• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

(show recently purchased) Silver Age Comics that are cooling down (or cold)
2 2

83 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Bludriver said:

Batman 181 & Detective 359 are definitely not cooling down.

They are tepid at best. I sold them for a slight profit after holding them for years. Then instantly watched that money go to work into Marvel books.

I loved both books but Silver DC is lagging and it’s not close.

3 minutes ago, piper said:

They are tepid at best. I sold them for a slight profit after holding them for years. Then instantly watched that money go to work into Marvel books.

I loved both books but Silver DC is lagging and it’s not close.

We are looking at different things then. I am seeing low grade and mid grade double in the past year

15 minutes ago, Bludriver said:

We are looking at different things then. I am seeing low grade and mid grade double in the past year

As in the vast majority of sales of these books....

Anyway, I am holding out on my Batman 181. I love her in the HQ cartoon, but that doesn't seem to have any impact on the price. Her on Gotham was mehhh. She's an interesting character and at some point they'll use her on the big screen.

Although it seems in various DC cartoons that she has exactly the same powers as Swamp Thing (they don't hype up the mind control stuff in the cartoon) in terms of weaponizing plants

Edited by the blob

Maybe we should switch the topic from books that are "cold" to the best opportunities in SA keys? 

Here are a few that come to mind for me. 

Daredevil 7 - first red costume, Wally Wood cover.   This is the DD we all know. It's been moving up,  but still seems affordable. 

Hulk 3 - 6 - #1 and #2 seem to be picking up again,  but 3 - 6 are still pretty affordable from the original run. #5 is my second favorite Hulk covers. 

Doctor strange 169 - first Dr strange in his own title and a really wonderful cover! You can get a petty high grade copy for under $1k 

19 hours ago, Westy Steve said:

So I keep reading the forum for Silver Age comics that are heating up, and using it to figure out what NOT to buy.  Unless the "heat" is extremely recent, in which case I sometimes buy things because of FOMO if it's a book on my long want list anyway.

Remember Journey into Mystery #118?  First Destroyer?  Today it seems to have ONLY a 20% to 50% premium over every JIM from its era right now, even though it's the first appearance of a movie "villian" (machine?).  I want to be careful not to buy a comic now, only to have it go all JIM 118 on me, slowly leaking like the tire on my wife's SUV (yeah, I gotta get that fixed).

So what are the "cold" or "cooling" books?  (I'm talking more about out of favor books here).  Maybe unspoiled by the cinematic universe, or they had their turn on the Marvel/DC CMU merry go 'round and the ride has stopped.  I know there has been a lot of talk about DC keys being cheap, and I believe that's accurate.  

(Not my picture, but it's available for sale at a fair price at a popular auction site)

jim 118.jpg

I frankly do not remember where this got during the first movie 10 years ago, but it is a one off character with no lines, so it clearly didn't have much of a future. But anyway, here's a 6.5 that did pretty well:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Journey-Into-Mystery-118-1st-Destroyer-CGC-6-5-OW-WP-/121643987094?hash=item1c528bf096%3Ag%3APjAAAOSwNSxVSqOg&nma=true&si=BZbpsjZvXBDBh7scMVfgI%2BAabNw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Were 6.5s really selling for more with the movie?

Today's hype $ levels are so far beyond what we were seeing back then on books it is hard to compare. 2011 hype is like 2021 normal pricing.

Edited by the blob

21 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

Maybe we should switch the topic from books that are "cold" to the best opportunities in SA keys? 

Here are a few that come to mind for me. 

Daredevil 7 - first red costume, Wally Wood cover.   This is the DD we all know. It's been moving up,  but still seems affordable. 

Hulk 3 - 6 - #1 and #2 seem to be picking up again,  but 3 - 6 are still pretty affordable from the original run. #5 is my second favorite Hulk covers. 

Doctor strange 169 - first Dr strange in his own title and a really wonderful cover! You can get a petty high grade copy for under $1k 

Heh, I just bought a Hulk 3 because of its beautiful color, its early Marvel pizzazz and because it's "cold".  Looking for more stuff like that.

FWIW, my interest in "cold" isn't so much about finding a good opportunity as it is about not losing its value when (if) the overall comic market cools down.  TBH, I've watched a bunch of my formerly cold comics get hot and I sold them, and now I'm regretting that and trying to rebuild my collection.  I need books that will deliver me from temptation and still be interesting. :) 

8 minutes ago, Wolverinex said:

Brave and Bold 54

Nick Fury stuff.

outside for 3 or 5 issues of sgt. fury, has any of it ever not been cold? you'd think it would have rode the wave, but not really, very little of it is relevant to today's stories (or even stories of the last 10 years), so once you get outside of your couple of 1st appearance issues and von strucker, zemo, cap, is there anything else? unlike Our Army at War/Sgt. Rock, you don't have a killer cover every other issue or so (and Sgt. Rock introduced more interesting characters over the years) [frankly, in hindsight, Our Army at War really was the gem of DCs output for a chunk of the 60s, just MHO]... but in typical DC fashion they didn't understand that they should capitalize on this super popular character and get him into current continuity... it took Marvel all of 5 minutes to have Nick Fury simultaneously having adventures in WW II and later in current continuity as a spy. Perhaps DC didn't want to copy this (given that Sgt. Fury was just a copy of Sgt. Rock, why not?)

