• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America comics #1: to buy or not to buy
3 3

41 posts in this topic

I have the opportunity to buy a cap 1, missing 2 centerfolds.

presents decently well. 

I am wondering if I should hold out and wait for a restored copy (low to mid grade) or buy this unrestored 0.5. 

any thoughts, opinions, advice, or if someone has a lower grade restored copy for sale, I’m happy to hear. Appreciate it in advance 

Just now, pemart1966 said:

Neither - save your $ and get one that's 100% complete AND unrestored with nice PQ.

That would be ideal, but I like to get my foot in the door somehow. I can eventually upgrade But I think its better to atleast get a copy now. I truly dont mind restoration on caps, eventually I want my 1-10 to be unrestored. But that is for the future. 

It would depend on the apparent grade and of course, the price. To me, if it’s going to spend it’s life in a slab anyway, I want a nice presenting cover. Not like it will go cheap anyway. Maybe a decent restored copy will work better for you. 

I have seen more coverless/incomplete copies of Cap 1 and Bat 1 than probably any other big keys so it is a possibility as well...

3 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

It would depend on the apparent grade and of course, the price. To me, if it’s going to spend it’s life in a slab anyway, I want a nice presenting cover. Not like it will go cheap anyway. Maybe a decent restored copy will work better for you. 

I have seen more coverless/incomplete copies of Cap 1 and Bat 1 than probably any other big keys so it is a possibility as well...

thats definitely something to think about. THe copy IM looking at is about 38k and has slightly brittle pages. I really want a copy but I also want to make sure I get the right copy. Im starting to think I need to hold out for one. 

Since you're soliciting opinions:

I'm not a restored book guy. However, for a pricey mega key like this sometimes some of us have to 'settle' for low grade or restored for the opportunity to ever own one. 

I would take restored over incomplete. 

Extent of restoration would be a factor as well. I could live with slight to moderate (amatuer or professional) color touch and or glue.

Pieces added or replaced staples not so much. Would also take tan to cream pages.

Either way, good luck!

On a key like a Cap 1, slightly brittle would not be a deal breaker.  I know there are degrees of slightly brittle so is it mostly around the edges?  But ultimately the price would be the key and the overall cover image.  At this stage, I would go for it if the cover image is ideal and the slightly brittle is limited to closer to the edges.  Or I would look for a restored lower grade but not sure what 38K can realistically buy anymore in a complete restored copy.  

23 minutes ago, sagii said:

Pieces added or replaced staples not so much. Would also take tan to cream pages.

Either way, good luck!

Not sure why anyone cares about staple replacement (with period appropriate staples).  It is a classic form of conservation and ultimately, I think, will not impact book value at all.  

Tan pages, on the other hand, would be worrying to me as the book might be on the short road to becoming brittle.  

Pieces added is not conservation, but restoration, and everyone's going to have their own opinions.  If, as here, the OP is trying to get a piece of your family history, some level of piece additions shouldn't bother him at all. It's a less expensive way of getting a book he desires because his grandfather created the character.  I say go for a nice looking restored copy you can really feel proud to show friends and family over a crappy looking unrestored copy that will appeal only to the geekiest of comic collectors.

2 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Not sure why anyone cares about staple replacement (with period appropriate staples).  It is a classic form of conservation and ultimately, I think, will not impact book value at all.  

Tan pages, on the other hand, would be worrying to me as the book might be on the short road to becoming brittle.  

Pieces added is not conservation, but restoration, and everyone's going to have their own opinions.  If, as here, the OP is trying to get a piece of your family history, some level of piece additions shouldn't bother him at all. It's a less expensive way of getting a book he desires because his grandfather created the character.  I say go for a nice looking restored copy you can really feel proud to show friends and family over a crappy looking unrestored copy that will appeal only to the geekiest of comic collectors.

I wouldn't know period appropriate staples in the 'authentic sense', so that would eat at me. I'd be taking someones word for it.

I know many here who would take SB pages because they feel if it's slabbed it's ok to preserve it longer, or they don't agree with a graders assessment of brittle. That's why 'tan' is ok in my book. 

But as you said, everyone has their own opinions. 

this is all really great discussion. Its CGC glabbed right now and If I got it, I would crack it. I would want to read it and everything. Becuase its graded, I dont know how brittle the pages truly are or if they have since gotten worse. Staples replaced dosent really bother me but I rather pieces added than staples replaced. I hate trimmed and wouldnt want to go there but if the price is good enough, then sign me up. I just want to get this book as it symbolizes my grandfather. This copy has a spine roll, but that can easilt be fixed. It also has some tape but I would probably have a buddy of mine remove it. Just decisions, decisions. I want someone to sell me a cap 1 1.0 slightly restored. That would be ideal but I need to work with what I currently have. the other option is to just be patient and wait for one day, problem then becomes if that day comes, maybe the book has continued to soar in value and I wouldve been better off waiting. 

1 hour ago, sagii said:

I wouldn't know period appropriate staples in the 'authentic sense', so that would eat at me. I'd be taking someones word for it.

They are readily available.  Staples were a fungible product back then, and lots of stapled products and even unused staples are available to conservationists.  So its not a hard leap of faith to make.

If you go with the one that's missing the 2 centrefolds you have to ask yourself what the chances are that you'll find them - probably slim to none and even if you do, you'll pay a pretty penny for them because they'll most likely be attached to the majority of the book not to mention competing with other collectors that are in your exact position.

Stay away from tan and brittle pages - don't go there - save yourself headaches.  If you crack a book with that PQ it could literally crumble before your eyes.

Do not be rushed or panicked into buying.  These are not the only two known copies.  I get why you want the book NOW but the worst thing you can do is impulse buy - especially with this kind of $ involved.

The right copy will come up and you'll be glad that you waited.

Did your grandfather keep any copies of Captain America #1...or the other 9 for that matter?

Edited by pemart1966

1 hour ago, Simon Comics said:

this is all really great discussion. Its CGC glabbed right now and If I got it, I would crack it. I would want to read it and everything. Becuase its graded, I dont know how brittle the pages truly are or if they have since gotten worse. Staples replaced dosent really bother me but I rather pieces added than staples replaced. I hate trimmed and wouldnt want to go there but if the price is good enough, then sign me up. I just want to get this book as it symbolizes my grandfather. This copy has a spine roll, but that can easilt be fixed. It also has some tape but I would probably have a buddy of mine remove it. Just decisions, decisions. I want someone to sell me a cap 1 1.0 slightly restored. That would be ideal but I need to work with what I currently have. the other option is to just be patient and wait for one day, problem then becomes if that day comes, maybe the book has continued to soar in value and I wouldve been better off waiting. 

I think you could probably get a nice coverless copy for $10K to $20K and a partial cover is for sale right now for $15K.  You could marry the two and add the piece and have a really nice presenting copy to show off.  That would be a great way to get the family history.

Edited by sfcityduck