• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are we too picky? (AKA, Conan 2011 was pretty good on a re-watch)

26 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Brian48 said:

I thought it was OK, but there was some really silly parts to it.  Would have liked it better if they 1) took out the origin story (absolutely unnecessary), 2) stop putting so much emphasis on a McGuffin (daddy's sword - Conan must have used a million different weapons in his lifetime - HE DIDN'T CARE.), 3) no sidekicks, 4) and no romance with a shallow princess/maiden that needed to rescued left and right.  

I'm not meaning to be argumentative, but when I watched it recently, there were these things:

1.  The origin story was arguably one of the best parts, and perhaps richer than just pushing against a wheel for 10 years.

2. IMHO, the sword was just a bonus.  I felt like Conan was just out for revenge for the death of his father.  I wasn't even sure if he kept the sword at the end of the movie...he acted like he wanted to leave it at his father's grave.

3. There were two side kicks...his pirate friend and the thief he rescued who helped him break into the bad guy's fortress.

4.  In the version I watched, there was a sex scene that I didn't want my kids walking in on...and true to form, her loved her and left her.  Classic Conan!  (Edit:  On second thought, sex isn't necessarily romance, but he did give her leather armor...that's like a bouquet of roses for him.

Edited by Westy Steve

22 hours ago, thunsicker said:

So is this thread only for sword and sorcery films we think are better on rewatch?  If not, I want to say WandaVision had me rewatching Age of Ultron the other day and it wasn't the crappy movie I remembered.  It actually held up pretty well.  This is in no way a defense of Joss Whedon.  That guy can still go to hell.  But the movie was much better than I remembered.

For a fun fantasy rewatch-I loved them both as a kid,I'll just throw out Krull and Sword and the Sorcerer.S&S changed my life,might have been too young at six,but changed my life lol 

Thank you unattended betamax and uncle that worked a video store in the early eighties.

17 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

Well at least some good came out my belly aching.  I'll have to rewatch that one myself.

It was good, not great but good. the demon at the end looked bad and he didn't even fight it but otherwise I liked it. It took me until the end until I realized the girl was from the live action Peter Pan (which is so good, I know this because I feel it in my bones!). Their was a lot going for the movie, had some very strong aspects.