• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Inflation Drives Art to Record Prices

91 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, vodou said:

Please no shoeshine boys here. Please. I'm sure you guys have 100 or more other ways to lose money ;) 

https://market-ticker.org/akcs-www?post=241423

https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/armstrongeconomics101/basic-concepts/gameshop-who-done-it/

Who said anything about making or losing money. That’s so 20th century. These kids just want social justice and lultz.

33 minutes ago, vodou said:

Au contraire mon frere...they very much want The Money. That's why the class action against Robinhood ;) 

Well if that’s the case than they are at definitely at the wrong place. There will be no monetary justice (or any other type for that matter) in the U.S. court system. 

In my estimate the lawsuit is really a publicity stunt anyways. A public spectacle. A show boat opportunity. Another lultz.  

10 hours ago, RBerman said:

The Gamestop/AMC prank, allegedly intended to punish short-sellers, seems like a golden opportunity to engage in short-selling now that the stock values are so far away from the value of the companies in question.

I loved it; and it may serve as a warning to the pump and dump attitude that sometimes emanates from The Street. Sort of like a lynch mob which goes out to get the murderer who got off on a technicality--and does.

On 1/28/2021 at 10:12 PM, RBerman said:

The Gamestop/AMC prank, allegedly intended to punish short-sellers, seems like a golden opportunity to engage in short-selling now that the stock values are so far away from the value of the companies in question.

Good luck finding shares to short.

The hedge fund ghouls got what they deserved. Hey maybe time for original comic artwork shares to trade on Wall Street. I dare the hedgies to short a Sal Buscema position:

Sal Nation day traders will go G Stop 2.0 on their asphalt!

3 hours ago, Bronty said:

Yeah, I agree that they got what they deserved.    I don't know about ghouls, but if you were so short on something that people were able to screw you, don't put yourself in that position.   You did it to yourself.

I encourage people to read the WSB subreddit for lultz 

Personally, I appreciate the morality of it. But I read to many comic books when I was younger so I’m always intrigued by these types of psychological issues where villains mistakenly believe they are hero’s 

The OA % gains look comparatively paltry compared to what is happening in sports cards.  Some absolutely horrifying results at Goldin Auctions last night, including a pair of 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan cards graded PSA 10 that sold for $720K each.  This was a $155K card 56 days ago.  It was $75K 6 months ago.  $30-$35K all day, every day a year ago. 

A 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle PSA 8 sold for $1.566 million.  I was the underbidder on one of these back in 2011 or 2012 on one that sold around $86K IIRC.  I figured that I'd just buy the next one that came around, as the card had been selling in the $75-90K range for years and looked positively stable.  Oops.  Instead, it ran up to $660K in 2016 or 2017 and has been largely trading in the $400-600K range since then until last night's sale left the old record in the dust. 

A 2003 Panini Cristiano Ronaldo PSA 10 sold for $205K.  The last sale was $50K two months ago.  

It was the bloodbath to end all bloodbaths.  

15 minutes ago, delekkerste said:

The OA % gains look comparatively paltry compared to what is happening in sports cards.  Some absolutely horrifying results at Goldin Auctions last night, including a pair of 1986 Fleer Michael Jordan cards graded PSA 10 that sold for $720K each.  This was a $155K card 56 days ago.  It was $75K 6 months ago.  $30-$35K all day, every day a year ago. 

A 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle PSA 8 sold for $1.566 million.  I was the underbidder on one of these back in 2011 or 2012 on one that sold around $86K IIRC.  I figured that I'd just buy the next one that came around, as the card had been selling in the $75-90K range for years and looked positively stable.  Oops.  Instead, it ran up to $660K in 2016 or 2017 and has been largely trading in the $400-600K range since then until last night's sale left the old record in the dust. 

A 2003 Panini Cristiano Ronaldo PSA 10 sold for $205K.  The last sale was $50K two months ago.  

Yes, all of this is true but “We like the OA”

2 hours ago, delekkerste said:

Check out blowout forums. It’s insane how glib people are about prices. What’s more trimming is still an issue with high end graded so what exactly are they buying?

4 minutes ago, stinkininkin said:

I can't say I wouldn't be tempted.

And do what with the proceeds? All the money in the world won't buy you the world of 2019. That shiite is just gone.

That's my analysis of the situation every time someone tells me I should cut the crummiest 20% of my collection of -at today's prices- and never have another financial concern again. And...so what? Like money is all that matters? I'll keep the art, thank you, guaranteed I'm happy with that.