52 minutes ago, Westy Steve said:

Heh, I just bought a Hulk 3 because of its beautiful color, its early Marvel pizzazz and because it's "cold".  Looking for more stuff like that.

FWIW, my interest in "cold" isn't so much about finding a good opportunity as it is about not losing its value when (if) the overall comic market cools down.  TBH, I've watched a bunch of my formerly cold comics get hot and I sold them, and now I'm regretting that and trying to rebuild my collection.  I need books that will deliver me from temptation and still be interesting. :) 

the 2.5 and 3.0 that sold recently are not bad looking copies.

I need to get my #2 slabbed. I have dreams that it is a 7.0. Sold to me as an 8.0, of course, but that was 25 years ago.

I was going to say how it is sad that an early key like that is absolutely dwarfed in value by so many new books in 9.8, but I've just looked at recent sales, it might be a $4-5K book in 6.5-7.0... I had it in my head it was maybe $1500

Avengers 2 is still pretty affordable. Possibly because nothing much happens and Space Phantom isn't much of a villian. But who knows, maybe their connections to Immortus/Nathaniel Richards might become relevant.

Edited by the blob

4 hours ago, the blob said:

the 2.5 and 3.0 that sold recently are not bad looking copies.

I need to get my #2 slabbed. I have dreams that it is a 7.0. Sold to me as an 8.0, of course, but that was 25 years ago.

I was going to say how it is sad that an early key like that is absolutely dwarfed in value by so many new books in 9.8, but I've just looked at recent sales, it might be a $4-5K book in 6.5-7.0... I had it in my head it was maybe $1500

Avengers 2 is still pretty affordable. Possibly because nothing much happens and Space Phantom isn't much of a villian. But who knows, maybe their connections to Immortus/Nathaniel Richards might become relevant.

Dang, I should have offered you $2K for your number 2 before you had a chance to look it up.  :)  I used to have a #2, and (like a dumb azz) sold it.  The #2 has climbed significantly...possibly just in sympathy of the #1...they often do that.   Of course, I wade around in the shallow end of the pool...never going much higher than VG.

Avengers #2 sounds interesting...I'll take a look at it.

Regarding Sgt Fury...I was kind of surprised how much the 1st issue moved though.  It used to be fairly cheap.  I should have snagged one of those, but I could fill a book with my dumb decisions.  Hence my not wanting to get "whip sawed" by jumping in and watching it all reverse.

4 minutes ago, Westy Steve said:

Dang, I should have offered you $2K for your number 2 before you had a chance to look it up.  :)  I used to have a #2, and (like a dumb azz) sold it.  The #2 has climbed significantly...possibly just in sympathy of the #1...they often do that.   Of course, I wade around in the shallow end of the pool...never going much higher than VG.

Regarding Sgt Fury...I was kind of surprised how much the 1st issue moved though.  It used to be fairly cheap.  I should have snagged one of those, but I could fill a book with my dumb decisions.  Hence my not wanting to get "whip sawed" by jumping in and watching it all reverse.

"fairly cheap" is relative. I sold a spine split completely cover detached lower grade copy here for about $75 maybe 10 years ago. so, yeah, relatively speaking, cheap, but not THAT cheap. this 3.0 does not look that bad and you can probably get it under $1300: https://www.ebay.com/itm/sgt-fury-and-his-howling-commandos-1-Graded-3-0-1963/363277063019?hash=item549500136b:g:c9EAAOSwMONgFaTZ ... Nick Fury (even if they changed his look) is a huge character in the Marvel Universe in comics and movies. Only TTA 27 and ST 110 are even close to being that low in 3.0 in terms of pre-65 major 1sts. I cannot believe I happily sold my 3.0 or so X-Men 4 for $100 or $120 way back when...I was psyched as I had paid $20 for it 10 years earlier.

14 minutes ago, Westy Steve said:

I would have taken $2K for it in a heartbeat 2 years ago, but it is a book I know I need to get slabbed.

Bc is spot on with Avengers 55. I got back into collecting a bit before Age of Ultron dropped and a mid grade 5.5-6.0 AV 55 was around $200-250. I waited a few years and it went down to a quarter or a third of that. You can still get a 5.5-6.0 for under $100. Which if you like some of the Ultron storylines and future potential use of AI in comics or the MCU it's definitely cold considering.

AV55.jpg

15 hours ago, ft88 said:

Brave and Bold 28 seems weak given it is a true monster key book.  It was once FF1, AF 15 BB 28 as the top.  Even todays hot market this ones seems to be a laggard. 

It really is, I know people can jump on GPA and find a positive trend, but copies just sit and sit on Ebay, the 5.0 on CL seemed like a really good buy to me at $4800 (gpa is even trending up for that grade). It had that chip at the corner but the spine looked like a 8.0 or better and was OW, which for that book should have drawn a premium. I was thinking of going harder after it due to those two things but felt the time may be now on a couple other books due to the market and can circle back to it. 

Edited by PKJ