• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My B'More Con Report

65 posts in this topic

Here's the Wolverine Pic for those that missed it in Harry's post (in Events):

WOLVERCHRIS.jpg

Notice that I'm supporting ACTOR with my wristband. acclaim.gif

Oh man, the mock-ups I can make with this little gem.... yay.gif

Here's the Wolverine Pic for those that missed it in Harry's post (in Events):

WOLVERCHRIS.jpg

Notice that I'm supporting ACTOR with my wristband. acclaim.gif

Oh man, the mock-ups I can make with this little gem.... yay.gif

Well....what are you waiting for????? blush.gifblush.gifblush.gif

Showed Brett my New Avengers #1 McNiven variant and he said to slab it as he thought it was a 9.8 (an opinion confirmed the next day by Foolkiller), so I’ll send it off as Brett has a great eye for grades. He pulls some sweet books. Finally hit the sack at 2am to get ready for Sunday…. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

The End. (Unless you guys want a Sunday report too).

I saw the McNiven 1 variant was priced raw at Balto for $75 - $100; but it was the only New Avengers variant priced that high. The other ones were a little more reasonable and some of the New Avengers 6-8 variants (not reprints) were going as low as $10 a piece.

WW214 was nowhere to be found? Neither was Flash 219? (the two books in the prelude to infinite crisis tp) But I saw WW219 priced minimum at $15 and as high as $35. I was walking around with 4 NM+ copies and should have offered them to a dealer - I should really work on that more...would've been nice to have those on-site slabbed and flipped that same night.. frown.gif

Omac 1 1st print selling from $10 - $20

Most of the crisis tie-in older books were around $5 and newer ones were $2.50 - $3 ea.

I missed out on the giveaway book too

I saw the McNiven 1 variant was priced raw at Balto for $75 - $100;

Yep. I saw from $40-70. No $100. In any case, I'm getting it graded as the copy is probably the best book I've ever picked off the shelf.

I missed out on the giveaway book too

You didn't miss anything. No special cover for B'more. Looked just like standard copy. I think Donut can verify this.

The show was then opened to the public and we almost got trampled by the stampede of fanboys running to Rob Liefeld’s booth.

That happened at Chicago too. What the heck, I thought EVERYONE was sick of that guy, but he just had tons and tons of people around his booth during the preview night. Amazing.

Congrats on the Miracleman run, nice buy.

Great report. thumbsup2.gif You need to get to Chicago next year gossip.gif

One of my most pleasantly surprising pickups from Baltimore.........

scrooge.jpg

First of all, let me assure you.....Red Hook is NOT into funny animals, Disney per se, etc.....but I picked this up

a) because Don Rosa was sitting three feet from me in the next booth.

and

b) I wanted to get something for my 7 year old nephew Austin.

So I picked up two copies and ......

have been knocked out by the level of ambitious story telling and the mind-boggling level of detail in the art. WOW.

Comments? I know Foolkiller picked up a copy too! Good move, Gemstone! thumbsup2.gif

Indeed Foolkiller did pick up a copy and WOW. First of all, as I told Don Rosa and as I will tell all of you, this book I believe is a seminal piece of comics work. I'm not sure it has the widespread impace (ok it doesn't) as say a Dark Knight Returns or Watchmen, but I think it is on that level of importance. Perhaps as important as say -- Kingdom Come, or for an indy impact, perhaps on the level of even something like Maus.

The attention to the historical background that was contained in the Barks books is incredible. And even if you are not a Ducks fan at all, you have to marvel at the accomplishment and the research and dedication that this work took.

If you have not read it, then I believe that for $16.99 it is one book you have to go out and get immediately. If you are a trade paperback collector or are assembling a "library" of trades, no library is complete without one.

I've always been a ducks fan, and I'm glad to see others experiencing this collection.

I wish I had access to a graemlin that looked mysterious as it motions you in closer. {{{{{{{{{{ join us}}}}}}}}}}}

My only regret for you guys is that you weren't raised on old Barks stories and refrences that Rosa sprinkles all throughout his stories. It would make an even bigger impact on you. thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Comments?

Good pickup. 893applaud-thumb.gif Barks and Rosa are STILL two of comic's best kept secrets. It blows my mind that virtually every time a list of the best creators is bandied about on the boards, Barks is left out. These guys put together volumes of the best storytelling and sequential art the medium ever produced, but all too often they are ignorantly relegated to the "childish" end of the hobby. It's always nice to see another person recognize the quality of the Ducks assemblage. I would suggest everyone pick up the Carl Barks Another Rainbow sets...I think it's literally impossible not to enjoy them.

yay.gif I'm with you Mica. I am excited that this storyline is receiving so much more attention now that it has been repackaged in a one-shot. Let's hope it's successful enough for a second with the extra episodes. You can also read a review of the book from a neophyte to the story and feel the same excitement Red and Foolkiller are exhibiting at The Fourth Rail and no surprise the same word WOW starts the review.

If this tpb was a dvd, it would be about a 5 disk set, because it boasts an ENORMOUS amount of extras. The material that Rosa has included between each of the twelve linked stories in this volume is impressive. If you are a neophyte, like myself, rest assured that Rosa will help bring you along, point out the allusions in the narrative and fill you in on all you need to know about the aim of the project. It's about as ambitious a project as say, From Hell , which is a strange comparison but it's the reach attempted in each project that transcends the concept of "comic book".

These are the kind of projects that make me proud to be an illustrator and comic fan. What a wonderful surprise. thumbsup2.gif

I did get a photo of Rosa at his booth. Here 'tis. I realize now that he kind of LOOKS like a human version of Scrooge himself! wink.gif

rosa.jpg

Wish I could have been there.....

I will get around to attending one of these forum dinners.....next convention season, if all goes well. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif I haven't had a vacation in 5 years.

Wish I could have been there.....

I will get around to attending one of these forum dinners.....next convention season, if all goes well. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif I haven't had a vacation in 5 years.

You're always welcome to join us at Mega-Con. Nothing beats back those Canadian winter blues than spending a February weekend in sunny Florida....uh-oh, that actually sounds like a vacation. poke2.gif

I met Mr. Rosa at heroescon and bought (believe it or not) a mickey mouse print for my wife (his only one). He was kind to draw a "happy" scrooge in my sketchbook for me. A really nice guy.

Aside from his incredible work, being set up next to him in Balt. was a pleasure. He was an incredibly nice guy to all of the people (with one warranted exception) who lined up to see him, and not at all tired of hearing the same thing over and over from so many fans. I was actually pretty timid about talking to him on Sat., but we had a couple of very brief and interesting (at least to me) discussions on Sun. that made me wish I was more outgoing the previous day. Great guy who seemed to have a great perspective on the industry.

First of all, let me assure you.....Red Hook is NOT into funny animals, Disney per se, etc.....but I picked this up

a) because Don Rosa was sitting three feet from me in the next booth.

and

b) I wanted to get something for my 7 year old nephew Austin.

So I picked up two copies and ......

have been knocked out by the level of ambitious story telling and the mind-boggling level of detail in the art. WOW.

foreheadslap.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gifmakepoint.gif