• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How does this impact the grade?

7 posts in this topic

I came across some Bronze age comics locally that were really inexpensive to buy from the original owner. The reason was obvious; he had applied Dymo labels onto the covers back when he bought them new in the 70's. I tried to remove them using various methods, but damaging the book is unavoidable. Since those labels aren't going anywhere, I'm curious just what kind of impact do these labels have on the overall grade of the book. None of the books were abused or improperly stored, but those labels have to impact the grade. The general condition of the books in question would range from 5.0 to 8.0 WITHOUT the label. I'm curious what you folks think the respective grade of these books would be with, and without the label. I've attached pictures of some of the books in question. Thank you very much for helping me to understand grading.

Avengers_106_D.jpg

Avengers_107_D.jpg

Xmen_70_D.jpg

Xmen_76_D.jpg

Xmen_77_D.jpg

Xmen_78_D.jpg

Xmen_79_D.jpg

Xmen_81_D.jpg

Xmen_82_D.jpg

Xmen_85_D.jpg

59 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

Each book would have to be graded individually, and with that, the label potentially affects each book differently.

I doubt that any of them are better than a 7.0 after considering the label.

Thank you very much for your input. It pretty much aligns with my thinking. These books are some some samples I had taken pictures of. There are more, with some being in 8.0 to 8.5 without the label. So what is the highest grade a book with such a label could get? What is the ceiling?

4 minutes ago, Sepo said:

Thank you very much for your input. It pretty much aligns with my thinking. These books are some some samples I had taken pictures of. There are more, with some being in 8.0 to 8.5 without the label. So what is the highest grade a book with such a label could get? What is the ceiling?

7.0, IMO. It is the highest grade that accepts a "major defect".

On 3/29/2021 at 8:48 AM, Angel of Death said:

7.0, IMO. It is the highest grade that accepts a "major defect".

That's what I was thinking. Thank you for confirming that.

On 3/29/2021 at 9:25 AM, XjYoZbQ said:

Thank god the X-Men are reprints eh?

Right? There were a bunch of other books from the same era (Defenders, Avengers, etc.) with the same defect. They were cheap enough to make them worthwhile to me.