• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

So do sub-grades mean nothing on the secondary market?
3 3

33 posts in this topic

Ok. So for me I have had better success in gaining higher margins on subgrades as it lends to more transparency in what the actual grade vs percieved grade.

Although my highest margins have still been on raw or unopened boxes, sets , and packs. Due to these flippers and short term gains hot hype on to the next big thing whatever you want to call them.

[Honestly it spells doom for a lot of the industry.  ( but that is my opinion) ] 

Until the card section calms down I will not really broadcast a lot as those niche are what have served me well . 

Long term the sub grades will see increase and do better as once the other companies open back up you will see the profiteers crack and sub those to get single digit higher numbers for again short term gains. 

I would and will eventually share more as the cards become more of this community.  

Here are just a few of my past ebay sales . Most of the best offers I sold for about 60-80% of the ask and the few with subs definitely saw closer to 80%, but still hands down the best return was on sealed and raw. 

20210403_194705.jpg.e31de9fad536a34da9a49453f9be96b6.jpg20210403_194721.jpg.aaf20f5b3c9965d5b5e9a29a5b08481e.jpg20210403_194737.jpg.857e667731ebfaf02b80ae29c1c6b7ef.jpg20210403_194754.thumb.jpg.68e37582e84420723a7d918067898f13.jpg

I still personally prefer my other collections. Non sports, MTG , definitely Comics to these as most of these have seen steady increase vs this outright balloon / bubble . Also one of the reason I have been selling these now, when the rest I have been holding. 

Subgrades do make a difference and in the long run I believe most will pay off. Just maybe not , as others have mentioned on lower grade newer cards. 

4 hours ago, LuckyMouse said:

My rule of thumb as a collector thus far, if a cards value is over $100 I want subgrades. Under that, it's not an issue for me.

Next week I'm gonna share 250(or 500, haven't decided) cards I plan to have Sub Grades that I paid less than $3.50 each for and are 2021 cards :) 

Reason being I would rather get them graded valued at $3.50 each rather than well I doubt anyone would agree what they are gonna be worth in 25 years so I'll shhhhhhh about that part 

God, I'm gonna love the responses lol 

Edited by Toybot

12 hours ago, Toybot said:

Next week I'm gonna share 250(or 500, haven't decided) cards I plan to have Sub Grades that I paid less than $3.50 each for and are 2021 cards :) 

Reason being I would rather get them graded valued at $3.50 each rather than well I doubt anyone would agree what they are gonna be worth in 25 years so I'll shhhhhhh about that part 

God, I'm gonna love the responses lol 

A 2021 card valued around $3.50...hmmm...I'm gonna guess the GM Pikachu holo. Very cute card with the 25th anniversary stamp, and lots of possible 9-10 grades.

1 hour ago, LuckyMouse said:

A 2021 card valued around $3.50...hmmm...I'm gonna guess the GM Pikachu holo. Very cute card with the 25th anniversary stamp, and lots of possible 9-10 grades.

Close!

I also wouldn't really recommend those cards, at least in the hundreds lol . Namely, you got the decimal point wrong 1 spot, those cards are like $35.00 lol I don't have any or have any plans currently to. Maybe they can be something?

Personally, I think I caught a way bigger fish. Funny part? After spending my bait(funds), I find the same fish in bigger and for less bait :cry: 

O well, just gatta be happy with what I got, can't be too greedy afterall.

Edited by Toybot

2 hours ago, Toybot said:

Close!

I also wouldn't really recommend those cards, at least in the hundreds lol . Namely, you got the decimal point wrong 1 spot, those cards are like $35.00 lol I don't have any or have any plans currently to. Maybe they can be something?

Personally, I think I caught a way bigger fish. Funny part? After spending my bait(funds), I find the same fish in bigger and for less bait :cry: 

O well, just gatta be happy with what I got, can't be too greedy afterall.

I didn't get the decimal point wrong, lol. The cereal is still available at WM, for $3.67, and with one pikachu in every pack.   The Galarian Ponyta is the chase card from the set, I think.

4 minutes ago, LuckyMouse said:

I didn't get the decimal point wrong, lol. The cereal is still available at WM, for $3.67, and with one pikachu in every pack.   The Galarian Ponyta is the chase card from the set, I think.

Well I know what my kids gonna have for breakfast for the next... well we'll find out later today lol.

3 minutes ago, Toybot said:

Well I know what my kids gonna have for breakfast for the next... well we'll find out later today lol.

*My local Walmart anyways, I can't speak for anywhere else. I won't even show you how many boxes I have, and still missing one card. Uggh. But I got the Ponyta, so all is good. :)

3 minutes ago, Toybot said:

Damn, right as I left they just happen to ran out of every single one lol

20210404_160641.thumb.jpg.25acfd4b07e661e51ef0ea98990c2e0a.jpg

OMG! That's so funny! Just so you know tho, the actual Pokemon cereal doesn't have cards. Still a collectible box tho. Be happy you have kids, lol.

11 minutes ago, Toybot said:

Yeah I looked it up but pulled the trigger for the box itself. Debating on taking the cereal out or not lol

Not sure how to open the box without hurting it.

Luckily the cereal should be good for a year or so, so you have some time to figure it out. lol

3 hours ago, LuckyMouse said:

Luckily the cereal should be good for a year or so, so you have some time to figure it out. lol

Luckily there's a whole community dedicated to collecting cereal boxes and read up on what to do.

Apparently it's important to do something about the cereal itself due to bugs.

I can cut into the box from the bottom and remove the cereal and then I either have some kind of dedicated refrigerator just to keeping the cereal bags cool and thus no bugs or get rid of the cereal(likely donate or give away).

I am likely to get rid of the cereal since I don't really like things with this much sugar =/

7 hours ago, Toybot said:

Luckily there's a whole community dedicated to collecting cereal boxes and read up on what to do.

Apparently it's important to do something about the cereal itself due to bugs.

I can cut into the box from the bottom and remove the cereal and then I either have some kind of dedicated refrigerator just to keeping the cereal bags cool and thus no bugs or get rid of the cereal(likely donate or give away).

I am likely to get rid of the cereal since I don't really like things with this much sugar =/

I've donated some of mine to a family who does foster care, they were appreciative. I've also heard food banks will take opened boxes, as long as the cereal is sealed.

Edited by LuckyMouse