• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How often does CGC grading lower when opening the slab

52 posts in this topic

So what we’re saying is that there’s tons of anecdotal evidence of books that go up, down, or stay the same, and that it may depend on the signer, the facilitator, the book, the mood of the grader that day, and possibly pressing.  Who could have foreseen that answer?  Who could have foreseen that there’s no huge database to track this data?

Cool

in summary, if you need a guaranteed grade, don’t crack.  If you want to Max your chance of grade retention, pay for pressing too.  If the money doesn’t work out based on value or your financial situation, don’t do any of it.

5 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Weird, I was basing myself off of this post (which ties into our conversation about getting the press post signing)

Unless there were 2 Eastman signings ?

Because of the volume of submissions they split the Eastman signing into two separate signings. I sent in five different invoices and only one was completed in the first signing. 

1 hour ago, Ryan. said:

Because of the volume of submissions they split the Eastman signing into two separate signings. I sent in five different invoices and only one was completed in the first signing. 

Thanks, he had me worried that I was the only one.   I had received the email that they split it but I went to bed worried that the second signing had been completed.  Because while my book says, "Received for in House Grading", nothing is ever certain especially with the reported volume. 

Edited by Buzzetta

3 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

Thanks, he had me worried that I was the only one.   I had received the email that they split it but I went to bed worried that the second signing had been completed.  Because while my book says, "Received for in House Grading", nothing is ever certain especially with the reported volume. 

I didn't mean to worry you, just curious to the result.

Hello! This post is amazing! I am glad of finding it before I sent some comics. So I am in this position. I have 2 #1 torments signed by Stan and Mcfarlane, 1 is a 9.8 and the other one a 9.2. Jim Salicrup is comming to a local convention and was thinking of getting the signature. After all the comment's here... I decided that I won't risk the 9.8, but was thinking about sending the 9.2 and getting it pressed for the hope of maybe having it come back with a 9.4 or so. Do you think that is worth the risk with a 9.2? Or it wouldn't be worth the risk to add Jims' signature but lowering the grade?

Thanks for all the insight!!

On 4/8/2023 at 9:29 PM, Pablinho said:

Hello! This post is amazing! I am glad of finding it before I sent some comics. So I am in this position. I have 2 #1 torments signed by Stan and Mcfarlane, 1 is a 9.8 and the other one a 9.2. Jim Salicrup is comming to a local convention and was thinking of getting the signature. After all the comment's here... I decided that I won't risk the 9.8, but was thinking about sending the 9.2 and getting it pressed for the hope of maybe having it come back with a 9.4 or so. Do you think that is worth the risk with a 9.2? Or it wouldn't be worth the risk to add Jims' signature but lowering the grade?

Thanks for all the insight!!

Well, it depends on how the already graded 9.2 looks. Take multiple shots of the front and back cover, the spine, and all four corners front and back. It's tough when a comic is slabbed to see the imperfections, but you can try posting that here and/or in the PGM thread. This way you can get a better idea of what the members think based upon their vast experiences and expertise. For example, non-color breaking ticks/bends can make a huge difference in the probable success of a clean and press (C&P) and help determine if the extra money spent is worth it considering the overall condition of the comic in question.

Edited by CHASEnBLUE