• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cracking Books out - Instructions?

42 posts in this topic

Another reason to crack a slab-a desperate attempt to gather attention to ones self.

I don't get it... isn't that a legit question?

I think that Shad is commenting on his perceived cracking as a cry for attention because the "market is crashing".

I could be wrong. confused-smiley-013.gif thats how i read it.

The following is on the back of every CGC book I have. I guess its on every book they slab.

" If you are not familiar with the holding opening procedure,contact an authorize CGC dealer or CGC Customer Sevice at 1-877-NM COMIC for assistance"

Another reason to crack a slab-a desperate attempt to gather attention to ones self.

I don't get it... isn't that a legit question?

Don't worry, Shad is my personal Troll.

If I get up the nerve, I'll post some pics.. which Shad will undoubtably state are doctored. foreheadslap.gif

It worked for me. I might try it on a few when I get home, but the thing peeled back with little resistance.

I also peel apart the inner well with rarely any difficulty (here, again, it could be that Northeast heat and humidity smirk.gif). Try removing the label and grasping the two sides of the well near the midline, then gently pull. On rare occasions, I've had the wells tear at one corner, and as soon as this happens, just quit pulling (scissors are the Plan B).

I've got a JIM 111 that is a VF+ but has an 8.0 label that is just dying to be cracked. Let's all have a Friday afternoon crack(ing) party and share our experiences!

I've done a half-dozen slab cracks over the last couple of years. As I recall, the first ones I peeled apart the inner well with fingernails, no problem at all. More recently I have encountered difficulty doing so, and had to resort to scissors.

I had assumed CGC strengthened their heat sealing process at some time to further discourage tampering, but I don't have any knowledge that was actually the case.

I've always used a butterknife to open the shell, the last 3 opened without breaking the posts.

Then I use scissors, cut the label off and then cut down the sides a few inches, pull gently, if it is in tight you might want to cut the sides a little more.

Then serve up the book with some pasta and a sweet red sauce!

I've always used a butterknife to open the shell, the last 3 opened without breaking the posts.

Then I use scissors, cut the label off and then cut down the sides a few inches, pull gently, if it is in tight you might want to cut the sides a little more.

Then serve up the book with some pasta and a sweet red sauce!

Quick question to everyone who cracks out their books........do you keep the label with the book,send it back to CGC or throw it out?Personally,I wish CGC had a pouch of snake venom in the case that would squirt in your eyes if you cracked it open,but that's just me.... insane.gif

Well it looks like I'll be cracking some CGC books out this weekend, and wondered if anyone had some useful links/instructions. I did a search here, but really didn't find what I'm looking for, as all the good Hammer-Time stuff probably got deleted.

oh it's still there.....

Tools of the Trade

Too bad I don't have the pics I'm referring to in the thread anymore....got deleted a few years ago when my server died

I've now cracked over 50 slabs and not a single one has been really easy. Not hard mind you, but I've never encoutered an inner well that would open without the use of a knife, scissors or my Dremel tool 893whatthe.gif

Well it looks like I'll be cracking some CGC books out this weekend, and wondered if anyone had some useful links/instructions. I did a search here, but really didn't find what I'm looking for, as all the good Hammer-Time stuff probably got deleted.

Someone help me out and quote this as JC is ignoring me! Just send the CGC book into CGC and let them do the work for you, no fuss, no worry!

Davidking623

Having crack a couple of slabbs and I might just do another tonight I think the best think to do is use an exacto blade and slowly score the edges and much as you can then insert on the side opening and slowly work it through. Problem is that as it moves closer to the posts it tends to pop and crack. Its defintely harder to do with the new slabbs but if I want to "fix" a book in an old slabb I would probably try and have the posts cut cleanly then crazy glue them back together.

It worked for me. I might try it on a few when I get home, but the thing peeled back with little resistance.

I also peel apart the inner well with rarely any difficulty (here, again, it could be that Northeast heat and humidity smirk.gif). Try removing the label and grasping the two sides of the well near the midline, then gently pull. On rare occasions, I've had the wells tear at one corner, and as soon as this happens, just quit pulling (scissors are the Plan B).

I've cracked or helped cracked 70 or more slabs and I go with the technique above. I've been able to do half without scissors and half with scissors. CGC's sealing equipment is inconsistent and sometimes it does create too good of a seal. In general, the seal seems to be tougher at the 4 corners, so even in peeling it back by hand you may find that it suddenly comes apart causing you to put a stress in the book if you aren't careful. I don't like cutting (scissors or otherwise) but as Samwise said, "there's nothing for it." You are working very close to the comic on thick plastic and if you can accidently cut the book or put a stress mark on it.