• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What happened?

49 posts in this topic

I just got into the comics scene this summer (..first day of fall today smile.gif) and it seems that their are no new super heroes that really stick. I may be mistaken on this, this is also a partial reason for me posting. In the past 10 year or so I havn't seen a comic character that has become popular. Nightwing - don't know when he made his first appearance but he seems pretty new to me from what I know. Sentry - is that new? Heard quite a bit about that here and there. Anyways, are their any super heroes in the past 10 years or so that have become popular? It seems that I just see re-tellings and different stories of the originals - X-Men, Batman, Superman, etc..

There have been quite a few new characters to emerge in Comics in the past few years. However none of them have established themselves as major characters.

Nightwing is Grayson, the first Robin. The 3rd or current Robin is Tim Drake.

Nightwing debuted quite some time ago.

the Sentry is relatively new and seems to be playing a fairly prominent role. not sure if x-23 qualifies. Gambit -- but he's even nearing 10-15 years old.

You're right though -- sort of a shortage on new creations that become important.

Yeh, it's kind of dissapointing you know? I really wish something new would come out. Sure, I love Nightwing (I only have issue 100/111 and havn't read either, although I'm planning on buying 101-110, 112) but that's a part of Batman. And I found out about Nightwing through reading Batman.

As for the 3rd Robin, Tim Drake (the one who wears pants) - he's the only Robin I've liked, the others seem a little.."gay".

As for the 3rd Robin, Tim Drake (the one who wears pants) - he's the only Robin I've liked, the others seem a little.."gay".

Hard not to when wearing short-shorts. blush.gif

Marvel and DC rely on their corporate assets to continue to sell well, so there isn't a lot of incentive to create new characters when they have more than enough older characters that they can recycle.

DC does a very good job of recreating older characters by passing the mantles on to someone new and redefining what the concepts are, and if that doesn't work they bring back the original in a spectacular way. But new characters don't seem to stick around long...

Marvel's X-23, arguably the most popular new character Marvel has created over the last few years is a female clone of Wolverine - essentially the same powers but looks cute in a Catholic school girl's outfit.

HOWEVER... if you are willing to go outside of DC and Marvel, I think INVINCIBLE (published by Image Comics) is probably the best new superhero character created in a long time.

Love Green Lantern, Supergirls great too (at least 1).

I was never into Green Lantern much. Obviously came across him in other books, but never picked up a dedicated comic. Until GL Corps: Recharge #1 this week.

Awesome book, IMO. Now I'm psyched to see what the Guardians have in store for the Corps as a whole, what with Infinite Crisis about to break out and their seeming 'knowledge' of what's about to go down.

As far as 'new' characters though, I agree, there hasn't been much in the DC and Marvel 'verses. You'd have to check out the independent publishers for new blood.

In the past 10 year or so I havn't seen a comic character that has become popular.

It's not surprising, really. The current readership is adult, and getting older, and these guys want what they grew up with... only different.

So naturally that means lots of Silver and Bronze Age characters, as well as tons of relaunches of existing heroes, and the "re-imaginings" like the Marvel Ultimate line.

As kids drive the "new character" movement, I do not believe there will ever be a new super hero that ever catches on with mainstream audiences. Just more of the same (only different!) for an aging readership.

Hmm..Thanks for your thoughts guys, very reasonable.

I still love older characters like: Batman, Superman, Green Lantern, etc., but I'd also love to see something new that sticks. Anyways, I'll do a little research tomorrow on that "Invincible" comic Kev was talking about.

Also, is X-23 good?

In the past 10 year or so I havn't seen a comic character that has become popular.

It's not surprising, really. The current readership is adult, and getting older, and these guys want what they grew up with... only different.

So naturally that means lots of Silver and Bronze Age characters, as well as tons of relaunches of existing heroes, and the "re-imaginings" like the Marvel Ultimate line.

As kids drive the "new character" movement, I do not believe there will ever be a new super hero that ever catches on with mainstream audiences. Just more of the same (only different!) for an aging readership.

You're such a downer, but I agree. frown.gif Is it really bad though? confused.gif