• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did They Have Comic Bags in the 40's?

13 posts in this topic

Along these lines, I remember buying back issues from antique dealers & comic stores in the late 1970s that were wrapped in ultra-flimsy tearoff plastic bags (the kind you might put fruit in at the supermarket). The bags were too big for a comic, so they would be wrapped around & folded in the back and then taped in several places to seal them. Not too long ago, a relative gave me a couple of beatup old 70s comics they'd come across...each one was wrapped in those same kind of fruit bags, and it was such a funny shock of nostalgia/recognition for me to see those again...

thumbsup2.gif No bags in the 60's as well? That's very surprising and makes me appreciate high grade stuff even more.

Yeah, but if they had those crappy polypropylene bags in the 40's and 50's, then those books would not be in very good shape at all. I'll bet that the bags would have fused to the comic by now.

Dunno. I've heard all that stuff from suppliers about having to change poly bags every few years 893blahblah.gif but I've seen so many stories from people (like me) who haven't and have had no problems, that I have my doubts.

Along these lines, I remember buying back issues from antique dealers & comic stores in the late 1970s that were wrapped in ultra-flimsy tearoff plastic bags (the kind you might put fruit in at the supermarket). The bags were too big for a comic, so they would be wrapped around & folded in the back and then taped in several places to seal them. Not too long ago, a relative gave me a couple of beatup old 70s comics they'd come across...each one was wrapped in those same kind of fruit bags, and it was such a funny shock of nostalgia/recognition for me to see those again...

I actually have bought a couple books off eBay that were still in those type bags! blush.gif

Not ones made for comics specifically. Those didn't come on the scene until the 70's I believe.

From what I have heard some collectors used other types of bags to store them in.

I beg to differ.

There were polybags for comics in the 60's. They were sold by ROBERT BELL. They even had his name and address printed on the flap. I still have some I kept just for nostalgic purpose. When did the ZIP CODE start? I believe the address has the ZONE number, not the ZIP. I'll look for the ones I saved and try to show one of um later.

Not ones made for comics specifically. Those didn't come on the scene until the 70's I believe.

From what I have heard some collectors used other types of bags to store them in.

I beg to differ.

There were polybags for comics in the 60's. They were sold by ROBERT BELL. They even had his name and address printed on the flap. I still have some I kept just for nostalgic purpose. When did the ZIP CODE start? I believe the address has the ZONE number, not the ZIP. I'll look for the ones I saved and try to show one of um later.

Zip Code began in 1963. I remember being taught about them in school.

I beg to differ.

Okay so I was off a few years, the question was about bags in the 40s. Now do you want to beg to differ about bags being around back then?

I beg to differ.

Okay so I was off a few years, the question was about bags in the 40s. Now do you want to beg to differ about bags being around back then?

Well I bet if you bought some comics in the 40's they may put them in a brown paper bag so..... crazy.gif

I beg to differ.

Well I bet if you bought some comics in the 40's they may put them in a brown paper bag so..... crazy.gif

....along with your eggs & butter (if you found any).

I actually have bought a couple books off eBay that were still in those type bags! blush.gif

Cool! There are so many mom-n-pop sellers on ebay, I find it very easy to believe. I'm sure many of the books they sell have been sitting in attics, basements etc for decades, and whatever random storage materials they had are right along with them. That's ebay for ya! (And come to think of it, I once received an ebay-purchased Superman #23 in a ziploc bag...)