• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Comico Primer 2

15 posts in this topic

I just hit the BIN on a 9.2 copy of this and I have a few questions. What was the print run for this issue? Does anyone know how many copies Koch has and how good they are? Are there legit 9.0s and up from that find? What percent of guide does this issue usually sell for in varying grades? I paid significantly less that 50% guide on the BIN, is that common?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...me=STRK:MEWN:IT

I've heard the print-run was around 25,000.I tend to think it was a little higher.

Koch ,at one point had several boxes of them,300 to a box.Almost every copy I have seen at conventions from his hoarde is VF,at best.At Wizard World,Forbidden Planet was selling VF or so copies for $20. I found two 9.0 types in about fifteen minutes of going thru the lot of them

I believe Joe obtained them direct from the publisher when Comico folded,so there were plenty of 9.0s. However,after sitting on shelves in his warehouse and having been cherry-picked by many dealers for 15+ years,who knows how many VF/NM copies remain.

As of a few years ago, Koch still had hundreds of copies of this book according to a couple of collectors that I know. I also think there are a significant number of high grade specimens as I recall he was eBaying a number of slabbed copies about 4 years ago. The Census would also bear this out - four 9.8s, twenty-nine 9.6s, forty-seven 9.4s, thirty-three 9.2s and twenty-one 9.0s - I bet a lot of those came from the copies Koch bought from Comico when they went out of business.

As for the red versus blue label, there is a perception that the old red-labeled books were graded harsher, but that is far from universally true. CGC graded very loosely in the beginning but then tightened up to ridiculous strictness before loosening up again (though not to the laxness of the initial period). So, depending on when it was graded, a Red label book could be more, less or about the same level of strictness. I've seen a lot of undergraded specimens with the Red label, but I've also seen some horrifically overgraded ones, including a 9.4-graded copy of a Bronze X-Men issue that I used to own with over a dozen color-breaking stress lines. 893whatthe.gif

While there seems to be a perception of Red labels being undergraded,I have not seen any evidence of it myself.

Just to clarify a point I made,I believe JK HAD a number of HG copies but,for the most part,they are long since sold.I don't believe

Koch has many true HG copies left. However,there seems to be a dealer in Maryland that does.

I've bought a few things from Koch over the last year, but I didn't get my Primer 2 from him. He had so many of them, none graded, that I just assumed they were leftovers from a warehouse find and avoided them.

Half guide for a decent copy is a good deal though. thumbsup2.gif

I bought a bunch of copies from a couple of Russian guys at a local show for like $10 each. I flipped them on ebay for a nice profit, but it's not even a remotely rare book. Certainly not a book I'd want to buy a 9.8 of as an investment.