• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RARE DETECTIVE COMICS #33 up for sale

125 posts in this topic

Maybe old news but I saw this on ebay. Seems like a lot of money.

Detective 33 on ebay

To the best of my knowledge, this was a PGX 4.0 not all that long ago.

But with the prices we've seen for #35 for instance, a 3.0 copy of a much more valuable issue with White pages doesn't seem all that unreasonable to me with a best offer option.

I'm surprised that book is still there (another WHITE PAGE copy?? :o ) hm

And also sad I don't have 11K to nab it. :(

Didn't you hear Alex, Tec #33 is out of vogue?

How else would someone like me manage to acquire one?

Either that or I know some pretty cool board members. hm

What shocks me is that if this were a 3.0 Tec #35 with white pages, it would have been sold for 12K yesterday. :o

I hope so, so I can nab a nice copy soon. :devil:

The scary thing is you may be right, but I wonder is Tec 35 just a trend? Will it permanetely take over the Origin of Batman. (My money wonders, my mind says I hope not hm )

Maybe old news but I saw this on ebay. Seems like a lot of money.

Detective 33 on ebay

To the best of my knowledge, this was a PGX 4.0 not all that long ago.

But with the prices we've seen for #35 for instance, a 3.0 copy of a much more valuable issue with White pages doesn't seem all that unreasonable to me with a best offer option.

I'm surprised that book is still there (another WHITE PAGE copy?? :o ) hm

And also sad I don't have 11K to nab it. :(

I think the multiple pieces of tape is the only reason this book hasn't sold yet. Paying $10K+ for a book whose centerfold is probably held together because of tons of tape is a big turn off. Might as well buy a restored copy at a 40% discount.

Good point. That's probably the reason it hasn't as a collector as you said could nab one a lot cheaper.

But for my money (and if I currently had 12K to spend on 1 comic) I'd take a Blue (even with tape) over a PLOD at significantly less. But that's just me.

So you are saying I should make a reasonable offer or wait for the 5.0 on Heritage to auction?

a pretty nice 4.5 tec 33 just sold on heritage a month+ ago at 11,900 (give or take, too lazy to look up, so going from memory)...

a 3.0 is probably a 9-10K book real world (I think mark paid about 9K for it not too long ago)... the 5.0 will probably push $15K, though some folks would have you pay 20K :o for a shot at a 5.0 copy :baiting:

Ask yourself this...how much would a 3.0 Tec #35 with white pages sell for?

12K...more?

a fellow boardie has a really nice 2.5 ow/w with a 12,500 asking price...I owned that copy for years, it is a great example of a tec 35, and presents so much nicer than a 2.5... so, if you find a 3.0 that presents "better" than the technical grade, I think you would find someone to pay 12K for it (thumbs u

Tec #35 has exploded and while I would never say it's any "flavor of the month" because it's a GREAT book...I don't think there is any question that Tec #33 is the better book (even with my blatant bias aside).

tec 35 had its "explosion" in 2005 when it went from a 3x guide book to a 5x guide book...since then, it has remained a relatively constant 5x guide (mainly because we were able to get the guide value raised a bit)...

tec 33 has had its "declination" (is that a word lol ) for 10+ years now... why, as primetime mentioned, we are in the CGC era of comic collecting, where "cool" covers outweigh "cool" content...

is tec 33 a better overall issue?...I certainly think so!

is tec 33 in more demand than 29 or 31 or 35 ...unfortunately the answer is "no" and that will not change any time soon (imo)

There's a reason it guides for more than 29, 31, or 35.

the reason is that pre cgc, it was considered by overstreet to be a superior value issue, due to the origin.... however, over the past 10 years, tec 33 "real" value has lagged behind its other 3 counterparts, and eventually (as we submit more and more sales info, year after year to overstreet) it will lag behind in the guide too... just a reality of the market

IMO, it's a better cover than #35 but even if you put personal preferences aside in regards to covers (because everyone will always have their favorites), there is NO cover alone that could overtake the significance of Batman's origin.

