• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why do comics missing pages get high grades?
1 1

47 posts in this topic

18 hours ago, Call The Cops said:

You're arguing against your own point. You are correct that the book is not a 9.6 and CGC agrees. It would be a 9.6 if not detached at the top staple. This is an example of where the Qualified label works just fine.

I personally would like them to put both grades on the label, but that's too much work for CGC and would be too confusing for the Newbs who don't read labels. 

The Qualified label doesn't work. If the top staple is detached, there is no way in Hel it's a 9.6. So, no, it does not refute my own opinion.

14 hours ago, Lightning55 said:

Let's face it - it's an awkward thing.  Nice book, some significant funky problem, what do you do with it?

Maybe they're ALL qualified.  As in "this 4.0 would be a 9.6 if it didn't have that 6" diagonal crease".  In this 4.0/9.6 scenario, there is no text on the label that "excuses" the crease and calls it a 9.6 green qualified.  It's grade is adjusted for the defect. 

So why not the detached top staple being the same as a half inch tear anywhere else on the cover?  It's wear, just like any other cover or page tear, just like the 6" inch diagonal crease.  But one book is blue, the other green.

Certainly a page missing entirely is incomplete, but if we're lucky enough that it's an ad page, that's ok (???)

If you didn't have Qualified grades, when the page counter sees the missing value stamp, it's game over.  The comic is a 0.5 incomplete, slap a label on it, don't even bother to look at the rest of it - it's irrelevant.  Easy money - $20+ to check the pages.  I guess you could make a lot of grader notes to justify the fee, but nah.

Maybe there needs to be a specific grade drop, as a %, for different significant "problems".  It can't be a numeric value drop, like take 6.0 off of the apparent grade for a missing value stamp, because you might be deducting it from a 5.0 book.  Can't have negative grades - or can we?  hmmm

When submitting, I think we should be able to choose which method appeals to us more, higher green or lower blue.  We are the ones paying for the grade, and both are correct if properly executed.  It's your book.  If someone doesn't like it, wishes it was different, they can pony up the money to redo it.  More money for CGC.  The same book could get graded over and over - blue, green, blue, green, etc.  It's a windfall.  Just like a car gets taxed every time it's sold.  Our gross national product could double just due to re-grading.

Looney Tunes No GIF by swerk - Find & Share on GIPHY

1 minute ago, Call The Cops said:

You just proved it works. CGC and I agree with you, that book is not a 9.6. But it sure looks like it. Now how could CGC communicate that this 9.6 looking book is not actually a 9.6? hm

CGC put 9.6 on the sticker, so the Qualified label does not work.