• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

From Me to Independent Press to CGC to Me

12 posts in this topic

Okay this is a slightly confusing one, but I'd love to hear from someone with a similar experience if they can share, I'll also contact CGC about it through email.

Basically, I found an independent presser with great turnaround and experience, with pretty good pricing. The price to ship them to him, back to me, back to CGC is up there so I'm trying to find a way for the books to go to him, then to CGC, then finally back to me. I want to do this under my CGC account as I have a credit from when I registered. To make it more complicated, I'm from Canada so I have no clue if this messes up customs at all. 

How I imagine this would work best would be to fill out my CGC order online prior to shipping them to him, include my invoice with my package, have him press them and add the invoice to the package for him to ship off to CGC. I know I'm asking a lot of this poor presser lmao, but he's a great guy whos eager to work something out. 

If anyone has done something similar to this let me know! Love any advice. 

12 hours ago, Devin Colman said:

Okay this is a slightly confusing one, but I'd love to hear from someone with a similar experience if they can share, I'll also contact CGC about it through email.

Basically, I found an independent presser with great turnaround and experience, with pretty good pricing. The price to ship them to him, back to me, back to CGC is up there so I'm trying to find a way for the books to go to him, then to CGC, then finally back to me. I want to do this under my CGC account as I have a credit from when I registered. To make it more complicated, I'm from Canada so I have no clue if this messes up customs at all. 

How I imagine this would work best would be to fill out my CGC order online prior to shipping them to him, include my invoice with my package, have him press them and add the invoice to the package for him to ship off to CGC. I know I'm asking a lot of this poor presser lmao, but he's a great guy whos eager to work something out. 

If anyone has done something similar to this let me know! Love any advice. 

That sounds correct.

@joeypost, can you comment?

So I gave CGC a call and just for any future readers who may be in the same situation, this is very doable. I have learned a few things so I'll share with the class:

1. CGC is great over their toll free number, I've emailed them a couple times but the phone was way better.

2. You can submit through an independent presser 2 ways:

i) Under you account. You submit an invoice and a return address slip and include that with your package to your presser and make sure they keep track of those papers for when they submit it to CGC on your behalf. The package will arrive at CGC as your order.

ii) Under their account. If the presser has a CGC account, you can simply send them your comics and they will take care of the rest, but you won't be able to track the progress of your books personally as it is their account. Your presser will simply put your return address on the order.

Both these situations are a tad complicated but more than often independent pressers do a better job than CCS (so I've heard). It also involves some trust on your pressers end so maybe don't go through Jimmy in his mom's basement who's pressed a comic once with an iron and towel? 

Again I'm not a pro, more questions ask CGC, CCS or your presser! Just sharing what I've learned!

On 3/15/2021 at 5:53 PM, Devin Colman said:

Actually, this is exactly what I am going to do the next time I send books in. In fact, my presser suggested it. The main benefit from this is the books will be submitted under your account, so you can watch the progress (or lack thereof) of your books while they are at CGC.

Edited by Math Teacher

On 3/16/2021 at 7:47 AM, Angel of Death said:

That sounds correct.

@joeypost, can you comment?

To speed up the process for any pressing service, it is always best to have the paperwork ready to go.

When submitting through the dealer account of a pressing company you sacrifice convenience for saving some money. You cannot track the books, you don't have access to the notes (most guys will not do a copy/paste for 50 books) a few books, yes. If the presser has to fill out the paperwork it can add significant delays.

As long as you expect these things going in you will be OK. Be aware of the trade offs when submitting under someone else's account because (technically) they own those books while at CGC, you cannot call to get info on that invoice. 

On 3/16/2021 at 5:46 PM, Math Teacher said:

Actually, this is exactly what I am going to do the next time I send books in. In fact, my presser suggested it. The main benefit from this is the books will be submitted under your account, so you can watch the progress (or lack thereof) of your books while they are at CGC.

And the main negative is that if you have books in different tiers, then you are going to be spending a heck of a lot on shipping back to Canada.

Also, unless you have 25 books within the same tier, you can't get prescreens. If you have 10 moderns you'd like prescreened at 9.8, the presser can pool those with others so that you get your books prescreened and avoid getting back worthless slabbed books, which happens constantly. 

Plus a presser could give you dealer rates on submissions.

Those are all reasons I chose to have it handled by the presser. And if the presser is reading, sorry for the hassle.

Edited by William-James88

9 hours ago, William-James88 said:

And the main negative is that if you have books in different tiers, then you are going to be spending a heck of a lot on shipping back to Canada.

Since I don't live in Canada, I didn't factor this into my decision.

10 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Also, unless you have 25 books within the same tier, you can't get prescreens. If you have 10 moderns you'd like prescreened at 9.8, the presser can pool those with others so that you get your books prescreened and avoid getting back worthless slabbed books, which happens constantly. 

That's a really cool point I had not considered! Granted I'm not shooting for 9.8s, but still a cool idea to keep in mind.

And yeah the Canadian part is why I want a press prior to getting to CGC because if I go through CCS, I'm spending $150 on shipping for two 5 book return orders, this way its $90 for one 10 book order.

10 hours ago, Devin Colman said:

That's a really cool point I had not considered! Granted I'm not shooting for 9.8s, but still a cool idea to keep in mind.

And yeah the Canadian part is why I want a press prior to getting to CGC because if I go through CCS, I'm spending $150 on shipping for two 5 book return orders, this way its $90 for one 10 book order.

Those 10 book are within the same tier though, right?

25 minutes ago, William-James88 said:

I wouldn't expect you too, but since the person asking was specifically referring to Canada, I wanted to add to your point since it becomes a far bigger factor.

Understood. When I send books, I try to ship only books that would be in the same tier. I'm with you - I don't want to pay shipping fees for four different tiers of books. At most, I may send books in two different tiers. But I try to send 3 - 4 books at a time in each tier.