• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman 25 what can be done, what should be done?
1 1

6 posts in this topic

This subject may have been done to death, so sorry if this is a well-trod path here.  But I’m interested in subjective views, as I am warning up to some aspects of preservation/restoration. Strong opinions welcome.

I am really curious about pressing and cleaning, it sees that minimally invasive philosophy has is more prevalent now than the fix and forget to tell the client problems I had in the 90’s.

I bought this book around 1976 for $35.00 (as indicated on the first page) frankly a fortune for me at the time.  I insist that it looked better in 1976, also to my untrained 15-year-old eyes it looked better. Now it is truly a sorry book.

Can someone tell me what cleaning might do? I don’t want any restoration. How invasive is cleaning? I’ve seen examples of pressing (presented as positive examples) where an old disfiguring crease is now a weird disfiguring pressed wrinkle (that I guess “presents” better).  But would a pressing would be good for the book, particularly for the bottom impact mark?  Can the spine take it?

I’ll try to read more on where the idea of restoration crosses the color label boundary. So far what I am asking in not restoration in the current philosophy. Still, if I saw any pressing wrinkles I would turn the book down no matter what the current philosophy (my strong opinion!). I don’t think I’ll try to fix the spine or address the tears; I’d like help weighing the aesthetic and invasive pros and cons. Then I’ll have to see if it is worth the money, which I am sure will not be minimally invasive.

Thanks!

Batman 25 sm cover.jpg

Batman 25 sm int .jpg

Batman 25 sm l:center indent.jpg

Batman 25 sm l:r.jpg

Batman 25 sm right.jpg

Batman 25 sm spine.jpg

Edited by GLD

A press would help this book. 

A press will be able to improve non color breaking creases and flatten out the book. 

The dry clean is usually included with pressing. It's like taking a non abrasive erasers and gently removing dirt and debris. No chemicals are used. 

I would suggest using a quality presser, like https://cfpcomics.com/

It can take some time, but good work is worth waiting for! 

Great book by the way! Awesome that you've kept it for all these years. 

3 hours ago, KCOComics said:

A press would help this book. 

A press will be able to improve non color breaking creases and flatten out the book. 

The dry clean is usually included with pressing. It's like taking a non abrasive erasers and gently removing dirt and debris. No chemicals are used. 

I would suggest using a quality presser, like https://cfpcomics.com/

It can take some time, but good work is worth waiting for! 

Great book by the way! Awesome that you've kept it for all these years. 

+1

Definitely agree with this one right here. Joey has done great work with my books. 

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

To Angel of Death specifically, I agree the book is so compromised all I want to do is make it look less beat up.  It might not be dollar-wise a good idea, but I'll be happier to know I did something to make it look better. I'll get an estimate. What I should really do is put it back in storage for another decade and picture it as being very fine with good corners until I need to sell it.