• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any online stores stop selling comic books recently?

8 posts in this topic

A long-time high-volume seller of graded comic books on eBay has been pristinecomics-pristineccg.  They genereally priced their books decently, as I recall.  Usually had a few thousands of slabs for sale at any given time.  Almost six weeks ago, they completely stopped selling comic books.  One day mid-February they had those thousands of books for sale, and then literally the next day, all the listings were pulled down.  They explained to me that they preferred to sit out the current upswing because they were sick of under-pricing books that appreciated within days of a sale.  I'm assuming the store is doing well as they are still listing like 3,000 other items on eBay, but they have yet to resume comic book sales.  I hope they come back soon, if only because you can never have too many stores with decent prices.   

Is that store's pullout an isolated incident?  Have any other heavyweights of the sellers' market done the same, and if so, did they return?     

Edited by Pantodude

A new shop opened about 45 minutes from my house. Long time collector who decided he wanted to try selling comics and sports cards. He opened just before the world went crazy. He's got several big keys from his private collection and he was having a hard time keeping up with pricing. 

He had GPA and was pretty savvy with the collectible market, but things were just moving up fast.  

At least he's still selling.  I was just suprised that a store would pull out because prices are moving.  That was weird, because stores are supposed to sell based on info at that moment.  Other folks are selling with no ability to adjust/react via auctions planned days/weeks ahead and take days to complete.  

Edited by Pantodude

8 hours ago, Pantodude said:

They explained to me that they preferred to sit out the current upswing because they were sick of under-pricing books that appreciated within days of a sale. 

Actually, just to correct my recollection, that store said they needed some time to figure how to deal with the changing market, and that they expected to be back soonish, just didn't know when (at that time).  Still waiting.

1 minute ago, Pantodude said:

Actually, just to correct my recollection, that store said they needed some time to figure how to deal with the changing market, and that they expected to be back soonish, just didn't know when (at that time).  Still waiting.

Why not just set up auctions and let the market dictate the price? 

That's a pretty odd business decision. In a boom market unlike anything I have seen in my 40 years of collecting, they are choosing to sit it out because prices keep rising. I have no doubt that a year or two from now, whoever made that decision is going to wonder "what the heck was I thinking!!??"

16 hours ago, Pantodude said:

At least he's still selling.  I was just suprised that a store would pull out because prices are moving.  That was weird, because stores are supposed to sell based on info at that moment.  Other folks are selling with no ability to adjust/react via auctions planned days/weeks ahead and take days to complete.  

If a seller believes prices are gonna continue to rise for difficult to replace collectibles, the logical decision is to quit selling.  If the seller is wrong and he misses a golden opportunity to sell at a high point that's on him.  

We've sold a few key books recently and they've been flipped for more within days.   Decided to quit selling what we consider key GA to BA books for now.  

7 hours ago, boomtown said:

That's a pretty odd business decision. In a boom market unlike anything I have seen in my 40 years of collecting, they are choosing to sit it out because prices keep rising. I have no doubt that a year or two from now, whoever made that decision is going to wonder "what the heck was I thinking!!??"

Agreed.  Could be the greatest selling opportunity.