• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You are the champion of this obscure title, artist, issue, etc.

53 posts in this topic

By "champion", I mean that you love to admire and/or collect a certain title, artist, issue, story, etc., but it seems like no one else notices or cares. What is the thing that you admire but consider yourself close to alone in doing so?

Supersnipe....no one cares about this great early parody character.

Koppy McFad, the boy with the most comics in America.

So I buy them all. I don't think true collectors slab their copies and there are likely quite a few full collections socked away. I'm 2 issues away from complete including all appearance, but I'm always looking to upgrade for a deal. I've traded great books for supersnipe, and never quite know why in the morning.

There are some classic covers in the run to boot that are hard to come by.

Try finding a V1#8 in high grade. 1 census copy in VG+ and 1 qualified Fine. ( I have two copies with one in VF or better and one in fine or better)

Try finding a V1#9 in high grade, 1 census 9.4 (no more) (My copies is a fine at best). Metropolis had a copy in Good a few months back for $90 that I thought on for a day or two, and then it was "sale pending" when I checked back to buy it.

Send me your coverless, your incomplete and unwanted issues.

C'est la vie, supersnipe est tre's magnifique.

Oh yeah,

I also missed out on buying the entire mile high run from the first purchaser after chuck when they were listed in the cbg. This was pre-cgc and they were all listed at low guide multiples. The older collector who sold them was called supersnipe by his friends when he was a kid, and likely by collectors through his years in the hobby. Seemed like a real nice guy.

The seller had a buyer (that had called him a few days earlier....I live in AK so I got the paper late) who was purchasing a few issues at a time, and he was holding them for him. Notice now how almost all those issues have gone the way of CGC and are now out in the market place.

I'm sure I'll regret that "near miss" for my entire collecting days.

I'm not sure this qualifies for 'nobody cares,' but I think the Jerry Robinson GA Batman & Robin stories are head & shoulders above the contemporary stories. For some reason the Robinson-illustrated stories are clustered together in a few issues (must have been easier to schedule that way?) In particular, #31 and #37 are all-Robinson issues and to my way of thinking ought to command a premium.

I'm not sure this qualifies for 'nobody cares,' but I think the Jerry Robinson GA Batman & Robin stories are head & shoulders above the contemporary stories. For some reason the Robinson-illustrated stories are clustered together in a few issues (must have been easier to schedule that way?) In particular, #31 and #37 are all-Robinson issues and to my way of thinking ought to command a premium.

Hey Zonker, I find this quite interesting. Do you mean that there was no Bob Kane involvement with these 2 issues? Is the interior art anything like Robinson's beautiful run of Detective covers? I've always loved the cover to Batman #37....

Spirit (Quality Comics #1-22) 1944-50. Reprint the sections with fresh covers.

Here are a couple of mine:

1. Ajax/Farrell horror books: it seems like I'm the only one who thinks that the interior artwork on these books is exceptional. Yet these Iger studio artists remain unheralded, and in many cases, nameless. Am I the only one that thinks that the covers to Voodoo #8, and Haunted Thrills #5, #6 and #8 are amazing?

2. Women Outlaws: this Fox title has some really wild stories of non-fictional and fictional women in the old west. The first issue's women outlaws story (the other stories are not women-related) is particularly off-color.I bought low-grade copies of most of the issues and will probably seek out higher-grade replacements.

3. L.B. Cole's cover to Horrors of Mystery #13. I have no idea why this cover isn't highly sought after by Cole collectors.

Supersnipe....no one cares about this great early parody character.

Koppy McFad, the boy with the most comics in America.

So I buy them all. I don't think true collectors slab their copies and there are likely quite a few full collections socked away. I'm 2 issues away from complete including all appearance, but I'm always looking to upgrade for a deal. I've traded great books for supersnipe, and never quite know why in the morning.

There are some classic covers in the run to boot that are hard to come by.

Try finding a V1#8 in high grade. 1 census copy in VG+ and 1 qualified Fine. ( I have two copies with one in VF or better and one in fine or better)

Try finding a V1#9 in high grade, 1 census 9.4 (no more) (My copies is a fine at best). Metropolis had a copy in Good a few months back for $90 that I thought on for a day or two, and then it was "sale pending" when I checked back to buy it.

Send me your coverless, your incomplete and unwanted issues.

C'est la vie, supersnipe est tre's magnifique.

