• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

My B'More Con Report

65 posts in this topic

In the great Greggy Tradition, here is my long-winded Con Report........(recalled to the best of my ability --- some events may be out of sequence, but they are all true!) There won't be much sales data, so if you're looking for that, you're screwed:

Part 1 – Saturday AM /Afternoon

I left early morning on Saturday for B’more and got to the Convention Center around 9:00am. 1st order of business was to find Steve Borock who hooked me up with a “Guest Badge” thumbsup2.gif (Harry posted a pic of the infamous badge). I came into the Center from an alternate entrance and just as I called Steve, I saw him and Ted (Superworld) chatting. Exchanged pleasantries with the two of them and we proceeded on to the registration booth.

After I checked in I went outside to give Brian (Foolkiller) a call and he told me that he was on his way, along with Dave (Dam60), Bruce (The Godfather), and Brad (Redhook). I went back inside to wait and ran into Bob (namisgr) and his son. smile.gifHad a nice chat with them about SA Marvels and a few books we we’re looking for. He told me he had brought with him a few Green River books for Brad. Bob is a really nice guy with great taste in books.

Went back outside to make a few more phone calls and Brian and his “posse” showed up. hi.gif Exchanged more pleasantries and got to meet Brad who I’ve chatted with on the boards since he joined, but never met in person. Despite his sometimes “tough guy” board demeanor, a nicer guy you could never meet. Brad was exactly the way he is in PM’s. Easy going and fun to talk to. He really cares a great deal about this hobby. It was my pleasure to meet him. I talked with him at length thru the day and at the forum dinner (but, I’m getting ahead of myself…).

After they jumped me into their gang, we entered the Con. Saw the usual suspects set up: Marc Nathan’s store, Superworld, Koop, Graham Crackers, Harley, etc…. No Bob Storms frown.gif, but I knew that going in so I was prepared. Went over to the ACTOR booth and saw John Romita Sr. setting up and a line was already forming (this was before the floor was opened up to the public). Walked around for awhile longer and made it over to Gemstone booth, where I saw Tom Gordon and Redhook (again). Spoke with Tom for a bit, and gave him my obligatory “Miracleman 3D Special, 2D version” spiel to which he has become accustom to. Tom is also a great guy and I enjoy talking to him every big show.

The show was then opened to the public and we almost got trampled by the stampede of fanboys running to Rob Liefeld’s booth. screwy.gif I walked around a bit more and went over to Marc Nathan’s booth as I saw Donut there. Chatted with him for a bit and he pointed out that the lovely Diane (Mrs. Donut) cloud9.gif was in-line for Jazzy John. She’s a fantastic person and I went over and chatted with her as well. She asked me how I had been (I’ve had some personal issues) and told me she and Dan were always there if I needed anything. This hobby is the greatest. So many good-hearted people. Sometimes with all the stuff that goes on, it’s easy to lose sight of that. The people I’ve met are true friends.

Armed with my $180 cash budget for the show, I began searching for books. First stop, Harley’s booth. I was picking thru his long boxes looking for FF’s and he invited me behind the counter. There were some younger kids at his booth and he sternly told them to be very careful with the books and showed them how to put them back in the box so as not to damage them. “Rookies”, I thought with a slight smile on my face. I saw a decent looking FF#34 on the wall and asked him if I could pull it down. He said “sure” and I took it down. A decent copy with nice color, but overpriced at $150. I went to put it back on the wall display and missed the rack. foreheadslap.gif The book fell to the floor and before Harley could really blast me, I was pulling out a credit card. No damage, but I felt obligated. I got a lot of flack from everyone for that one (the Rocketeer, who I didn’t see the whole show, laughed like the Joker when I spoke to him on the phone that evening tonofbricks.gif). At least it was a book I didn’t already own and it fits my FF run criteria, so not all was lost.

I wandered for a bit longer looking for discounted Astro City trades and Miracleman #15 to upgrade the VF+ copy that I bought in B’more last year. The entire show I could not find a single Astro City trade, let alone a discounted one. frustrated.gif Found a booth with a nice (9.2-9.4 ish) MM#15 and asked to see it. Book was marked at the standard $150 and I mulled it over. I gave it back to the guy and told him I might be back for it (I recorded the booth # and the book price so I could find him again if I decided to get it). Also made my way over to Artist Alley and saw Michael Lark. Told him I was excited for the upcoming Daredevil he was working on with Ed Brubaker and looked thru some art he had for sale. Some great stuff for pretty good prices, IMO. Nice guy to boot. A few other people stopped by and said the same thing about DD that I did. Tried to call Brett (Solar) as Bob had told me he saw him earlier.

