink but that only means that when a big book shows up at Mycomicshop, it has a HUGE effect. In terms of money you make, you will make as much at Mycomicshop than Heritage. I know there are examples of a comic selling for more on Heritage than MCS BUT they are looking at the final price and not how much the seller made. Hertiage has an extra 20% buyer premium which they show in the final price and the seller sees none of that extra money.

And anyways, Heritage needs a minimum of 5000$ worth of consignments, and MCS has no minimum.

Then I will pay more attention then to MCS auctions moving forward.

I would still like to see if such a poll could be made in ranking the auction houses awarding points levels for top picks.   

Who is your go to auction house for comic listings in your order of preference? 1st pick gets 4pts, 2nd gets 3pts and so on... 

Who is your go to auction house for actual auctions in your order of preference? (blah blah)

I am playing with it but don't see the ability to do that on a google form... 

Then I will pay more attention then to MCS auctions moving forward.

Please don't. I don't need more people bidding against me :D

I really like the auctions on mycomicshop. You find stuff there you don't see on heritage. Like Heritage would have this 5 issue lot of strange adventures and you are stuck having to spend 200 to buy them all where as on MCS you could just bid on that one issue you want. It's basically like shopping at Walmart vs shopping at Costco. I've left walmart with a bill of less than 100$ several times but I never leave costco without 200$ worth of stuff. And it is similar stuff, just different quantities or qualities.

Edited by William-James88