Supersnipe had a pretty decent run, didn't he. Do you know how popular he was back when hw was first issued. Whenever I ask older guys who read comics as a kid but never collected in later years, they always seem to mention Supersnipe and Captain Marvel, along with Superman and Batman.

1. Ajax/Farrell horror books: it seems like I'm the only one who thinks that the interior artwork on these books is exceptional. Yet these Iger studio artists remain unheralded, and in many cases, nameless. Am I the only one that thinks that the covers to Voodoo #8, and Haunted Thrills #5, #6 and #8 are amazing?

The Iger stuff has grown on me quite a bit through the years (even the Superior books). You are not alone, my friend. hi.gif

I'm not sure how popular the character was comparing to others. I'd be interested to hear from some of the old timers on the boards.

I think it really hit it's stride in the Late V#3 issues as they are plentiful. Volume 1, 2, 4 and 5 are a bit less common with V4 later issues and the key V1#8, V1#9, V2#1 much harder to come by. The Shadow books come up frequently, the doc savage has only come up twice in 4 years, and the others don't come up too often. Still Cheap though.

Street and Smith published the following books with supersnipe appearances.

It's a pretty impressive grouping with 52 appearances for an esoteric book.

Army Navy #5

Doc Savage V1#9

How to Draw for the Comics NN

Shadow V2#3, V2#4, V2#5 and V2#10

Supermagician V1#11

Supersnipe V1#6-12, V2 #1-12, V3#1-12, V4#1-12, V5#1

If anyone knows of other appearances, or even ads for the comics in other issues, please pm me with the info. I'm also always looking for upgrades. I'll trade books that are more "collectible"

I lost on purchasing a piece of signed original art that John Hagenauer bought (even flaunted it in the comic buyers guide frustrated.gif) I've got a great scan of it though, and much cheaper. At the time, I didn't want it as bad as he did, so I passed.

Thanks for your question.

Back in the mid-1980s when the Chicago Con was held on the 4th of July weekend there was a small time dealer who set up there every year who was a big Supersnipe fan. He was probably in his late 60s or 70s but I loved to talk with him about the old comics. He would show me some beat up copy of Supersnipe he had picked up at the show and would explain that he loved to buy them in that condition so he could read them with a peanut butter sandwich and a bottle of root beer on the porch like he did when he was a kid. That image never has left me. I've never actually read an issue of Supersnipe but whenever I see one I think of the cool old guy.

I'm not sure how popular the character was comparing to others. I'd be interested to hear from some of the old timers on the boards.

I think it really hit it's stride in the Late V#3 issues as they are plentiful. Volume 1, 2, 4 and 5 are a bit less common with V4 later issues and the key V1#8, V1#9, V2#1 much harder to come by. The Shadow books come up frequently, the doc savage has only come up twice in 4 years, and the others don't come up too often. Still Cheap though.

Street and Smith published the following books with supersnipe appearances.

It's a pretty impressive grouping with 52 appearances for an esoteric book.

Army Navy #5

Doc Savage V1#9

How to Draw for the Comics NN

Shadow V2#3, V2#4, V2#5 and V2#10

Supermagician V1#11

Supersnipe V1#6-12, V2 #1-12, V3#1-12, V4#1-12, V5#1

If anyone knows of other appearances, or even ads for the comics in other issues, please pm me with the info. I'm also always looking for upgrades. I'll trade books that are more "collectible"

I lost on purchasing a piece of signed original art that John Hagenauer bought (even flaunted it in the comic buyers guide frustrated.gif) I've got a great scan of it though, and much cheaper. At the time, I didn't want it as bad as he did, so I passed.

Thanks for your question.

Back in the mid-1980s when the Chicago Con was held on the 4th of July weekend there was a small time dealer who set up there every year who was a big Supersnipe fan. He was probably in his late 60s or 70s but I loved to talk with him about the old comics. He would show me some beat up copy of Supersnipe he had picked up at the show and would explain that he loved to buy them in that condition so he could read them with a peanut butter sandwich and a bottle of root beer on the porch like he did when he was a kid. That image never has left me. I've never actually read an issue of Supersnipe but whenever I see one I think of the cool old guy.

Neat post! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Doubt I'm the champion when it comes to L.B. Cole, but I do have all three of his sci-fi covers (Captain Aero 26, Captain Flight 11, Contact 12), all of his Catmans, both Masks, both Eagle Comics, most of his Captain Flight and Contact covers and most of his Star books, including, of course, Startling Terror 11.

Once I've gotten all the Suspense Comics he did, I may well be a contender......