• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What size box is appropriate for sending 2 or 3 CGC boxes?
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I've been sending out single CGC books with USPS Medium Boxes.  Fits nicely.

I received 2 graded books from the Comic Mint and they stuffed 2 in the Medium Box.  They do this professionally so I'm assuming it's perfectly fine but I was a little taken aback to see the books literally pushing out of the  Medium Box.

I was thinking about starting to sell sets of 2 or 3 books.

What are the best choices?

Thanks!

I ship 2-3 slabs in a 1097 box fitted into a 1095 box.  I don't like to single-box any slabs, too risky.  The PO boxes are chipboard, not regulation, so you have to bulk up.  You can get packs of 10 or 25 of each size online at usps.com for free.

If the slabs are inexpensive, I use this process:  I put each slab in a padded envelope.  Then they go in the 1097 box, and if there are 3, that's full.  If only 2, I add some bubble wrap.  Then that goes into the 1095, and there is room all around for a layer of peanuts between the boxes.  So there is some "compression" area around the inner box, helping to keep the contents from getting hit.  You are covered for $100 automatically if you are using Commercial rates, so I feel I can go up to about $150 in contents value without taking too big of a chance.  If there is damage, it should be within the $100 claim max.  We're talking about cracked cases, maybe one of the comics got damaged.  Hard to damage all 3, but it is possible.  Even then, you might be able to salvage something.  If lost completely, I am on the hook for the final $50, if worth that much.  If worth $125 total for instance, I am only self-insuring the $25 overage.  The outer box could be a Medium Flat Rate if the distance to be traveled causes that to be cheaper than the 1095 (like coast to coast), but you lose almost all of the extra padding area.  At least it's still double boxed.  You have to balance safety with cost, and what is comfortable for you.

If the total is higher, I box differently.  I would put that 1097 in a regulation 32 ECT cardboard box, usually 16x12x6 with peanuts all around the 6 surfaces of the inner box.  That sturdier outer box helps it a bit more.  Then I might add insurance coverage, like if the total was $300.  And if you add coverage, the first free $100 no longer applies.:(  But I ship with PirateShip.com where the cost per $100 of insurance is just 80 cents.

Edited by Lightning55

1 hour ago, Lightning55 said:

I ship 2-3 slabs in a 1097 box fitted into a 1095 box.  I don't like to single-box any slabs, too risky.  The PO boxes are chipboard, not regulation, so you have to bulk up.  You can get packs of 10 or 25 of each size online at usps.com for free.

If the slabs are inexpensive, I use this process:  I put each slab in a padded envelope.  Then they go in the 1097 box, and if there are 3, that's full.  If only 2, I add some bubble wrap.  Then that goes into the 1095, and there is room all around for a layer of peanuts between the boxes.  So there is some "compression" area around the inner box, helping to keep the contents from getting hit.  You are covered for $100 automatically if you are using Commercial rates, so I feel I can go up to about $150 in contents value without taking too big of a chance.  If there is damage, it should be within the $100 claim max.  We're talking about cracked cases, maybe one of the comics got damaged.  Hard to damage all 3, but it is possible.  Even then, you might be able to salvage something.  If lost completely, I am on the hook for the final $50, if worth that much.  If worth $125 total for instance, I am only self-insuring the $25 overage.  The outer box could be a Medium Flat Rate if the distance to be traveled causes that to be cheaper than the 1095 (like coast to coast), but you lose almost all of the extra padding area.  At least it's still double boxed.  You have to balance safety with cost, and what is comfortable for you.

If the total is higher, I box differently.  I would put that 1097 in a regulation 32 ECT cardboard box, usually 16x12x6 with peanuts all around the 6 surfaces of the inner box.  That sturdier outer box helps it a bit more.  Then I might add insurance coverage, like if the total was $300.  And if you add coverage, the first free $100 no longer applies.:(  But I ship with PirateShip.com where the cost per $100 of insurance is just 80 cents.

I do almost exactly the same as you but I like the 1092 box as it is slightly bigger than the 1097.  Usually I only ship one slab order but sometimes I ship two so I use the same method.  So I bubble wrap the slabs with cardboard between them if around two of them.  The slightly longer length of the 1092 over the 1097 allows me to bubble the slab all around in that 1092 with a little extra.  Then before I slide the 1092 into the 1095, I throw in some of the peanuts I save from CLink orders... that is my bumper.  The 1092 goes in, throw in another layer of packing peanuts on the end of it and seal. 

