• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My B'More Con Report

65 posts in this topic

Part 2:

Did my eyes deceive me? My heart skipped a beat and took another look in the mirror’s reflection. Braided pony-tail still there. I turned around to check again. The man was standing with his back to me, so I still couldn’t see the face. I looked down to see a pair or Red Converse All-Stars!!! But, I still wasn’t sure. The figure turned around. I saw the bolo-tie and I knew my initial instincts were correct!!!! I was standing in the presence of greatness! hail.gif My voice quivered, “Chuck Rozanski?”. “Howdy!” was the reply from the smiling man, hand extended for a hand-shake. “I love your emails!” was all I could say. He thanked me. I had a million questions running thru my head; should I ask him about grading? About Church? About his over-pricing? “No!” I thought, I had a better idea. I told him that I was the proud owner of a few pages of “3 Geeks” artwork by his good friend, Rich Koslowski and that one of the pages had him (Chuck) on it, “Are you going to be at the show tomorrow? If so, would you mind signing the page for me?”. “Sure I will!” said Chuck, still smiling. I thanked him and left the restroom. As I was headed out, I heard a voice, “Chris!”. I turned around and it was TomG following me out of the bathroom, laughing his arse off. “That was classic!”, said Tom. I was all smiles as I headed back into the show to tell everyone of my luck. smile.gif

Now, many of you know that I am one of the big blasters of Chuck/Mile High on these forums. I stand by my comments, but will say that he really was one of the most friendly dealers I’ve met. I saw him a few other times throughout the day, always smiling. He was also much taller than I had imagined. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Wandered around yet again and ran into Harry (ShieldAgent) and his daughter at Marc’s booth. Donut had just picked up some sweet books from Mark Zaid (Esquire). Whiz #2, Detective #1, Cap #1, Subby #1, Four Color #9; it was the motherload of keys!!! (See Harry’s post for some pics). We chatted and, as usual, Harry was on the lookout for his grail. I also took some pics with my disposable camera (yep, I still don’t have a digi-cam). I met back up with Brett and we went over to Rich Henn’s booth in Artist Alley. Talked with Rich and his buddy, Russ, for awhile about the forthcoming Forum Dinner and his comic, Zoomies. I picked up a copy of Zoomies and had to practically beg Rich to take my money for it. I urge everyone to check it out. It’s poignant and hilarious all at once. Rich is very talented and also has made some great films about the industry. PM him and check them out!!!! thumbsup2.gif

I then decided, since I wasn’t having any luck finding Astro City trades, that I would look for the “impossible variant”, Miracleman 3D, 2D version for EwanUK and myself. I looked at about 20-30 copies at the show of the regular edition, hoping to find the diamond in the rough. Alas, it did not turn up. My search turned to finding any trade I possibly could that I might enjoy reading. I found a Cerebus Phone Book Vol. 1 for 40% off cover and decided that would work. I headed back outside for a smoke and ran into Lantern and his wife as they were headed into the show (I had just spoken to them on the phone). Chatted it up with them and we headed back in and ran into Mark Zaid. Mark had a bunch of his anti-commie books in tow and he talked to Lantern and Tori about his latest TV appearance and some of his recent cases. Fascinating stuff that I can’t recall the details of (just in case big bro is watching). I told Mark that I was looking forward to the dinner, and then I left Brian and Tori so they could get some shopping done.

Walked around some more, looking for more MM#15’s. It was just about this time that I stopped by a booth that was selling sets of books. In the middle of the table, I saw a package of Miracleman #1-16, marked at $200. I grabbed it and was going to ask the guy if I could open it to look at the #15, but when I turned it over, the #15 was showing. It was a really nice copy (easy 9.4). I talked with the guy a bit and he tried to get me to buy it. I hemmed and hawed a bit and his partner came by and said 20% off. I told him he had a deal and went off to get some more money. I was extremely satisfied with my purchase as I basically bought a #15 and got the rest for free. yay.gifyay.gifyay.gif I saw Foolkiller and Dam60 walking and went over to them to show them my luck. Brian congratulated me and then cursed himself for missing it earlier. Talked to them some more and then left to try and find the remaining issues of the series to fill out a run for eBay.

After that, I met back up with Solar and we were off to the forum dinner at Shula’s 2 a few blocks away…

(To be continued)

Part 2:

but will say that he really was one of the most friendly and handsome dealers I’ve met. I saw him a few other times throughout the day, always smiling. He was also much taller than I had imagined

Chrisco and Chuckles sitting in a tree...K I S S I N G... insane.gif

Part 2:

but will say that he really was one of the most friendly and handsome dealers I’ve met. I saw him a few other times throughout the day, always smiling. He was also much taller than I had imagined

Chrisco and Chuckles sitting in a tree...K I S S I N G... insane.gif

frustrated.giffrustrated.giffrustrated.gif

Did my eyes deceive me? My heart skipped a beat and took another look in the mirror’s reflection. Braided pony-tail still there. I turned around to check again. The man was standing with his back to me, so I still couldn’t see the face. I looked down to see a pair or Red Converse All-Stars!!! But, I still wasn’t sure. The figure turned around. I saw the bolo-tie and I knew my initial instincts were correct!!!! I was standing in the presence of greatness! hail.gif My voice quivered, “Chuck Rozanski?”. “Howdy!” was the reply from the smiling man, hand extended for a hand-shake.

