• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America Golden Age ooptions... interested but first, a few questions.
1 1

5 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I am on my journey to acquire a golden age Captain America comic published between the war years of 1940-1945. I've got a few options so far. The first is issue #50 and from what I see it was the first published after Japan had officially surrendered and the process of returning home began. The copy is coverless and has damage in the bottom left corner that is described as a "chew through" going completely through the comic. In my search so far, it seems that the coverless issues will fit better within my my price range but obviously don't present as well and don't seem as desirable. As for the price of issue #50 I may be able to acquire it for $200-$250. I do however have an opportunity at purchasing issue #22 that is missing both the centerfold and back cover for $700 which is a huge price jump. The comic looks super sharp though and would present nicely but can't help but to wonder if that price is in line with its value or if it is too high? Essentially is it worth it, for either? At this point in my life and I'm certain that at most other points, I won't really be able to justify spending that kind of money ($700 for #22) on a single issue. I'm sure that my current lack of knowledge plays into this, as I would love to own a solid golden age issue but the prices kind of scare me away. I probably should have been looking into this about 10 years ago but I didn't, so here I sit and contemplate. As a history major, I am well aware that the farther we get from the events of our past, their primary sources and items of importance become harder and harder to find, so I am stuck with the feeling that if I wait 10-20 years etc. the issues of Captain America's Timely run will become more scare and the prices will rise, even higher than they already are.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600-1.jpg

s-l1600-2.jpg

s-l1600-6.jpg

s-l1600-4.jpg

Edited by SkoBuffs99

Hi, I wouldn't buy  that one if I were you. Its missing pages and doesn't look good. So you want to get one GA Cap book?  Issue 22 is probably my favorite cover although I do shy away from war covers personally. I just got a #17 I'm still waiting to arrive in the mail.

Well if you want a GA Cap you're going to have to spend some money but not break your bank account too much. I would say research past sales and be patient. I would get a cgc graded one this way if you decide to sell you can sell it in a heartbeat for at at least what you paid for it assuming you didn't grossly overpay. And consider a restored (purple label) copy. This one for example just sold for 1,440.00 and it looks pretty darn nice. 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/captain-america-comics-22-timely-1943-cgc-gd-18-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/122108-17157.s?type=GoCollect122108

And this Purple label went for a mere 720.00 a year ago.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/captain-america-comics-22-timely-1943-cgc-apparent-vg-45-slight-mod-c-2-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/122010-13090.s?type=GoCollect122010

I would avoid missing pages, if I had to pick one, it would be coverless but complete...I think you shoud go for Blue Label CGC graded Cap and it will cost  more...that is sure to protect your costs of getting the book, also, it is great to display and protect it at the same time. Cap's are a great first choice...good luck

Edited by Mmehdy