• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM SLABBED Avengers #1
1 1

30 posts in this topic

Playing devil's advocate, as far as a resubmit goes, it's certainly not going to go any LOWER than a .5, so there's not a HUGE risk there. It's one thing when someone resubs a 9.6 hoping to get a 9.8, or what have you. This book is already in the basement, I don't think it's going to go below ground ha That being said, there's also no guarantee if it would go up to 1.0, so you could potentially be out the grading fees, plus we have to admit that anytime we put a book in the mail, there's some degree of risk that we're never going to see it again, or that it could be catastrophically damaged. So, a resub isn't risk free, but the risk isn't as great as it would be for a high grade book. Is the potential reward worth that risk, is the real question.

It may look like a 1.0 to me, through a slab, via a picture on the internet, but what does that really mean? That's a lot of layers of qualifications, you know? I'm not holding the raw book in my hands, like the graders did. There's a lot of woulda shoulda coulda when looking at a slab, but the graders had their reasons for calling it a 0.5, even if they didn't explicitly mention it in the notes. 

Me personally, I'd keep it as is, because you knew what is was going to be when you got it. But if you ever decided to resub, I'd understand the reasoning there as well.

3 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Playing devil's advocate, as far as a resubmit goes, it's certainly not going to go any LOWER than a .5, so there's not a HUGE risk there. It's one thing when someone resubs a 9.6 hoping to get a 9.8, or what have you. This book is already in the basement, I don't think it's going to go below ground ha That being said, there's also no guarantee if it would go up to 1.0, so you could potentially be out the grading fees, plus we have to admit that anytime we put a book in the mail, there's some degree of risk that we're never going to see it again, or that it could be catastrophically damaged. So, a resub isn't risk free, but the risk isn't as great as it would be for a high grade book. Is the potential reward worth that risk, is the real question.

Hmm, that's a valid point too! It won't go lower than .5. But still a pricey gamble.

I guess I'd be concerned as well that a few of those edge chips and fragments might not make it back. 

11 hours ago, Point Five said:

Hmm, that's a valid point too! It won't go lower than .5. But still a pricey gamble.

I guess I'd be concerned as well that a few of those edge chips and fragments might not make it back. 

Yeah, that's where I'm at. Personally wouldn't resub just because you never know what may happen in transit, but I could see taking the risk if he thought it might be worth it. Personally, I love low grade beaters, so I'd be ok with leaving as is.

Pricey gamble? I want to play poker with you guys :bigsmile:. Downside in value for grade is $0. Upside is what? I don't know the market for SS books and GPA doesn't show any recent transactions. Is the upside $500? Standard is $65 (assume shipped with other books). You need the grade to go up 1 in 7 tries to break even. That's pretty good odds. If the value bump is higher, odds are more compelling. If lower (or cost is higher), then less compelling. 

Looks like a 1.0 to me. Those notes are pretty poor though. Does whole book tears mean the entire book is nearly ripped in half? That is very different than the entire book (every page) has tears. 

35 minutes ago, Shrevvy said:

Pricey gamble? I want to play poker with you guys :bigsmile:. Downside in value for grade is $0. Upside is what? I don't know the market for SS books and GPA doesn't show any recent transactions. Is the upside $500? Standard is $65 (assume shipped with other books). You need the grade to go up 1 in 7 tries to break even. That's pretty good odds. If the value bump is higher, odds are more compelling. If lower (or cost is higher), then less compelling. 

Looks like a 1.0 to me. Those notes are pretty poor though. Does whole book tears mean the entire book is nearly ripped in half? That is very different than the entire book (every page) has tears. 

Agreed.  Play the odds.