• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grading Inconsistancies

42 posts in this topic

On 4/1/2021 at 5:03 AM, UncSven said:

Is centering on the back that important to them? lol...

Yes the same goes for Beckett also, both sides of cards are looked over and any minor flaws on the back of the card can also factor into the final grade.

8 hours ago, Auswulf said:

Yes the same goes for Beckett also, both sides of cards are looked over and any minor flaws on the back of the card can also factor into the final grade.

No... Both beckett and psa both have a 60/40 allowance for the backs of cards in the 10 grade.

From Beckett.com:
"Pristine 10

Centering: 50/50 all around on front. 60/40 or better on back. Corners: Perfect to the naked eye and Mint under magnification. Edges: Perfect to the naked eye and virtually free of flaws under magnification. Surface: No print spots. Flawless color, devoid of registration or focus imperfections. Perfect gloss, devoid of scratches and metallic print lines."

2 minutes ago, UncSven said:

No... Both beckett and psa both have a 60/40 allowance for the backs of cards in the 10 grade.

psa actually allows up to 75/25. Still, both have acceptable "allowances" for the backs of cards...

Beckett having a 60/40 is only for 9s and 9.5s the 10s are 50/50 or if we take the scan from above 1 pixel difference between them. PSA having a 75/25 on the back for a 10 seems like a stretch, maybe a 60/40, but seeing what I have from PSA I would purchase a CGC 9.5 or a Beckett 9.5 any day. This is because I at least know the reasoning behind the grade.

2 hours ago, Slathian said:

Beckett having a 60/40 is only for 9s and 9.5s the 10s are 50/50 or if we take the scan from above 1 pixel difference between them. PSA having a 75/25 on the back for a 10 seems like a stretch, maybe a 60/40, but seeing what I have from PSA I would purchase a CGC 9.5 or a Beckett 9.5 any day. This is because I at least know the reasoning behind the grade.

Incorrect.
I will refer you to my above post where I copy pasted the guidelines from beckett... considering I just posted it, and you ignored it... please read it slowly this time:   
"Pristine 10

Centering: 50/50 all around on front. 60/40 or better on back. Corners: Perfect to the naked eye and Mint under magnification. Edges: Perfect to the naked eye and virtually free of flaws under magnification. Surface: No print spots. Flawless color, devoid of registration or focus imperfections. Perfect gloss, devoid of scratches and metallic print lines."

and the 75/25 allowance is directly from the psa website as well. I thought it was 60/40, but it isn't. At least check these things out before you act like you know them. Especially when I literally just told you what it was, and where I got the information from...

1 hour ago, C Boyd said:

CGC has paid for me to send the card back for a regrade shows received in the system as of this morning

Sounds like a great way for CGC card grading to get the ax and folded up into CSG.

I do not think so as shown previously, the centering was better on my card than the other 2 yet received a lower grade, before they agreed to take it back for a regrade someone looked at the supplied photos and agreed to have it regraded. I dont think they will get the ax for trying to do the right thing.

1 hour ago, C Boyd said:

I do not think so as shown previously, the centering was better on my card than the other 2 yet received a lower grade, before they agreed to take it back for a regrade someone looked at the supplied photos and agreed to have it regraded. I dont think they will get the ax for trying to do the right thing.

Yes, at some point management will want more efficiency. This is costing time and money. They can’t take every card back that someone believes is .5 off and cover the regrading fee and shipping costs.

Edited by Mephisto

12 minutes ago, UncSven said:

scroll up...

Okay.  I see a lot of discussion about how Beckett and PSA handles the back of cards but that probably isn't relevant to CGC's grading standards.

For background I have quite a few magic the gathering cards and some early 90s Marvel and DC related cards but I'm not really a card guy.  CGC doesn't give us detailed information on how they grade comics and all we can do is study the final product and try to reverse engineer their standards.

As card guys I'd imagine you'll also have to study graded cards and reverse engineer their grading standards.  And yes, CGC isn't consistent when grading comics and likely won't be consistent when grading cards.  Grading is subjective and relies on humans who can never be 100% consistent.