It's the most important GA story ever told; even if the story after the 2-page origin isn't one of the best of the Pre-Robin Tec run.

the problem is that most collectors today, don't really care about the 2 page origin story, they think the "cover is cool"... why does tec 29, 31 and 35 get all the hype over, say 30,32, 34 (which all have as good if not better stories)?..the answer is obvious (thumbs u

I believe that Tec #35 is more scarce but even so, Tec #33 is one of the greatest books of all-time. To see a 3.0 with WHITE pages offered for less than what a Tec #35 would likely command is just crazy.
it is not crazy, it is a function of market supply/demand ;)

Since Tec #33 has fallen out of fashion at the moment (I feel that will change in time), it might still be possible to win the 5.0; but it still seems like there's a deal to be had here with the 3.0.

see my comment above...but tec 33 will likely not "reclaim" its status (value wise) over 29, 31, or 35, but that doesn't diminish the fact it is a great issue and will always be sought after by collectors, just at a price point the market determines ... if the 3.0 was a "deal", you can bet some savy collector would have snagged it already (it has been available, as cheap as 10,995 on clink, for a while now!)... it is about 20% overpriced, relative to the market (again, as dictated by the lack of "demand" at that price)

whew...

BIGTec33CGC4.jpg

Pretty book Ben.

And can someone enlighten me as to why on a handful of Tec 33's there is an erasure (?) mark on his "man-hood" area. hm

I've noticed that too.

I almost wonder if it's an indication of a first or second print of the issue?

I know people have talked about the dotted and dot-less versions of Batman #1; perhaps this might be a similar issue?

BIGTec33CGC4.jpg

Pretty book Ben.

And can someone enlighten me as to why on a handful of Tec 33's there is an erasure (?) mark on his "man-hood" area. hm

I've noticed that too.

I know people have talked about the dotted and dot-less versions of Batman #1; perhaps this might be a similar issue?

1939 printing technology is the likely answer...probably something on the plate that recessed (or whatever) and as ink went thin, so did the color on the cover (in certain areas, since it is kind of "consistent" )

But I'll hazard to guess that Movie Comics #1 isn't 5-6X rarer than Movie Comics #2; but rather...there is that "extra motivation" to slab the #1 which as I alluded to earlier...would skew the sample that the CGC census provides us.

The whole run is very rare(or at least was perceived as such before the internet made more copies available). The first issue has a SON OF FRANKENSTEIN adaptation that makes the book desirable; the last has a feature based on THE PHANTOM CREEPS with Bela Lugosi, and has a Lugosi robot cover. If the first issue had used SON OF FRANKENSTEIN as the cover feature, it would probably be in much more demand. GUNGA DIN is on the cover, and while that is a great movie, the image they chose was kinda boring for a comic book cover.

So you are saying I should make a reasonable offer or wait for the 5.0 on Heritage to auction?

a pretty nice 4.5 tec 33 just sold on heritage a month+ ago at 11,900 (give or take, too lazy to look up, so going from memory)...

a 3.0 is probably a 9-10K book real world (I think mark paid about 9K for it not too long ago)... the 5.0 will probably push $15K, though some folks would have you pay 20K :o for a shot at a 5.0 copy :baiting:

The 5.0 on heritage is a nice copy, I think $15K is about right, but it's interesting to see what happens when the book is auctioned as opposed to private sales

Pretty book Ben.

I've noticed that too.

1939 printing technology is the likely answer...probably something on the plate that recessed (or whatever) and as ink went thin, so did the color on the cover (in certain areas, since it is kind of "consistent" )

Much like the squiggle that is present on many Tec #31 covers.

