• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Noob questions about grading restoration National Comics #1
1 1

3 posts in this topic

A little preface: I do not have any pics but will post some tomorrow, as i keep my comics in  another place, this question is just keeping me up and wanted to get it out in the ether lol. 

I acquired an issue of National Comics #1 awhile back, i paid very little for if as i bought a whole collection and it was very cheap, like averaged out to like three bucks or something like that. I bought the collection blind, some guy was just selling three long boxes or something like that, i figured why not. So just given the fact that it was included in the collection im almost certain it is restored. 

I am a modest collector, i own no real keys except for like secret wars #8 and a few others in that price range, im saying all this so i can basically say that i know about comics....but at the same time i dont know a lot about high end things. This is the only golden age book i own, i have some silver aged ones but mostly modern, anywho i say that is it restored because well....the cover just does not look authentic. First of all the cover page quality is akin to like cardstock or something like that, i do not know if that is typical of golden age books? On top of that the cover just looks replicated. Like you can see pencil marks were it looks like the cover was just drawn on to replicate it. Like the entire cover. the interiors look fine enough for a comic of that age and does not seem to be missing any pages.

So, a few questions, is that how restoration is done? Like is that typical, with the hand dawn nature of it? Would it be worth it to get graded? I know "worth it" is subjective, but i mean, would it be graded as a coverless comic since it isnt authentic (if that is the case)? I do want to get it preserved, but what would be the price for the services? The online submission page is currently down on the website otherwise i would look myself. But beyond that last question, which service would i choose? The walkthrough one? A NM copy is worth $11k+ but with the defects and such its probably really only worth $300 or so, but still walkthrough? Ive just never submitted a book that old before.  

Thank you for reading, i do not expect every question to be answered, i just dont know what i should do with this book? I want to hold on to it but also preserve it. I just dont know how cost effective itll be. I shall post some pics tomorrow

Alright, upon further inspection, it most certainly is a replication cover/restored comic. The staples look newish, leaf casting the front in back cover 100% replicated cover, 4 reproduced interior pages, Fist and last page married to replicated cover, and tape on almost every page. The book would get a NG? Or a restored grade? The one page I care about is there and real. The Wil Eisner splash page of uncle sams debut. I don’t have the best pics as I do not have a scanner, but here is what I have:

F05EA476-F789-4CDB-ACD0-71F41D15950D.jpeg

14AECE38-19C3-4A7C-BE92-F0C3C8B0A184.jpeg

AE47A6AD-E31E-4CE7-8A62-7CDF36BFBF16.jpeg

86638448-72D7-43E9-B165-DC1053A3A203.jpeg

343611E2-40F5-4A33-B7D3-AE2F082D5BB1.jpeg

01C6B332-D27B-4A53-B9B8-C42BC97BD4BB.jpeg