Wandered around some more and got a call from Brett and met up with him. Another one of my favorite board members and fellow art collector. Brett’s art collection is just amazing and he told me that he had recently picked up another Sandman page (I still don’t have one)!!! He was “sans portfolio”, but said it was back at his car. I told him about Lark’s booth and we headed back over as I wanted him to see some of the pages. Checked them out again and then headed back over to see Donut. I was “eager” to tell him about the dropped FF and he chuckled. He was pretty busy manning Mark’s booth, so he asked if I wouldn’t mind standing in line to get a sketch from Terry Moore (Strangers in Paradise) for the 3-Minute Sketch book for ACTOR. For those of you not familiar with the book, it is a sketchbook that Dan is putting together to auction off at next year’s Con with all the proceeds going to ACTOR. It is a 3-ring binder filled with sketches on backboards by a ridiculous amount of artists, including: Cho, Romita Sr., Starlin, Oeming, etc, etc…. It’s so frikkin’ cool. The only stipulations to the book are all the sketches must be done within a 3 minute time limit and have to be kid-friendly. Since I hadn’t done anything at the ACTOR booth all day, I said sure. I’d never met Terry before, so I figured I could kill two birds with one stone. Made plans with Brett ot meet up for lunch at 12:30.

I went over to Terry’s booth and he was busy chatting with fans, signing stuff, and doing free sketches. I waited for awhile for my turn and chatted it up with his wife. She was such a nice lady and she absolutely loved the idea behind the 3-minute book. I met a nice lady in line as well who was a huge SIP fan and let her cut ahead of as I was last in line and the final sketch before Terry went to lunch. When it was my turn, I told Terry about the sketch book and that I had enjoyed his SIP stuff immensely. He loved the idea too, and gave me his watch so I could time it. He did a great Katchoo in 3 minutes on the dot. Katchoo was in a bra/bikini top, and Terry wrote underneath, “No time for shirt”. I thanked him and looked around for Donut to drop the book off. He wasn’t at Marc’s booth, so I wandered some more and saw Howard Chaykin and my arch-nemesis, Jim Starlin. I decided I might as well get them to do some 3 minute sketches.

I went to Chaykin first and asked. He declined saying he didn’t want to embarrass himself with a rushed sketch. I thought it strange as he usually is a pretty jovial guy, but OK whatever. I moved on to Starlin who, thankfully, didn’t recognize me and obliged with a 50 second sketch for the book. I didn’t recognize the character, but it looked like a monk or something. By this time, Donut was back at the booth and I dropped the book off and went to meet up with Brett for some lunch in the Inner Harbor.

Brett and I headed over to the Inner Harbor, but first made a quick stop to his car to drop of our stuff and for him to show me his art. As I said before, he has an amazing collection and I was in awe of all the great stuff he has. I thought about hitting him with a tire iron and taking it, but Brett is a pretty big, strong looking guy and would rip me limb-from-limb if I didn’t put him down with one blow, so my survival instincts took over and I just complimented him on his art instead. We decided against Burger King and opted for M&S Grill as we were both hankering for a good sandwich. We had a cute waitress and the meal was good. I had crabcake sandwich and Brett had pulled BBQ. We yapped about books and art, I told him my Harley story, and asked if he was going to be at the con the next day. He said he was thinking about it, but he had a long drive back to his place that evening and we still had the Forum dinner. I invited him to stay at my place as it’s a lot closer. He accepted and offered to pick up my lunch tab (Sweet!).

We headed back and I stopped by the store to pick up some smokes and then went back to his car to pick up my stuff. Brett gave me his keys (a trusting individual) and I told him I’d meet back up with him at the show. I walked back to the Convention Center and stopped into the restroom (it’s important…bear with me!). After I had taken care of business, I was washing my hands and noticed, in the mirror, a long grey braided pony-tail 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif……

(To be continued – hey! I gotta get some work done today!!!!!! cool.gif)

After I had taken care of business, I was washing my hands and noticed, in the mirror, a long grey braided pony-tail 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif……

A cliffhanger ending! Nice! 893whatthe.gif

After I had taken care of business, I was washing my hands and noticed, in the mirror, a long grey braided pony-tail 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif……

Was it Mile High Chuck, or did Steve Borock forget the Grecian Formula?!? 893whatthe.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Was it Mile High Chuck, or did Steve Borock forget the Grecian Formula?!? 893whatthe.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Stay tuned.....but note, I already saw Steve and Steve doesn't braid his pony-tail!!!! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif EXACTLY my thoughts 27_laughing.gif

and stopped into the restroom (it’s important…bear with me!). After I had taken care of business, I was washing my hands and noticed, in the mirror, a long grey braided pony-tail 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif……

Was this mysterious man using the urinals or just p1ssing in a Pueblo pot ? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Did you get me anything? laugh.gif

Nope. Sorry Norrin. I saw minimal Goon related stuff. A few trades, some of the newer back issues. Nothing of note at all. frown.gif

Don't worry though, I haven't forgot.

C'est la vie. frown.gif

Just read all of my TPBs and issues. And just read DHP 157 that I bought last week from October(fire). hi.gif I'm gearing up for Goon month in Oktober.

Coming next month...

Goon #14 with the Origin of the Zombie Priest

Goon 25 cent issue

Goon Fancy Pants Edition

mrsdonut.jpg

So true! And besides being a great person, she is a big Elvis Costello fan headbang.gif

Dan, you should worship the ground she walks on!

not to take anything away from Dan's wife......but mine got matching Hulk and Batman tattoos.....that if that isn't love.....what is ? confused-smiley-013.gif