• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Purple Restored vs. Blue Apparent?

80 posts in this topic

I think that when they use conserved it will only refer to items done to the book to keep the structural integrety of the book intact, tear seals. etc while not trying to hide the original defect. While restoration is trying to hide the defect and make the book appear as close to "new condition as possible". This is done with other collectibles as well and the difference is realized. I happen to restore cars. And there are different steps taken to conserve older cars as compared to restore a car. Conservation is trying to keep the "originality" while restoration is trying to "improve" the book.

I think that when they use conserved it will only refer to items done to the book to keep the structural integrety of the book intact, tear seals. etc while not trying to hide the original defect. While restoration is trying to hide the defect and make the book appear as close to "new condition as possible". This is done with other collectibles as well and the difference is realized. I happen to restore cars. And there are different steps taken to conserve older cars as compared to restore a car. Conservation is trying to keep the "originality" while restoration is trying to "improve" the book.

thumbsup2.gif

Will CGC make public a list of things they consider conservation and things they consider restoration?

All the subs from Heritage and the other big CGC clients receives a CONSERVED grade, while everything else gets a RESTORED. thumbsup2.gif

Will CGC make public a list of things they consider conservation and things they consider restoration?

All the subs from Heritage and the other big CGC clients receives a CONSERVED grade, while everything else gets a RESTORED. thumbsup2.gif

If you are not joking, you live in a fantasy world. Sometimes I really believe you make strange statements just so you can argue with people. Please tell me you were joking........

CGC will list our conservation and restoration scale (levels) and an explanation of it on our website when it is finalized and after we get the feedback from the collecting community.

If you are not joking, you live in a fantasy world. Sometimes I really believe you make strange statements just so you can argue with people. Please tell me you were joking........

Of course I was joking. I may think the decision is beyond stupid, but I still think you guys have a modicum of dignity. grin.gif

Of course I was joking. I may think the decision is beyond stupid, but I still think you guys have a modicum of dignity. grin.gif

Cool! thumbsup2.gif

CGC will list our conservation and restoration scale (levels) and an explanation of it on our website when it is finalized and after we get the feedback from the collecting community.

...and by collecting community, you refer to the dealers to spend the money with CGC and stand to profit from such a change in labels.

I have not seen anything with regards to a focus group on these boards, who probably represent a significant portion of slabbed collectors collected in one group.

Steve, I'm going to be totally honest in how I see this deal going:

The Loss of the PLOD: I hate it, but you can probably get away with it by using the "new notes" carrot to wow the rubes. A PR challenge, but not a disaster.

The CGC APPARENT GRADE Tier: This is entering minefield territory and I do not see the collector base supporting this move in the least. Even the most naive will surely understand this is a dealer initiative to get rid of that dirty "RESTORED" word. It also goes far beyond the "Purple label is stigmatizing books" excuse for changing it in the first place.

CONSERVED Labels: Let's not even go there, as anyone should be able to see that totally removing any mention of Restored from the label is a bad decision. It opens up the door to scams and is far too sweeping a policy change for CGC to administer without serious time and consideration. To be totally honest, it sounds like a dealer actually designed this part of the new label.

Or to look at it a different way, Susan Cicconi is a "noted comic book RESTORER" who "performs RESTORATION on comic books" and runs "The RESTORATION Lab". Are all her books going to get the RESTORED label?

You can argue semantics all you want, but the comic community identifies with the term Restored and you will have buyer resistance to this move.

...and by collecting community, you refer to the dealers to spend the money with CGC and stand to profit from such a change in labels.

I have not seen anything with regards to a focus group on these boards, who probably represent a significant portion of slabbed collectors collected in one group.

Actually, if you read my first post (in the other thread?), many collectors and some board members will

get the info packet. I have already spoken to a few of the major collectors and many of them do not collect restored books. They have all thought these changes will be positive for all collectors. I know that Jon Berk is in favor of the label change and more information about restoration and conservation. When he gets the info packet, I am sure he will let me know if he likes the way CGC will be making these changes or not. That's it for today, I need to grade. See you all tonight or tomorrow.

Actually, if you read my first post (in the other thread?), many collectors and some board members will

get the info packet. I have already spoken to a few of the major collectors and many of them do not collect restored books. They have all thought these changes will be positive for all collectors. I know that Jon Berk is in favor of the label change and more information about restoration and conservation. When he gets the info packet, I am sure he will let me know if he likes the way CGC will be making these changes or not. That's it for today, I need to grade. See you all tonight or tomorrow.

Since it wasn't very clear, it appeared as if you were sending out an info packet on your changes to the labels of restored books, not to garner feedback from the same collectors.

It's good to see the money-making machine is operating well. thumbsup2.gif

Quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All the subs from Heritage and the other big CGC clients receives a CONSERVED grade, while everything else gets a RESTORED.

Exactly how many restored (or conserved) books do own?

My gues is none (or at least none you want to own).

And do you plan on buying some?

And if the answer is no, then why do you care?

They have all thought these changes will be positive for all collectors.

Sure, I can't get 5 people to agree on what food to order for a lunch meeting, yet ALL of these supposedly unbiased, non-dealer *collectors* are just madly in love with CGC's plan. 27_laughing.gif

thumbsup2.gif Are you guys also going to run the explanations in print like in CBG?

thumbsup2.gif Are you guys also going to run the explanations in print like in CBG?

Yes, it will be in this years Overstreet annual, the CBG, Wizard and also some websites have already agreed that if we do make these and other changes, it will be posted on them or at least they will have a link to our "explanation" (for lack of better term) page.

Yes, it will be in this years Overstreet annual, the CBG, Wizard and also some websites have already agreed that if we do make these and other changes, it will be posted on them or at least they will have a link to our "explanation" (for lack of better term) page.

While I don't necessarily agree with your change, it sounds like you guys will make every attempt to get the word out. And that gets a thumbsup2.gif from me.

Quote:

All the subs from Heritage and the other big CGC clients receives a CONSERVED grade, while everything else gets a RESTORED.

Exactly how many restored (or conserved) books do own?

My gues is none (or at least none you want to own).

And do you plan on buying some?

And if the answer is no, then why do you care?

In fact, there are few restored book sales in the first - out of the 330,000+ sales we have in our database, a total of 4233 are restored representing approx $3.5M in value, which equates to just over 4% of the market.

Regards

GP

In fact, there are few restored book sales in the first - out of the 330,000+ sales we have in our database, a total of 4233 are restored representing approx $3.5M in value, which equates to just over 4% of the market.

But that is the *real* reason this is being done.

Lots of dealers have not wanted to submit their hoards of restored books under the PLOD scenario, and CGC has not seen the revenues it imagined from the raw resto population, so they colluded to change it to a more "newbie spec friendly" format.

Both sides get what they want, and the customer gets screwed... as usual.