• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

USPS missing contents and insurance
1 1

3 posts in this topic

I sold $500 worth of books and the buyer messaged me saying there is a sticker on the outside of the box saying contents missing.

My receipt shows the box weighed 1 lb 9.90 ozs when I mailed it from the usps mailing center.

I paid for $500 worth of insurance.

I added signature required but of course the buyer says he didnt have to sign for it and the signature on the tracking is a bunch of random letters.

My question is, has anyone else had this issue and had to deal with usps insurance?

I just wanna know what I'm in for.

Heres the pics I got sent

Screenshot_20210226-171857_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210226-171855_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210226-171852_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210226-171850_Chrome.jpg

For a claim of that value, I would go directly to your originating post office (wherever it was accepted) and speak to the postmaster.  Show him/her your photos, proof that you insured it, etc.  They can help you with a claim.  That sticker should help substantiate it. 

One problem is that the photos don't show the label for necessary info like tracking, date sent, weight, recipient, sender, etc.  The sticker could have been applied anywhere along the journey, but most likely at the drop point.  Maybe they can tell who the initials belong to.

Did the buyer open it yet to see what, if anything, is missing, or can he tell if it is empty?  Did he contact you without opening it, seeing a potential problem and checking with you first?  It doesn't say "contents missing".  It says "received unsealed".  The 2 are not mutually exclusive.

3 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

For a claim of that value, I would go directly to your originating post office (wherever it was accepted) and speak to the postmaster.  Show him/her your photos, proof that you insured it, etc.  They can help you with a claim.  That sticker should help substantiate it. 

One problem is that the photos don't show the label for necessary info like tracking, date sent, weight, recipient, sender, etc.  The sticker could have been applied anywhere along the journey, but most likely at the drop point.  Maybe they can tell who the initials belong to.

Did the buyer open it yet to see what, if anything, is missing, or can he tell if it is empty?  Did he contact you without opening it, seeing a potential problem and checking with you first?  It doesn't say "contents missing".  It says "received unsealed".  The 2 are not mutually exclusive.

He took a video for me of him opening it and it being empty.

I have photos with all the info, I was just showing where it came unsealed at and the added stickers.

I'm just asking if anyone here has had to deal with large insurance claim with usps.

I'm not trying to play detective and figure what and how this happened