• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC grading for manufacturing defects
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Wondoring what CGC’s grading standards are for books with manufacturing tears to the interior pages. Specifically, I have several books with small pin holes and tears at the bottom of interior pages. It looks like the paper was damaged while being sorted through a feeder. I’ve attached an image of a book with similar damage that I found on the web. Any thoughts on how these types of defects grade out? Can books with these defects still achieve a 9.4 to 9.8 grade range?

Thanks for your thoughts.

27310639-3F32-494F-8FD4-13DCD7C2A139.jpeg

2 hours ago, Nilo2 said:

Hi all,

Wondoring what CGC’s grading standards are for books with manufacturing tears to the interior pages. Specifically, I have several books with small pin holes and tears at the bottom of interior pages. It looks like the paper was damaged while being sorted through a feeder. I’ve attached an image of a book with similar damage that I found on the web. Any thoughts on how these types of defects grade out? Can books with these defects still achieve a 9.4 to 9.8 grade range?

Thanks for your thoughts.

27310639-3F32-494F-8FD4-13DCD7C2A139.jpeg

My Amazing Spider-man 361 had manufacturing tears in the inner pages and came back 9.6

Hi Everyone. I have been collecting for 55 years or more so that dates me. I would like to see  cgc and collectors start to relieve the rules on archival repairs. There are many books that I have graded that I sent in to save them from the dust bin. I have seen a ton of books that are not being sent in because of the dollar amount. While I believe in the best to get the best price we are going to lose the historical value of this hobby. Once gone what do you think will be left?  Comics are a degradable product as part of our R&D we should be making it easier to save them by accepting the efforts of collectors that are trying to do that.