• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Oh man this makes me nervous...

35 posts in this topic

STRANGE TALES 111 VF+VERY RARE IN THIS CONDITION

Wanted a nice VF copy of this book for a loooooong time, and the price was more than right but...

Scans were obviously cropped... but the guys feedback was pretty good... except for 2 negs from the same person... 893scratchchin-thumb.gifmm... Should I do it??? I wrote newavengersguy and he replied quickly:

Hi,no trimming or other restoration that I can find.It just seems untouched through the years.

This may be a hard lesson, but 893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Look at the large scan.

A 1" crease bottom right.

I see some stuff on the cropped spine too.

Hopefully it might be a VF.

Always be prepared for at least a 0.5 - 1.0 level of disappointment with crappy scans.

They are hiding something. poke2.gif

Good Luck. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

It amy be a nice book, but the photo looks cropped to me. I would ask for a better scan.

Yes, the spine seems cropped. I'd ask for a full scan with a darker background.

Too late he bought it. gossip.gif

back cover top staple looks like it isn't where the holes are, could be me getting old tho

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Yep. I looked inside and sure enough, the staples have been taken out. The book is re-stapled nicely, but I knew this was too good to be true. 893censored-thumb.gif

I'm not gonna neg the guy because I think it was partially my fault for impulsively buying the book before getting better scans.

Don't neg him, but don't take it lying down either. At least mention the condition of the staples and discrepency in grading. You might be able to concede an appropriate refund for the difference (not knowing what the book goes for guide). Just be professional and not an arse-wipe.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

back cover top staple looks like it isn't where the holes are, could be me getting old tho

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yep. I looked inside and sure enough, the staples have been taken out. The book is re-stapled nicely, but I knew this was too good to be true.

I'm not gonna neg the guy because I think it was partially my fault for impulsively buying the book before getting better scans.

I would think that restapling a book would qualify as restoration. I know you don't want to neg the guy, but unless he's going to give a full refund, by not negging him you're allowing him free reign to continue to sell [embarrassing lack of self control].

As bad as it might seem that CGC missed some trim jobs, buying RAW books off of eBay is pure SH!TTTTTTT!!!!!!