(thumbs u

yes they would :P

12K...more?

a fellow boardie has a really nice 2.5 ow/w with a 12,500 asking price...I owned that copy for years, it is a great example of a tec 35, and presents so much nicer than a 2.5... so, if you find a 3.0 that presents "better" than the technical grade, I think you would find someone to pay 12K for it (thumbs u

Tec #35 has exploded and while I would never say it's any "flavor of the month" because it's a GREAT book...I don't think there is any question that Tec #33 is the better book (even with my blatant bias aside).

tec 35 had its "explosion" in 2005 when it went from a 3x guide book to a 5x guide book...since then, it has remained a relatively constant 5x guide (mainly because we were able to get the guide value raised a bit)...

tec 33 has had its "declination" (is that a word lol ) for 10+ years now... why, as primetime mentioned, we are in the CGC era of comic collecting, where "cool" covers outweigh "cool" content...

is tec 33 in more demand than 29 or 31 or 35 ...unfortunately the answer is "no" and that will not change any time soon (imo)

the reason is that pre cgc, it was considered by overstreet to be a superior value issue, due to the origin.... however, over the past 10 years, tec 33 "real" value has lagged behind its other 3 counterparts, and eventually (as we submit more and more sales info, year after year to overstreet) it will lag behind in the guide too... just a reality of the market

IMO, it's a better cover than #35 but even if you put personal preferences aside in regards to covers (because everyone will always have their favorites), there is NO cover alone that could overtake the significance of Batman's origin.

It's the most important GA story ever told; even if the story after the 2-page origin isn't one of the best of the Pre-Robin Tec run.

the problem is that most collectors today, don't really care about the 2 page origin story, they think the "cover is cool"... why does tec 29, 31 and 35 get all the hype over, say 30,32, 34 (which all have as good if not better stories)?..the answer is obvious (thumbs u

I believe that Tec #35 is more scarce but even so, Tec #33 is one of the greatest books of all-time. To see a 3.0 with WHITE pages offered for less than what a Tec #35 would likely command is just crazy.

Since Tec #33 has fallen out of fashion at the moment (I feel that will change in time), it might still be possible to win the 5.0; but it still seems like there's a deal to be had here with the 3.0.

see my comment above...but tec 33 will likely not "reclaim" its status (value wise) over 29, 31, or 35, but that doesn't diminish the fact it is a great issue and will always be sought after by collectors, just at a price point the market determines ... if the 3.0 was a "deal", you can bet some savy collector would have snagged it already (it has been available, as cheap as 10,995 on clink, for a while now!)... it is about 20% overpriced, relative to the market (again, as dictated by the lack of "demand" at that price)

whew...

imagine if the 2 page Bat Origin was printing in Tec 29 or 31...what price reflection would have been observed the past 40 years? :o

Tec #35 has exploded and while I would never say it's any "flavor of the month" because it's a GREAT book...I don't think there is any question that Tec #33 is the better book (even with my blatant bias aside). There's a reason it guides for more than 29, 31, or 35.

guide value and FMV are two different beasts....for years, 33 has climbed in guide past the other Pre Robins because of the Origin story (great!)...I think today's market with CGC has pushed "cover only" collectors to some degree and the 29 and 31 win out on that one...33 is cool though---full wing span and the gun holster are pretty sick--that cover would have been better with rolling fog and a full moon (ie 29, 31) (thumbs u

No question, the guide does not always reflect the actual market (and of course we know there are great debates about that).

As Rick had mentioned, CGC has revolutionized the market in more ways than one. Over the past ten years, there has been a greater emphasis placed upon "classic covers" than perhaps ever before. Slab collectors who like to collect and enjoy their books in the slab have only one thing to look at and they're willing to pay top-dollar to make sure that one thing is amazing. (thumbs u

It is my opinion that contrary to popular opinion, Tec #33 still has the superior cover; but that's just personal opinion again isn't it? lol And in this market, the opinions of the many out-weigh the opinions of the few.

