• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

So, has anyone noticed . . .

30 posts in this topic

CGC has been changing the ground rules that have been in effect for 5+ years, and seems to be working as a lapdog for the larger dealers.

That concerns me, and it should also concern you. It also makes me wonder what "new changes" are just around the corner.

i said this 7 months ago! rules are always changing with this restored stuff and it has again! ive made purchases based on there grading system they presently have.i would not have made these purchases based on there proposed system.

todays restored books are tomorrows unrestored[conserved books].watch out newbee,there comming to get you!

CGC has been changing the ground rules that have been in effect for 5+ years, and seems to be working as a lapdog for the larger dealers.

That concerns me, and it should also concern you. It also makes me wonder what "new changes" are just around the corner.

All kidding aside, it does concern me, as you know from my other posts.

I pushed Gemma today for a date when any of the new label changes were going to occur. I was put on hold for a minute . . . reply: "nothing until the new year" 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'm kinda mixed on these changes. Sometimes KISS works great.

No, CGC has been changing THEIR groundrules. In no way does CGC speak for the hobby as a whole. Compare the number of raw vs slabbed books being bought/sold. The number of collectors who do not now nor have even owned slabbed books vs those that do.

And 5+ years? That is about 12.5% of minastream collecting time (figuring 1965 as a general start of this current time of collecting). I would expect to see many changes in a company that is only 5+ years old, and many more to come. Anyone who goes into CGC expecting them to remain stagnant is wearing blinders.

I love how the arguments concerning CGC change when some of the resto fans and dealers want to make a point.

On one hand, CGC controls the upper end of the market and is heralded as the main reason comics are so valuable and popular today.

But when you bring up the fact that CGC is changing gears and making stupid decisions, suddenly they are an unimportant little company who has barely been around long enough to affect the market - so who cares what they do.

foreheadslap.gif

I love how the arguments concerning CGC change when some of the resto fans and dealers want to make a point.

On one hand, CGC controls the upper end of the market and is heralded as the main reason comics are so valuable and popular today.

But when you bring up the fact that CGC is changing gears and making stupid decisions, suddenly they are an unimportant little company who has barely been around long enough to affect the market - so who cares what they do.

foreheadslap.gif

And then there are those of us who only slab bronze and silver age books simply for the protection they offer, with no intent to sell. Eventhough I occasionally slab books, its definitely not often enough for me to care about this whole "purple vs. blue" deal.

I am neither a dealer nor a resto fan. I AM interested in the restoration procesess and some resto I do not mind. I had a beautiful Purple Claw I got from Harley that turned out to have a small amount of marker on the lower right corner. I returned it because of that. (Harley was as gracious as usual and offered no resistance at all). I will seek a resto book if the price is right for books that are upper end in my collecting sphere like a Cap 75 or an Eerie 1 or a Secret Diary of Eerie, but even then will reject some forms of it.

But JC, you should use your own logic in this. You have often said, and rightly so, if you don't know what your doing you should put your money elsewhere. And involving oneself in "the upper end of the market" is certainly one reason to know what one is doing. Which means educating oneself about, amoung other things, restoration. And also reading labels regardless of the label color.

While I originally was in favor of the purple label, I soon changed my mind. I felt, and still do, that the Purple label IS manipulating the market. It is a label that has negative connotations placed therre by many people who don;t even know what pressing is, let alone the more advanced forms of restoration. And it places negative connotations on a book that was legitamately restored by a professional as opposed to one doctored by an unscrupulous dealer or seller.

While I originally was in favor of the purple label, I soon changed my mind. I felt, and still do, that the Purple label IS manipulating the market.

If you saw my previous post to Steve, I stated that while I do not like it, CGC can likely get away with changing the COLOR of the label.

What I am really ticked at is this CGC APPARENT GRADE and CGC totally deleting RESTORED from the label of many of these books. That is going way, way, way over the line and entering into "overt dealer manipulation" territory. Even FFB agreed somewhat with this, and stated that he wants to keep the CGC RESTORED GRADE tier, only on a Blue label.

So what are your thoughts on this, assuming we move past the Blue vs. Purple debate?

What I am really ticked at is this CGC APPARENT GRADE and CGC totally deleting RESTORED from the label of many of these books. That is going way, way, way over the line and entering into "overt dealer manipulation" territory. Even FFB agreed somewhat with this, and stated that he wants to keep the CGC RESTORED GRADE tier, only on a Blue label.

Without question the word Restored should on on the label. I would have expected something like CGC Restored grade vs CGC Universal Grade. But simply Apparant will not do. Blue, Purple or Henna color at all, the word Restored must be retained.

Without question the word Restored should on on the label. I would have expected something like CGC Restored grade vs CGC Universal Grade. But simply Apparant will not do. Blue, Purple or Henna color at all, the word Restored must be retained.

Then get on the horn to Steve and let your thoughts be known.

I am really hoping this is one of these "give them the worst, then curtail it back to curry favor" PR scenarios, where Steve gives us Plan A (which looks insane) and then pulls back "due to collectors responses" and institutes Plan B (Restored Blue Label) as a compromise.

At least that's what I'm hoping. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Yep! Give the restored guys the blue and give the unrestored guys a new color to.

Ok, purple stigmatizes slightly restored books[they certainly dont stigmatize mod or ext restored books] ,but now the color blue will stigmatize the unrestored books[you cant have it both ways,it works both ways]

We were not born colorblind. God gave us the power to see color. It has a powerful force on our minds and we associate something to it always.Its inate,we cant block it if we wanted to.My point is 1 color for everybody is not good! Your adding uneccessary complexity. Its Not complicated,but your going in that direction.

Ever here of the saying [keep it simple] nothing is simpler than color differentiation]

You hate purple,than buy all means change it! but a new color for everone.....

keep it simple!

I welcome your comments of course.....

Yep! Give the restored guys the blue and give the unrestored guys a new color to.

Ok, purple stigmatizes slightly restored books[they certainly dont stigmatize mod or ext restored books] ,but now the color blue will stigmatize the unrestored books[you cant have it both ways,it works both ways]

We were not born colorblind. God gave us the power to see color. It has a powerful force on our minds and we associate something to it always.Its inate,we cant block it if we wanted to.My point is 1 color for everybody is not good! Your adding uneccessary complexity. Its Not complicated,but your going in that direction.

Ever here of the saying [keep it simple] nothing is simpler than color differentiation]

You hate purple,than buy all means change it! but a new color for everone.....

keep it simple!

I welcome your comments of course.....

If someone can clarify what the above means, I'd be happy to hear it.

popcorn.gif