• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Inconsistent grades?

5 posts in this topic

Hi I am nee to CGC and had some questions. I have a couple of SS books, one is a 9.8 and the other is 9.4. 

Honestly the 9.8 looks bad to me, and worse than the 9.4. Anyone else have a similar experience? I bought these slabbed so it is possible that there is interior damage in the 9.4 although there is nothing in the notes. 

Not trying to be a troll or anything, just looking for feedback. 

Does cgc go easier on books from cons?

I think basically the graders are human, so are not perfectly consistent all the time.  They make mistakes, they are subject to rushing, laziness, good days and bad, etc.  the same can be said for the encapsulation people and process, so sometimes they’re damaged after grading.

so while certainly there might be anecdotal evidence of some trends in some cases or over periods, it would be hard to broadly apply a theory like that.

On 2/15/2021 at 1:55 PM, rodolfomartinez said:

Hi I am nee to CGC and had some questions. I have a couple of SS books, one is a 9.8 and the other is 9.4. 

Honestly the 9.8 looks bad to me, and worse than the 9.4. Anyone else have a similar experience? I bought these slabbed so it is possible that there is interior damage in the 9.4 although there is nothing in the notes. 

Not trying to be a troll or anything, just looking for feedback. 

Does cgc go easier on books from cons?

a 9.8 can certainly look worse than a 9.4 and that's because people do not know the definition of a 9.8

To get a 9.8 your book has to show absolutely 0 wear AFTER production.

For instance, Amazing Spider-man 361 has a production flaw which includes an actual tear on the cover. It looks bad.

And yet, because that is done during production and not after, you can get a 9.8.

You can have an Amazing Spider-man 362 with a smaller tear on the cover but if that tear is done after production, then you'r book will be a 9.2 or less.

Some modern books have garbage spines with colour flakes all over but since that's during production, you can get a 9.8. 

Same goes for corner chips, which can give you a really ugly 9.8 as well, something a 9.4 with very slight creases would not have.

So there you have it, loads of reasons for a 9.8 to look far worse than a 9.4. Still makes it a 9.8 and it does not mean grading is inconsistent, it just means some people understand how grading works and others don't.

And no, CGC does not go easier for books at cons. The only instance where CGC goes easier is on the Church Pedigree books, but to be fair, the grades on those books feel more like a formality than anything else, no one is choosing them over another copy because of the specific grade (9.6 rather than 9.4).

Edited by William-James88