• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Worst 9.8 ever?
3 3

55 posts in this topic

On 1/28/2022 at 4:29 PM, Crops068 said:

Just saw this posted in one of the FB groups....

May be an image of text that says 'CGC UNIVERSAL GRADE Something is Killing the Children #1 Boom! Studios, 9/19 9.8 James Tymion story WHITE ages Werther Dan cover Second Printing 3923064005 Ist appearasce Eric Slaughter CGC BOOM! TYNIONIV DELL'EDERA MUERTO'

May be an image of text that says 'is'

May be an image of text that says 'DELL'EDERA MUERTO SOME is KILLI CHILD'

I wonder who got the 8.5 label on their 9.8 2nd printing?

Which begs the question, what would you do if this was your slab that you received back from CGC? You send something in anticipating an 8.0 or 8.5… And it comes back in a 9.8 label. I couldn’t do nothing. I’m afraid I’d have to contact CGC to  inform them there’s been a mistake. I could never sell a 9.8 like this in good conscience. 

On 1/28/2022 at 3:29 PM, Crops068 said:

Just saw this posted in one of the FB groups....

May be an image of text that says 'CGC UNIVERSAL GRADE Something is Killing the Children #1 Boom! Studios, 9/19 9.8 James Tymion story WHITE ages Werther Dan cover Second Printing 3923064005 Ist appearasce Eric Slaughter CGC BOOM! TYNIONIV DELL'EDERA MUERTO'

May be an image of text that says 'is'

May be an image of text that says 'DELL'EDERA MUERTO SOME is KILLI CHILD'

I wonder who got the 8.5 label on their 9.8 2nd printing?

And we have a winner! 😂.  Edited to add… there are no grading notes.  And the seller provided before pics with the defects so it was not CGC damage in process. I can only figure that they got this label swapped from a legit 9.8 book.

Edited by BladeTX
Add content

On 1/29/2022 at 10:29 AM, Mr. Zipper said:

Which begs the question, what would you do if this was your slab that you received back from CGC? You send something in anticipating an 8.0 or 8.5… And it comes back in a 9.8 label. I couldn’t do nothing. I’m afraid I’d have to contact CGC to  inform them there’s been a mistake. I could never sell a 9.8 like this in good conscience. 

I received a slab back with the wrong label, in my favor.  It was Negan Lives #1, I sent 2nd print Bronze Foil (1 per store) and they labeled it 1st Print Gold Foil (1 per store).  Just a simple issue but at the time a $100 difference, not so much now.  I called as soon as I saw the error and had them correct it.

So yeah I would absolutely call and have it fixed. But I am afraid there are far more that would take advantage instead of do the right.

On 1/29/2022 at 1:17 PM, BladeTX said:

And we have a winner! 😂.  Edited to add… there are no grading notes.  And the seller provided before pics with the defects so it was not CGC damage in process. I can only figure that they got this label swapped from a legit 9.8 book.

Isn't it still a possibility that the grade is what they intended and there simply aren't any notes?!  I've heard that 9.8's, among others, ofttimes don't have notes!  

On 1/23/2022 at 8:31 PM, Randall Dowling said:

Isn't the whole point of certification that the grade is an accurate representation of the book?

yes it is, and that it being slabbed at that grade helps it retain that grade as it is being stored/sold. Really sucks that for that BZZZRK copy, it being slabbed has lead to the grade worsening after the slab was shaken around.

On 1/29/2022 at 10:29 AM, Mr. Zipper said:

I couldn't have something in my collection like this even without an intent to sell. It would bother me too much.

Edited by Lord Gemini

On 1/30/2022 at 9:40 PM, The-Collector said:

I might be misremembering but I think there was an SS copy of an Iron Man book with a huge tape pull on the FC in a 9.8 slab. 

Expert, texpert, choking smokers, don't you think The Joker laughs at you?!  Ho, ho, ho, he, he, he, ha, ha, ha!  (: