• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Quick question about Bob Overstreet.
1 1

33 posts in this topic

On 3/19/2021 at 12:19 PM, Robot Man said:
On 3/19/2021 at 8:23 AM, adamstrange said:

Diamond15.jpg

Diamond17.jpg

Diamond18.jpg

Diamond19.jpg

Diamond20.jpg

Diamond10.jpg

Expand  

Man, I can’t imagine how bad he wanted that woman out his life to sell all these...:sorry:

Or probably a more accurate assessment with these types of situations, I can't imagine how much he wanted that other woman into his life to sell all these.  :devil:

Being in a nostalgic mood this past weekend and a fan of the 60's and 70's music sounds, I remember being in London a few years ago and heard Agnetha with her beautiful angelic voice singing a foreign live concert version of this song with her band, while tears were coming out of her eyes.  How sad and ironic that Bjorn would write this song about their broken marriage for her to sing as one of their last big hits before the band would inevitably break up a couple of years later:  :(

It was clear who the winner was as Bjorn had his new girlfriend with him before the week was out while Agnetha was left brokenhearted and needed pyschiatric counselling just to try to figure out what had happened to their mangled relationship.  Especially poignant is the part where she sings "Tell me does she kiss like I used to kiss you" and "Does it feel the same when she calls your name".  :cry:

Too bad I couldn't find a copy of the foreign version as I always think that songs sound a lot more exotic in another language, like their Spanish versions of both  Fernando and Chiquitita.  :luhv:

On 3/18/2021 at 11:38 PM, sfcityduck said:

Yeah, but first I need to confirm which book it was.  For a variety of reasons, it is likely Bob would remember what it is he bought and whether he sold it to Geppi.  I can then move on to asking Geppi what happened to it.  Bob should remember because he wanted the book badly enough that he took a vacation with his family to go meet the OO (who also took his family on vacation to meet Bob) at a memorable location.  The family photos should help jar Bob's memory if that's an issue.  

If it was really a book of value then it definitely went to Geppi. Martha really got a raw deal for the small number of books that were assigned to her (things like Green Giant #1 and other mainly esoteric books) and most all were listed in the pages of CBM. Hopefully, she got a much more equitable share of cash from the sale to Geppi.  Looking at the brochure though makes me remember all the Church copies though that Bob had and traded for nice "unrestored" copies and cash (things like the Adventure 40 & 48, and All Star #3).

On 3/19/2021 at 3:19 PM, Robot Man said:

Man, I can’t imagine how bad he wanted that woman out his life to sell all these...:sorry:

More like how bad he wanted his best friend's wife in his life.

On 3/22/2021 at 11:31 PM, Crowzilla said:

If it was really a book of value then it definitely went to Geppi. Martha really got a raw deal for the small number of books that were assigned to her (things like Green Giant #1 and other mainly esoteric books) and most all were listed in the pages of CBM.

I got the impression that most likely all of the books that were listed and pictured in the pamphlet along with all of the boxes that were carted out during the Saturday feeding frenzy came from Bob's split of the collection.  If so, Martha clearly did not know much about the guide even though she had been listed in the Acknowledgements Section and the collection was split more along the lines of quantity (i.e. count) as opposed to quality (i.e. value).  (shrug)

Since I was staying over the weekend until Monday night, Snyder asked me to come back on Monday to go into the actual vault where all of the books were kept since they apparently did not get a chance to cart out Martha's portion of the collection and I could take whatever I wanted.  When I first walked in there it seem like the final scene in Raiders of the Lost Ark with shelves upon shelves of boxes filled with vintage collectible comic books, but clearly the best books had already come out over the weekend.  :cloud9:

5 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I got the impression that most likely all of the books that were listed and pictured in the pamphlet along with all of the boxes that were carted out during the Saturday feeding frenzy came from Bob's split of the collection.  If so, Martha clearly did not know much about the guide even though she had been listed in the Acknowledgements Section and the collection was split more along the lines of quantity (i.e. count) as opposed to quality (i.e. value).  (shrug)

Well yes, and no. She got an equal value - according to the Overstreet Guide.  So it would go something like this:

Bob: I like Batman, so I'll keep these VF copies of Detective 35-37, that's about $5,000 in guide, and you can have this super-rare high demand Green Giant #1. It's $5,300 in guide but we will call it even as I just want to be fair.

Martha: Okay

Bob: I added up the Guide values for the run of Captain America and Captain Marvel, and they are almost even, so I'll keep the Captain America and you can have the Captain Marvels, they are in great shape. Then to make sure you get a nice Timely run, you can have this set of Young Allies, and I'll keep something junkie like these Mysterymen comics.

Martha: Sounds fair.

On 3/23/2021 at 7:59 AM, tth2 said:
On 3/22/2021 at 11:31 PM, Crowzilla said:

More like how bad he wanted his best friend's wife in his life.

So Bob Overstreet was the Eric Clapton of comic collecting. 

So you are saying the inner workings of the comic book collecting world has the same dynamics as the sex, drugs, and rock & roll of the music world.  lol

So much hanky panky sharing of love going around, especially since it was the so-called love generation at the time.  I assume you must be referring to the beautiful Boyd sisters here with Eric Clapton going out with younger sister Paula at the start even though he had eyes only for older sister Patti.  I guess even through all of the infidelities on everybody's part, Patti was the love of George's life and he write the classic song "Something" for her while Eric Clapton wrote the song "Layla" for her.  :ohnoez:

Not to be left out, middle sister Jenny who got married to Mick Fleetwood had this beautiful song written about her by Donovan (love from afar in this case, I guess) even though some thought it was about Sue Lyon (from Lolita movie fame) who he was or had been going out with at the time:  :luhv:

On 3/18/2021 at 9:06 PM, sfcityduck said:

Once again, if anyone has a direct line to Bob, could you PM me the email or telephone number?  I think you would be making two people (Bob and my friend) happy.  Or if you know someone who does have the email/telephone number, I'd greatly appreciate if you could put me in touch with that person.  

Thanks!

Did you ever get a hold of Bob? You could try Overstreet12@aol.com.

April Fools! I have no idea what Bob's e-mail address is, but I hope you get in touch with him. I'm curious to hear the end of the story.

On 3/26/2021 at 12:06 AM, lou_fine said:

So you are saying the inner workings of the comic book collecting world has the same dynamics as the sex, drugs, and rock & roll of the music world.  lol

So much hanky panky sharing of love going around, especially since it was the so-called love generation at the time.  I assume you must be referring to the beautiful Boyd sisters here with Eric Clapton going out with younger sister Paula at the start even though he had eyes only for older sister Patti.  I guess even through all of the infidelities on everybody's part, Patti was the love of George's life and he write the classic song "Something" for her while Eric Clapton wrote the song "Layla" for her.  :ohnoez:

Not to be left out, middle sister Jenny who got married to Mick Fleetwood had this beautiful song written about her by Donovan (love from afar in this case, I guess) even though some thought it was about Sue Lyon (from Lolita movie fame) who he was or had been going out with at the time:  :luhv:

Those Boyd sisters sure got around and traveled in the right circles didn’t they? I remember me and my pal Larry had the biggest crush on Patti. Larry had a bunch of pictures of her stuck up on his wall. He cut them out of teen magazines and carefully cut George out of them...:roflmao:

2 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Those Boyd sisters sure got around and traveled in the right circles didn’t they? I remember me and my pal Larry had the biggest crush on Patti. Larry had a bunch of pictures of her stuck up on his wall. He cut them out of teen magazines and carefully cut George out of them...:roflmao:

Did he paste pictures of himself in George's place?