• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which shipping method back from CGC?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I know there have been threads about this, but can't seem to locate one readily. I'm doing my first submission in a really long time. From an insurance perspective I seem to remember it made a difference which option you picked to get your books shipped back. Any advice? Total value is less than 1K if that makes a difference. 

Edited by wombat

6 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

UPS and FEDEX return shipments are only insured for $100.  Registered through USPS is covered for the amount of your Declared Value of the comics on the submission form.  More here: https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/8324/shipping-collectibles-cgc/

Thank you. Does that rate chart for USPS include insurance? I'm assuming it does, just want to double check. I'm also assuming most people pick USPS for the insurance?

Edited by wombat

7 minutes ago, wombat said:

Thank you. Does that rate chart for USPS include insurance? I'm assuming it does, just want to double check. I'm also assuming most people pick USPS for the insurance?

I've always understood it as "yes" that rate chart does include insurance.  I thought you could ship via your own FedEx or UPS account and be able to declare an insured amount but unfortunately those options have never been available to me.  I always use USPS Registered Mail for returning shipping.  I hate it and wish there were other options available.

9 minutes ago, wombat said:

Yes, it does.  The rates for insurance on Registered Mail are far lower than on any other type of service.  One reason is that the shipper, whoever that may be, is paying a base rate of about $13 for the added Registered service, and then more depending on weight and distance.  Another reason is that Registered is the most secure way to ship through USPS, - special handling, locked bags, chain of custody thing, etc.  Incidents of loss should be dramatically lower.  Incidents of damage should be lower, as it never enters the main stream of mail.

3 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

Yes, it does.  The rates for insurance on Registered Mail are far lower than on any other type of service.  One reason is that the shipper, whoever that may be, is paying a base rate of about $13 for the added Registered service, and then more depending on weight and distance.  Another reason is that Registered is the most secure way to ship through USPS, - special handling, locked bags, chain of custody thing, etc.  Incidents of loss should be dramatically lower.  Incidents of damage should be lower, as it never enters the main stream of mail.

FWIW, in shipping hundreds of graded comics over the years using UPS on the way back, I have never had any issues. Only on the way with USPS. As a matter of fact, any issues ever were with USPS for one reason or another.

6 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

I'd like to have a word with someone at USPS about their "chain of custody".  I get it's more secure and I have yet to lose a package, but the pace at which registered mail moves through the system is ungodly slow.  

image.thumb.png.9ccb9a6dd4c271c1cce70708c0a42e32.png

devil-wears-prada-1.gif

Yes, Registered takes its sweet time. 

Many people report having had good luck with UPS and FedEx, even with only the $100 coverage.  It's the occasional "mishap" that is the greatest fear.

The best method is to have private insurance.  But that may not make economic sense if you only submit occasionally. 

I have insurance through CIS, and it includes shipping insurance on 10% of the total policy coverage amount, as long as the shipments have direct signature required.  I use FedEx for return shipments, relying on CIS coverage.

I haven't tested that coverage yet, so I can't say it's the answer to everything.  I have not heard anyone say that they couldn't get reimbursed, but I have no personal experience with a claim.  Insurance is always a funky thing, no matter who is doing the covering.

Edited by Lightning55

54 minutes ago, Lightning55 said:

Yes, Registered takes its sweet time. 

Many people report having had good luck with UPS and FedEx, even with only the $100 coverage.  It's the occasional "mishap" that is the greatest fear.

The best method is to have private insurance.  But that may not make economic sense if you only submit occasionally. 

I have insurance through CIS, and it includes shipping insurance on 10% of the total policy coverage amount, as long as the shipments have direct signature required.  I use FedEx for return shipments, relying on CIS coverage.

I haven't tested that coverage yet, so I can't say it's the answer to everything.  I have not heard anyone say that they couldn't get reimbursed, but I have no personal experience with a claim.  Insurance is always a funky thing, no matter who is doing the covering.

My CIS policy goes much higher than 10%.  The details are...

d. Shipping Requirements
The following Sublimits shown in the Declarations apply to worldwide shipments of Covered Property that require the signature of the recipient:
(1) The Class 1 Signature Required Shipment Sublimit applies to shipments by:
(a) USPS Registered or Express mail, including USPS and non-USPS postal equivalents;
(b) Delivery or courier services such as FedEx, Airborne Express, DHL, TNT, other than United Parcel Service; or
(c) Any air freight carrier; or
(d) Any armored car service.

For FedEx, you need a street address.

3 hours ago, mlovest said:

My CIS policy goes much higher than 10%.  The details are...

d. Shipping Requirements
The following Sublimits shown in the Declarations apply to worldwide shipments of Covered Property that require the signature of the recipient:
(1) The Class 1 Signature Required Shipment Sublimit applies to shipments by:
(a) USPS Registered or Express mail, including USPS and non-USPS postal equivalents;
(b) Delivery or courier services such as FedEx, Airborne Express, DHL, TNT, other than United Parcel Service; or
(c) Any air freight carrier; or
(d) Any armored car service.

For FedEx, you need a street address.

I may have made the 10% part confusing.  I have a policy that covers my entire collection/inventory, as all do.  I have the same sub-limit language you have. 

Shipping sub-limits do not come standard with a policy - you have to ask for it if you need that specific coverage. Some people do comic cons (or used to), and might need an Away From Premises And Unaccompanied Travel Sublimit.  Various coverages are available.  Sub-limits are similar to Riders.

My Shipping sub-limit has a cap of 10% of the total policy, so $8,000.  That is my coverage specifically for shipments through brand-name carriers.  I did not mean that my shipments were only covered 10%, 90% uncovered. 

Your example only describes the terms of the sub-limit, not the amount of coverage.  You will find that earlier in the policy under the Coverage section, like this.

Deductible: $200 Any One Occurrence
Policy Limit of Insurance: $80,000
Away From Premises And Personally
Unaccompanied Travel Sublimit $0       Any One Occurrence
Shipping Sublimit – Signature Required $8,000      Any One Occurrence
Shipping Sublimit – No Signature $400      Any One Occurrence
Earthquake Sublimit $80,000      Any One Occurrence

I believe you can have Shipping sub-limits of different amounts, but the higher the percentage of your total coverage, the more it will cost. 

Maybe even the reverse is true.  If you have general coverage of $250,000, but only make shipments in the $5,000 range, you certainly don't need $25,000 (10%) Shipping coverage.  I suspect you can tailor it to what you need, within limitations.

Edited by Lightning55