• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Baltimore Con Report

50 posts in this topic

My Baltimore ComicCon report (with apologies to Cheech and Chong):

On the first day of the Baltimore Comic Con, I got up.

Then I went downtown to look for a job.

Then I hung out in the parking lot of the convenience store.

Then I went home.

On the second day of the Baltimore Comic Con, I got up.

Then I hung out in the parking lot of the convenience store.

Then I went home.

On the third day of the Baltimore Comic Con, I got up.

Then I got a job

keeping kids from hanging out in the parking lot of the convenience store.

Then I went home.

My son and I attended the show on Saturday. I especially enjoyed meeting for the first time or catching up with several regular forum members, including Red Hook, Foolkiller, Chrisco, Solar, and Delekkerste. thumbsup2.gif The panel discussions were not particularly of interest for me, so we pretty much kept to rummaging through boxes and perusing walls of books for decent deals. A couple of folks from Gemstone joined us for lunch, and I learned more about Geppi's collectibles museum, which sounds like a most cool place to spend a jawdropping day, and about Hakes' Americana auctions, which tend to have small numbers of comics available, but which I highly recommend others check out, owing to the lack of a buyer's premium and the chance to get the occasional reasonable price. Nice folks working there, too.

The show was well attended, and the usual cast of dealers were there - unfortunately, I did not find anyone offering a new collection of high grade Silver Age material. Made trade/cash deals to acquire raw books from the usual suspects: Harley Yee, Ted Van Liew, Al Stoltz and Joe Veranaut (sp?). I'll post a couple of my catches later today. Charlie, my 13 year old, had a terrific time at the Northcoast Nostalgia booth, which was stocked with 5 short boxes of early silver age beaters at terrific prices. He has no interest in the new Superhero books, but seems to do just fine with the old Lee, Kirby, Ditko and Steranko stuff, and he especially goes for Thor, Avengers, and Nick Fury books.

I look forward to hearing about the forum dinner, and the fun and frolic from other attendees.

Hey, Mark -- kudos to you for organizing a great dinner. I had a blast hanging out with you and the Mrs. Remind me next time we go looking for our cars, drunk, at 1 a.m. in the morning in downtown Baltimore to bring a can of mace. At points I felt like I was in the parking garage episode of Seinfeld and other times I felt like I was in Death Wish. Maybe one of these days we'll find out if a CGC slab can stop a .22 bullet from a Saturday night special. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Shield Agent, it was awesome hanging out with you and your daughter again. The pics say it all. I've never seen anyone who didn't like comics have such a fun time. It's only a matter of time before she starts to like at least one comic. Hopefully it won't be that Detective 1! That puppy was priced at $40K. foreheadslap.gif

The Chris as Wolverine picture is great too. An instant classic! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I will post some more thoughts later. In the meantime, it was great seeing old friends and meeting lots of forumites - and hail.gifBob hail.gifOverstreet hail.gif - for the first time. thumbsup2.gif

Joe