• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How often does CGC grading lower when opening the slab

52 posts in this topic

Hi,

I was thinking of sending in a 9.8 cgc graded comic for signing but am a bit wary of the comic grade lowering as a result of re-opening the slab. 

I wondering how often does the grade lower upon opening the slab?

I've never sent comics in before and only bought them as slabs.

2 hours ago, Rly said:

Hi,

I was thinking of sending in a 9.8 cgc graded comic for signing but am a bit wary of the comic grade lowering as a result of re-opening the slab. 

I wondering how often does the grade lower upon opening the slab?

I've never sent comics in before and only bought them as slabs.

Often enough that people have gotten really mad and CGC now writes a big warning sign when you start the submission process. 

So if you are ok with it going down a grade, then send it. If it must remain 9.8, then dont send it.

6 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Often enough that people have gotten really mad and CGC now writes a big warning sign when you start the submission process. 

So if you are ok with it going down a grade, then send it. If it must remain 9.8, then dont send it.

But not so often that everyone is completely deterred

answers will be extremely anecdotal, no one is tracking the data 

Edited by revat

I have not, and I probably would not send in a 9.8+ I already had. But I'd send in anything lower. Or just find a raw that works and looks to be a 9.8 candidate.

43 minutes ago, Rly said:

Would or have you sent in a graded comic for signing?

1 hour ago, Rly said:

I did for the Frank Miller signing but that's because my comic was not a 9.8. So I was ok sending it.

It's simple, if your comic MUST remain a 9.8 for you, then don't send it.

If you are ok getting it back as a signed 9.4 then go ahead and send it. 

I've never seen a definitive answer to this question.  My guess is, CGC does not want to be known as a company that ruins the quality of a book during one of their royally exclusive Signature Series events, so they probably are under some pressure to keep the grade as is.  If the only way they will authenticate a signature is through their exclusive events, they should have some standard for quality control - or quality-keeping control.  

I also think that no one should be better at cracking a slab, than CGC.  Right?  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.  I sent in a 9.8 Daredevil (minor key) with Stan Lee's sig. on it, to get signed and remarked by M & J.  I'm keeping it no matter what, anyway.

Ive seen a few scary stories on the subject in the Restoration Issues sub forum.  Even ones where CGC appears to be at fault, yet you still get stuck with the lower grade.  IMO, you would think thats when insurance comes in?  No idea how that works tho..  But if its just some minor tick that takes you down .2 pts, how would you ever prove it? 

Edited by Mirkinator

2 hours ago, Rotcod said:

I also think that no one should be better at cracking a slab, than CGC.  Right? 

No, big time no. No one will take more time and better precaution than you, bar none. Damage can most definitely occur while removing from the slab at CGC. 
But in your case, you don't have a choice since you want to preserve the yellow label. For a blue book though, I would unslab it at home first. Saves on shipping too and lowers chances of shaken comic syndrome.

On 3/28/2021 at 9:38 PM, Rly said:

I have sent a graded comic in for grading 4x.

In the first three instances the books came back at the same grade that I submitted them at but with the added signature of McFarlane who is usually conscious of what he is doing when he signs.

The fourth book is still at CGC so I will let you know what happens. That was a TMNT Raphael in a 9.4 sent for the Eastman signing and a remarque. 

The trick is this.  Don't pretend to think you know what you are doing.  There are things that I know I can do better than most and there are things that I am fully aware that I would fail miserably at if put to task.  One of those things is cracking a slab without screwing up the contents in anyway.  So, I have CGC do it for me.   Besides that, I have a personal belief that sending a book already in a slab is safer than removing it before the trip and placing it in a bag and board. 

Just my 2¢

Edited by Buzzetta

Alot of good comments already but I wanted to give you my experience as it will give you a bigger sample size to compare from.  I only had one slab return with a MUCH lower grade out of the 4 or 5 I cracked open for signatures; with hindsight I wish I never bothered to be honest.  A grade is more important to me than someone's sig no matter who it is.  With that said, my friend has terrible luck cracking open slabs for sigs.  Out of 5 or so that he has done, 3 of them came back with a lower grade that I know of.  He gambled and it didn't pay off, I feel for him because with current market those books would be selling for alot pre-cracked.

Like everyone said, don't bother if the grade is important.  If you do, assume it will come back lower so you will be pleasantly surprised if it retains.

54 minutes ago, XjYoZbQ said:

That's sad :frown:

You seem upset, did Stan Lee's success not rub off on you when you bought your 4.3 Batman comic signed by him?

Let me be clearer for you then, a key 9.8 or higher is more important to me than a yellow label.  I am sure it's that way for most, otherwise we wouldn't even be having this conversation.  I mean it's sad to spend money on graded books AND not care about the grade, right???  :wink: