• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Hulk 181
2 2

26 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, oldrover said:

What is that glurtch in the upper left corner? Is it a tear or dirt or a stain or what? Great looking book otherwise. :)

What he said...

What ever that is it does detract from the books looks, it was the first thing I noticed.

Just by the pic and not being able to really see the spine that well, IMO...

5.0 VERY GOOD/FINE (VG/FN):  Back to Top
An above-average but well used comic book. An accumulation of bindery/printing defects is allowed. Minor to moderate cover wear apparent, with minor to moderate creases and/or dimples. Inks have moderate to low reflectivity. Blunted corners are increasingly common, as is minor to moderate staining, discoloration, and/or foxing. Stamped or inked arrival dates may be present. A minor to moderate spine roll is allowed. A spine split of up to 1/2" may be present. Staples may show minor discoloration. Minor staple tears and minor stress lines may also be present, as well as minor rust migration. Paper is tan to brown with no signs of brittleness. Centerfold may be loose. Minor interior tears may also be present.

Just having an IH 181 in any grade is an accomplishment, enjoy your book!!!

4 minutes ago, marvelmaniac said:

What ever that is it does detract from the books looks, it was the first thing I noticed.

Just by the pic and not being able to really see the spine that well, IMO...

5.0 VERY GOOD/FINE (VG/FN): 

Depending on what it is, a clean and press could make a huge difference. If it's a tear, and water damage, then no. But dirt and a bent corner? Yes.

Assuming the latter... I'd go 7.0 after "treatment". :)

1 hour ago, joeypost said:

What does the inside fold of the spine look like? Any black bleed through?

Many red (orange in this case as the red is faded a bit) areas of the front and back cover are also color-touched. As do most amateurs, the hue is mismatched and can readily be seen. As the surface creases will not be as porous as the spine, less to no bleed through will have occurred. This looks like A_T_C_'s butchery. Same skill level, which is little to none. 

11 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

Many red (orange in this case as the red is faded a bit) areas of the front and back cover are also color-touched. As do most amateurs, the hue is mismatched and can readily be seen. As the surface creases will not be as porous as the spine, less to no bleed through will have occurred. This looks like A_T_C_'s butchery. Same skill level, which is little to none. 

forgive my ignorance but what is A_T_C?

Is the RHS of FC trimmed too?

As is I would give it 4.5

16 minutes ago, Albert Thurgood said:

All_things_comics. And speak of the devil, here's the listing for this 181:

Incredible Hulk #181 Vol 1 Beautiful Higher Grade 1st Wolverine w/ Marvel Stamp | eBay   

“Excellent looking book! This book has been restored. There is a small amount of color touch on the cover, slight glue on the spine, page 10 has been married and the book has been trimmed.In my opinion, this is a beautiful higher grade book! There is some light creasing on the cover.” 

That didn't take too long to find. The horribly amateur resto/destruction was very identifiable. Few that are actually trying to improve the look of a comic do a comi sucha disservice by adversely affecting them rather than "beautifying them". 

Edited by James J Johnson

21 minutes ago, Albert Thurgood said:

Right edge of the cover only, is also trimmed.

Look at the enlargement (only on an empty stomach).

: Incredible Hulk #181 Vol 1 Beautiful Higher Grade 1st Wolverine w/ Marvel Stamp | eBay 

This started out as a good, I'm sure. I'll find it. His source. Where he bought it.