I think that the yellow background of Tec #33 turns some collectors off in the sense that it isn't as gothic and eerie as Tec #29, 31, & 35. I've always loved Tec #33's cover because of its similar color scheme to Tec #27 and I appreciate the contrast between the "light" of the background and the "dark" of Batman.

Tec #35 has exploded and while I would never say it's any "flavor of the month" because it's a GREAT book...I don't think there is any question that Tec #33 is the better book (even with my blatant bias aside). There's a reason it guides for more than 29, 31, or 35.

guide value and FMV are two different beasts....for years, 33 has climbed in guide past the other Pre Robins because of the Origin story (great!)...I think today's market with CGC has pushed "cover only" collectors to some degree and the 29 and 31 win out on that one...33 is cool though---full wing span and the gun holster are pretty sick--that cover would have been better with rolling fog and a full moon (ie 29, 31) (thumbs u

No question, the guide does not always reflect the actual market (and of course we know there are great debates about that).

As Rick had mentioned, CGC has revolutionized the market in more ways than one. Over the past ten years, there has been a greater emphasis placed upon "classic covers" than perhaps ever before. Slab collectors who like to collect and enjoy their books in the slab have only one thing to look at and they're willing to pay top-dollar to make sure that one thing is amazing. (thumbs u

It is my opinion that contrary to popular opinion, Tec #33 still has the superior cover; but that's just personal opinion again isn't it? lol And in this market, the opinions of the many out-weigh the opinions of the few.

I think that the yellow background of Tec #33 turns some collectors off in the sense that it isn't as gothic and eerie as Tec #29, 31, & 35. I've always loved Tec #33's cover because of its similar color scheme to Tec #27 and I appreciate the contrast between the "light" of the background and the "dark" of Batman.

I love the cover to tec 33... I also love tec 54 (very similar cover to the 33)...

it is the detail in the 29 and 31 that make those superior, and it is the color of the 35 that I find appealing (that "green")...but, I agree tec 33 is a great cover!

12K...more?

whew...

I agree with you that Tec #33 is the better overall issue; but I'm sure that much was implicit before I ever shared my opinions on the subject. lol

The ironic thing is that I began to get seriously into collecting during the "CGC-era" and even despite the fact that I actually prefer to enjoy my books slabbed...I seem to value the inner-content more than most slab collectors would.

I own a slabbed Tec #33 and despite the fact that I'll never actually "read" the origin pages from my copy...it's probably my favorite part about owning the book. I've said many times before (and I'm sorry for sounding like a broken record) that the 2-page origin in Tec #33 is the most important GA story ever told.

The only one that I think could rival it would be Superman's origin but the one told in Action #1 and even the expanded origin told in Superman #1 didn't capture the same emotion that was displayed in Batman's Tec #33 origin.

Now I know that you know the market far better than I do but I feel that someday, the content of the books will begin to see an increase in appreciation. It would be one thing if Batman's origin from Tec #33 was paired with the cover of lets say, Tec #32...but the fact that it's also paired with the classic Batman cover of Tec #33 puts the book into a different realm than Tec #35.

I realize that what matters is how much the collectors in the market want to invest into both respective issues but I do feel that in time...there will be a shift in which Tec #33 picks up a little bit of steam. Tec #29 and 31 might be a bit harder to move past; but I see no reason why, at some point at least, Tec #33 can't move past #35 again.

gotta collect what your LIKE first and foremost! Esp, with these crazy prices these days. :insane:

but I see no reason why, at some point at least, Tec #33 can't move past #35 again.
the reason, young padawan is simple...supply and demand...

even if there is more demand for tec 33 than tec 35 (which I am not sure there is, but for argument's sake, let's assume there is), there is seemingly FAR more supply of it (note, I didn't say far more existing issues, just market supply at any given time) ...that simple economic reality will likely keep tec 33 from ever passing 35 by again, and in fact, I think the distance between the 2 will continue to widen (as it has for the past 5-7 years) as folks still struggle to add 35's to their collections... of course I could be wrong :)