• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

please grade this hulk 181
1 1

37 posts in this topic

58 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

It appears to be a bag/sleeve..I don't see an inner well..lots o' glare tho

Yes. Down the left side looks like the tell tale signs of the side of a slab. Perhaps a scanner artifact. I kind of wish people would only offer pictures to grade of books they already have or ebay shots that the seller has put up lots of pictures. This "Please Grade My Front  Cover" thing is getting old.

7 minutes ago, rckstr1253 said:

Sorry it’s a book I’m looking at but it’s graded by the P company so I didn’t want to break the rules and show a competitions name on here.  

Now it's clear..If this book appears under-graded, then I can understand your desire to crack out and submit...I would be surprised if it graded at 8.0 ( sticking to 7.5 ) or higher at cgc..$.02...based solely on the FC and BC...previous defects may be missed between the pages that would make this pricey book a gamble....

Edited by Funnybooks

12 minutes ago, rckstr1253 said:

Sorry it’s a book I’m looking at but it’s graded by the P company so I didn’t want to break the rules and show a competitions name on here.  

I thought it looked slabbed. Well, given what I can see, I would go 7.0-7.5 0r so. I know the lower right FC has a printing defect on some that doesn't dtract from grading. It has enough hatchet marks where I would go 7.0-7.5. Looks like a nice enough book! Remember to buy the book and not the label. If it looks good enough for you, then it's the book for you. If "our" grading is way out of line and is possibly higher, mention it or make an offer to the seller.

I really feel that if this "P" book was graded recently, it has a better chance of being "accurate". How close have we come in our grading so far?

Just now, rckstr1253 said:

Thanks guys. Yea the P company has it graded at 8.5.  So I was thinking on buying it and sending it to cgc to be regraded but I’d want a cgc 8.0 out of it at least

I mean, 8.0 would be where I am at personally. Plus I love a good date stamp. My concerns are the spine and bottom left which to me, keep it lower than 9.0 and to be safe, I call it 8.0. I think a clean would help the back for sure. If the price is right, I would go for it. But the price has to be right. I don't see worse than a 7.5 and even that seems harsh. 

3 minutes ago, rckstr1253 said:

Thanks guys. Yea the P company has it graded at 8.5.  So I was thinking on buying it and sending it to cgc to be regraded but I’d want a cgc 8.0 out of it at least

Man, I dunno about that. When was it graded? A long time ago? I doubt CGC will 8.5 it. MAYBE 8.0 but it's a risk. Why not find another 8.5 or 8.0 that looks a little better? The book isn't hard to find. Seems more people want to sell it than buy it.

9 minutes ago, rckstr1253 said:

I would buy it if priced at 7.5 or less and submit to cgc hoping it hits an 8.0 ( or better )..no harm no foul in this scenario...

we tend to sometimes grade more conservatively around here

Edited by Funnybooks

1 minute ago, Funnybooks said:

I would buy it if priced at 7.5 or less and submit to cgc hoping it hits an 8.0 ( or better )..no harm no foul in this scenario...

Can't LOSE in this scenario IMO. The book keeps climbing regardless of grade. You would prolly make up the difference in grading and THEN some in less than two years. To me, owning a book like that would be a coup. I have no interest in the book myself, but can think of a few "P" books I would buy just because of the book itself. Like a "P" Bat 227 9.6 that looked like a 9.4. Maybe even 9.2. But. I suck at speculating. With my luck, someone would find an entire warehouse of undistributed 9.8's and shoot the legs out from underneath it. LOL!

1 minute ago, Randall Ries said:

Can't LOSE in this scenario IMO. The book keeps climbing regardless of grade. You would prolly make up the difference in grading and THEN some in less than two years. To me, owning a book like that would be a coup. I have no interest in the book myself, but can think of a few "P" books I would buy just because of the book itself. Like a "P" Bat 227 9.6 that looked like a 9.4. Maybe even 9.2. But. I suck at speculating. With my luck, someone would find an entire warehouse of undistributed 9.8's and shoot the legs out from underneath it. LOL!

Let me know what you spec on so that I can sell my copy before the warehouse find :idea:

6 minutes ago, Funnybooks said:

Let me know what you spec on so that I can sell my copy before the warehouse find :idea:

Haha. I'm like Shleprock in that regard.

"Randall Ries buys his first Batman #1! Sells his blood, sperm, two limbs, several toes and fingers and children to afford a 6.0!"

Next day:

"Amazing find! Jerry Robinson, late creator of the 'Joker' and artist for DC comics had a previously undiscovered underground bunker. 10,000 copies each of Batman's #1-100 found! All pristine like they just slid off the printing press into a plastic sleeve! Value plummets on entire title! Investors in ruins! Many jumping from sky scrapers! Including a guy with missing limbs, digits and suspicious stains on his Levi's!"

Edited by Randall Ries