• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Common "fading" on Marvel Special Edition #15 Title?

4 posts in this topic

I've had the full run of MOKF for a long time now and for the first time in a while I dug them out and noticed the title of the first issue looks to be oddly partially faded. 

I'm wondering if this is actually a printing defect and here's why. The words "Master", "Kung" and parts of "Of", and "Fu" look faded at the red border, but nothing else on the cover is faded. Fu Manchu's head overlaps the title and none of that is faded. Also, Shang Chi and some wording is to the side of the title and no fading there. 

I got curious and looked up numerous high grade slabbed examples and found the exact same fading on quite a few which leads me to believe it was a printing issue and not actual fading. Any other MOKF owners seen this? 

0403212155~3.jpg

0403212155~4.jpg

Not really sure what I'm looking for, maybe it's a slight variation of the amount of red ink? Don't think I see it on this one. The red color of little Shang Chi's gi in the upper left matches the amount of red in the letter borders, so may it's just an ink-level difference between copies.

20210403_211935.jpg

Edited by jcjames