If you are doing basically the same, then I have more confidence that things like this are the right way.

ON occasion I am shipping a few things and usually to be CPR'd.  In that case I like the deeper boxes that CLink usually provides when ordering 6 or more slabs.  I specifically save those for these types of occasions. 

30 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I do almost exactly the same as you but I like the 1092 box as it is slightly bigger than the 1097.  Usually I only ship one slab order but sometimes I ship two so I use the same method.  So I bubble wrap the slabs with cardboard between them if around two of them.  The slightly longer length of the 1092 over the 1097 allows me to bubble the slab all around in that 1092 with a little extra.  Then before I slide the 1092 into the 1095, I throw in some of the peanuts I save from CLink orders... that is my bumper.  The 1092 goes in, throw in another layer of packing peanuts on the end of it and seal. 

If you are doing basically the same, then I have more confidence that things like this are the right way.

ON occasion I am shipping a few things and usually to be CPR'd.  In that case I like the deeper boxes that CLink usually provides when ordering 6 or more slabs.  I specifically save those for these types of occasions. 

Glad we think alike, @Buzzetta.  I used to use the 1092 into the 1095, but I didn't like that the 1092 left no room, or little room, on the width dimension for padding.  So close to the same width as the 1095.  I went to the 1097 (once I found out they existed!) because I could get some padding between the box sides.

If you prefer more box protection vs. more peanut protection, you can put a 1097 into a 1092 into a 1095, triple boxing it.  But you add some weight, maybe more to ship.  Definitely stronger, though.

I have never received anything from CLink, so I don't know how those boxes work out, but sound good.  A "money-saving" alternative is that I use my eBay Shipping Supply coupon that I get with my store ($50 per quarter) to buy 16x12x8 boxes from ebayshippingsupplies.  I kick in a few bucks and order 50 for about $59 with tax, net $9 to me after the coupon.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/254763801703  I can leave them full height or cut them down to half size as needed. 

It's hard to find something to use that coupon for that you don't feel is a waste, and these are something I can actually use.  A lot of people use the coupon for envelopes or tape that are way overpriced, so not for me.  Like buying at the "company store", no competition, charge whatever they want.  You're also paying more due to the packaging having graphics printed on them, always more money for that, and it's not even your own company you're promoting - it's eBay.  They should be paying us to promote the platform, but instead they are charging us to do it.  Insane.  The boxes are at least competitively priced, and useful.

On 3/6/2021 at 10:08 PM, Buzzetta said:

Thanks!

On 3/6/2021 at 11:06 PM, Lightning55 said:

Glad we think alike, @Buzzetta.  I used to use the 1092 into the 1095, but I didn't like that the 1092 left no room, or little room, on the width dimension for padding.  So close to the same width as the 1095.  I went to the 1097 (once I found out they existed!) because I could get some padding between the box sides.

If you prefer more box protection vs. more peanut protection, you can put a 1097 into a 1092 into a 1095, triple boxing it.  But you add some weight, maybe more to ship.  Definitely stronger, though.

I have never received anything from CLink, so I don't know how those boxes work out, but sound good.  A "money-saving" alternative is that I use my eBay Shipping Supply coupon that I get with my store ($50 per quarter) to buy 16x12x8 boxes from ebayshippingsupplies.  I kick in a few bucks and order 50 for about $59 with tax, net $9 to me after the coupon.  https://www.ebay.com/itm/254763801703  I can leave them full height or cut them down to half size as needed. 

It's hard to find something to use that coupon for that you don't feel is a waste, and these are something I can actually use.  A lot of people use the coupon for envelopes or tape that are way overpriced, so not for me.  Like buying at the "company store", no competition, charge whatever they want.  You're also paying more due to the packaging having graphics printed on them, always more money for that, and it's not even your own company you're promoting - it's eBay.  They should be paying us to promote the platform, but instead they are charging us to do it.  Insane.  The boxes are at least competitively priced, and useful.

Thanks.