• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RARE DETECTIVE COMICS #33 up for sale

125 posts in this topic

"The Mile Highs Church bought secondhand can be identified by two slash marks in the upper left-hand corner, usually followed by a discount price of six to nine cents. The Detective #27 was bought second hand, and is understandably not the highest grade copy in existence. "

Quote from Matt Nelson's site

If the 8.0 is restored, I dont think it belongs on the list as I wrote before. Im defining 'best' copies as most desirable. I dont think any o fus would 'desire' a retouched copy over an unrestored one at this time....maybe someday, not now.

it was the copy that sold for $81,000 (to Geppi) and then resold by Geppi for $101,000.

But it hasn't changed hands in nearly a decade now.

when were these sales? At auctions? Or at the opening of the Vault along with the Overstreet collection?

"The Mile Highs Church bought secondhand can be identified by two slash marks in the upper left-hand corner, usually followed by a discount price of six to nine cents. The Detective #27 was bought second hand, and is understandably not the highest grade copy in existence. "

My recollection is that when the Church 'Tec #27 sold back in the early 90s, it was described as a "VG". If anyone has their old Overstreets handy, check the market reports from the '90-'94 copies. I'm at work right now, so I can't help in narrowing it down any further ....

Al

Actually, my recollection was that is was a VF

Herm. I've found both sales of the Church 'Tec 27 (Overstreet #22 -- $80K and #25 -- $125K), but the only mention of condition is "mid to high grade." I therefore retract my previous statement .... tongue.gif

In actuality, given the high prices realized and the "mid to high grade" moniker, I would be more inclined to believe that it is a VF like everyone is saying.

I'm chalking this one up to delusions from too much old paper fumes.

Al

Herm. I've found both sales of the Church 'Tec 27 (Overstreet #22 -- $80K and #25 -- $125K)

I remember hearing about the later sale for $125000. It set a record at the time. But I recall it was described as definitely "high-grade" but not the best copy.

So we have these four so far:

1-Allentown

2-copy discovered by Sparkle City, sold to Geppi

2-Mile High

4-recent 8.0 in Heritage...

and number 5???

might be time to update our board census lol

1-Allentown

2-Mile High

and number 5???

You know I'm always interested in these types of things, so how many total copies of Tec #33 would you estimate to still exist?

I'm going to guess somewhere between 150-350?

1-Allentown

2-Mile High

and number 5???

You know I'm always interested in these types of things, so how many total copies of Tec #33 would you estimate to still exist?

that might be a reasonable estimate...my old 4.5 ow/w copy (now a 5.0) was nice to own for a year +

1-Allentown

2-Mile High

and number 5???

that might be a reasonable estimate...my old 4.5 ow/w copy (now a 5.0) was nice to own for a year +

I could only imagine; that must have been an amazing book to own. :cloud9:

I wouldn't be shocked if there were 250 of fewer copies to be honest with you.

54 total graded copies (only 27 of them are unrestored) and I'd be a bit surprised if there were 200+ raw copies floating around out there.

1-Allentown

2-Mile High

and number 5???

54 total graded copies (only 27 of them are unrestored) and I'd be a bit surprised if there were 200+ raw copies floating around out there.

it was very nice..I'll post a scan later...

1-Allentown

2-Mile High

and number 5???

ryan, I think you are underestimating the # of raw copies... I believe you have mentioned before you are in your early 20's (shrug) so your experience might be limited (though not un appreciated (thumbs u )

from some of us old timers, I can tell you that there are hundreds and hundreds of raw copies out there in collections and in invetories... I have probably seen 50+ copies myself over the years, and I find it highly unlikely/improbable I have seen 20% of all copies...my guess is the # is closer to 500+, but alas, as with any speculation, we will never know (thumbs u

1-Allentown

2-Mile High

and number 5???

ryan, I think you are underestimating the # of raw copies... I believe you have mentioned before you are in your early 20's (shrug) so your experience might be limited (though not un appreciated (thumbs u )

from some of us old timers, I can tell you that there are hundreds and hundreds of raw copies out there in collections and in invetories... I have probably seen 50+ copies myself over the years, and I find it highly unlikely/improbable I have seen 20% of all copies...my guess is the # is closer to 500+, but alas, as with any speculation, we will never know (thumbs u

the best GA book I have kept tabs on is Marvel Mystery 9, which I have followed with a fine comb since 1997... :luhv:

1-Allentown

2-Mile High

and number 5???

Me...both young and possessing less experience than some of the most knowledgeable collectors in the hobby?

Gator, quite frankly I'm a bit...okay you may be right. :(

Nevertheless, I never lack the enthusiasm to learn from those more experienced. (thumbs u

I do not have your level of experience; nor have I had the pleasure of being able to see so many raw copies of mega-key books the caliber of Tec #33. So call my guesstimates less founded if you will; I just have a hard time believing there to be that many raw copies tucked away in private collections.

Could I be mistaken? Of course as we really have no way of knowing for sure.

1-Allentown

2-Mile High

and number 5???

Me...both young and possessing less experience than some of the most knowledgeable collectors in the hobby?

Nevertheless, I never lack the enthusiasm to learn from those more experienced. (thumbs u

I do not have your level of experience; nor have I had the pleasure of being able to see so many raw copies of mega-key books the caliber of Tec #33. So call my guesstimates less founded if you will; I just have a hard time believing there to be that many raw copies tucked away in private collections.

for what it's worth, I've collected GA for 15 years now, and Tec 33 has been the most "common" Pre Robin Bat cover that I have seen compared to the other Bat covers in the run...

1-Allentown

2-Mile High

and number 5???

your enthusiasm is appreciated for sure (thumbs u

what remains, is what you "believe" (or me, or anyone) has to be based in some meritt, on "facts" or extrapolation of available information.... just because one's knowledge or information is limited, shouldn't limit one's opinion or ability to accept as "fact" what might seem "hard to believe"... trust me, there are hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of copies of tec 33 out there ... "believe it, or not " Ripley 2010 lol