Ewwwwwwwww! I'm assuming his back was to you because he was standing at a urinal? Ewwwwwwwwww.

Did my eyes deceive me? My heart skipped a beat and took another look in the mirror’s reflection. Braided pony-tail still there. I turned around to check again. The man was standing with his back to me, so I still couldn’t see the face. I looked down to see a pair or Red Converse All-Stars!!! But, I still wasn’t sure. The figure turned around. I saw the bolo-tie and I knew my initial instincts were correct!!!! I was standing in the presence of greatness! hail.gif My voice quivered, “Chuck Rozanski?”. “Howdy!” was the reply from the smiling man, hand extended for a hand-shake.

Ewwwwwwwww! I'm assuming his back was to you because he was standing at a urinal? Ewwwwwwwwww.

No, he was waiting for one to open up. It was crowded.

No, he was waiting for one to open up. It was crowded.

Thank God.....

893whatthe.gif You better get checked for West Nile Virus, Chrisco! insane.gif

For those that are still following this.....

Part 3:

After asking the attendant for directions thru the maze of a parking garage, Brett and I arrived at Shula’s (conveniently located only a few blocks from the Con). We met up with a rowdy group in the bar that included Borock, JC Vaughn, TomG & wife, Arnold & his wife, and others. After a few drinks (Iced tea for me), Zaid showed up and got us into our private room. The room resembled the scene from “The Untouchables”. You know the one, and a few of us even commented as such. More drinks and merriment as the room filled with happy collectors and industry folk. I took a seat next to JC Vaughn and Paul (Silverandbronze) and across from BronzeBruce and Redhook. The two seats to Bruce’s right were empty although he clearly had showered and looked quite presentable. tongue.gif

Appetizers were served; Southwest Eggrolls and the tastiest Bruschetta were the surprise appetizers. As we were all stuffing our faces and reliving the days adventure, the door opened and in walked the Man, the Legend, Mr. Bob Overstreet and his lovely wife. hail.gif I’d never seen him before, but I knew right away that it was him. Steve ran over and welcomed him and sat them (Oh Joy!) right next to Bruce. Steve then made an announcement and everyone had to introduce themselves. It reminded me of an AA meeting, but it was pretty cool to hear everyone’s story and comic interests. Mr. Overstreet, naturally, got a round of applause. As did Arnold for his hilarious introduction. 27_laughing.gif Lantern also got one from a young admirer, lil’ Grace Diesel (although she missed hitting her hands together, the intent was there).

Dinner orders were taken and we continued munching on apps. I had a good conversation w/ JC about Indian cuisine, something we both seemed to be experienced in. Really cool guy. Had a great conversation with Redhook about non-comic related things. Pictures were taken, including the obligatory “Table knife Wolverine” pose that Harry posted (I also have one of Rich Henn). Salads were served and a few of us had an exchange with Mrs. Overstreet as to the types of salad dressings that were available. Very nice lady. She seemed a little disturbed when Bruce went into his "Slingblade" impression but, other than that, I think we were pretty good. I wanted to speak w/ Overstreet as I was close, but between being star-struck and Borock hogging him poke2.gif(Borock will say he was helping with the conversation, but you all know better) I only got to ask him if he ever envisioned that his guide would become the hobby’s bible. He said no. Dinner was served and was absolutely outstanding. A big, huge Kudos to Mark for his efforts. thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif Much better than the one that chump, whats-his-name, put together last year. grin.gif Mark gets my vote every year for this task.

After dinner, more talking and drinking (I was still drinking ice tea acclaim.gif). I noticed Solar had moved over to Bob Overstreet and talked with him at length (way to go, Brett!). He relayed to me later on that Bob and he were talking about some books that Bob picked up at the show that he was going to return due to overgrading!!!! Brett and I got a good laugh about that. Who in their right mind would try and pull something like that!!!!! 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif As the evening started to wind down and many of the attendees had left, I got the chance to meet Chris (theCollector) who had come all the way from Texas to join us. A really nice guy that really loves comics and knows his stuff. It was at that point that Borock asked if we wanted to see the “new label”. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif We did and he told us about the new plans and new labels, ALL BLUE. I liked them and Steve’s explanation and reasoning was sound and it shouldn’t pose a problem. If anything, it will better educate the masses. We hung out a bit longer and then said goodbyes. It was almost midnight by then and Brett and I headed out to my car to make the trek back to my place.

When we got back to my place, I showed Brett my comic room and my stuff. Told my girlfriend about the days events (she was unimpressed, but was glad we had a good time). Showed Brett my New Avengers #1 McNiven variant and he said to slab it as he thought it was a 9.8 (an opinion confirmed the next day by Foolkiller), so I’ll send it off as Brett has a great eye for grades. He pulls some sweet books. Finally hit the sack at 2am to get ready for Sunday…. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

The End. (Unless you guys want a Sunday report too).