• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Collector/Investor seeking advice from the Vets

120 posts in this topic

32 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

That's even worse, TBH.

This is because people new to the hobby think 50% gains every 2-3 months is normal.

I personally hate the hot and cold that goes on, even if I do like the fact that my books are generally worth more. The Black superman books were on fire a couple of weeks ago. What the heck happened?

9 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

A Black Superman movie is somewhat in the works. So, as usual, more spec books.

I know, that's why they got hot, that's why I spent a day searching for them in my boxes. But then I didn't list them for a couple of weeks and once I did, no action. I guess I should just roll the dice with $9.99 auctions and not starting them at 75-80% of what I think they should sell at. But i do have an offer feature on there. So far, only a lowball.

1 minute ago, the blob said:

I know, that's why they got hot, that's why I spent a day searching for them in my boxes. But then I didn't list them for a couple of weeks and once I did, no action. I guess I should just roll the dice with $9.99 auctions and not starting them at 75-80% of what I think they should sell at. But i do have an offer feature on there. So far, only a lowball.

Oh, you mean, "what happened to the demand?" Well, the movie is allegedly being written by a scrub, so...

Just now, Angel of Death said:

Oh, you mean, "what happened to the demand?" Well, the movie is allegedly being written by a scrub, so...

Um, the whole reason it got hyped in the first place is the guy writing it because with him getting brought in, it will probably get done. True, I don't think he has a lot of experience in movies.

Just now, the blob said:

Um, the whole reason it got hyped in the first place is the guy writing it because with him getting brought in, it will probably get done. True, I don't think he has a lot of experience in movies.

Oh, well... That's not how I saw it. lol

DC under WB is simply in shambles. The constant "we have no idea what we're doing" interviews probably halted the hype for this project.

4 minutes ago, Angel of Death said:

Oh, well... That's not how I saw it. lol

DC under WB is simply in shambles. The constant "we have no idea what we're doing" interviews probably halted the hype for this project.

i'm not gonna argue politics here. J.J. Abrams being involved might be the problem, not Coates. there just hasn't been any news on the project for a while. not shocking because they might not have gotten past page 1 of the --script, so that might be it. WB is not good at hyping the machine like Marvel is. Really bad, in fact, Marvel is constantly keeping their projects in the news. WB introduces shows and you barely hear about them. We'll see an article about Titans Season 3 a week after it starts. Doom Patrol gets zero publicity and has some known people in it. The arrowverse stuff is completely ignored. They tried to give Batwoman a little buzz.

Edited by the blob

I'm far from a vet.

I collected as a teen in the early 90s for a few years so I knew a bit about the hobby.

When the lockdown happened and the stimulus went out...i started getting back into comics.

As a kid, I could never afford certain books like the Wolverine LS. That was my first purchase last summer. I bought all 4 issues in a 9.6 for under $500 total. I see issue #1 alone is selling for damn near $500 now.

I bought NM98 in a 9.6 for around $400 and it's selling for $800 now.

I'm not sure when this bubble bursts but I now have 30 graded books and they are all selling for much more than I paid for them 6 months ago.

3 hours ago, lostboys said:

I'm not sure when this bubble bursts but I now have 30 graded books and they are all selling for much more than I paid for them 6 months ago.

I believe this phrase can be uttered by every comic book collector and comic book investor on the planet. Well, maybe not in Zimbabwe. lol

4 hours ago, lostboys said:

I'm far from a vet.

I collected as a teen in the early 90s for a few years so I knew a bit about the hobby.

When the lockdown happened and the stimulus went out...i started getting back into comics.

As a kid, I could never afford certain books like the Wolverine LS. That was my first purchase last summer. I bought all 4 issues in a 9.6 for under $500 total. I see issue #1 alone is selling for damn near $500 now.

It does't matter what they are selling for.  What matters is what you sell yours for.

A lot of people here talk about pulling suddenly hot books out of their dreck boxes, but few people mention all the formerly hot books that you can now hardly give away.

4 hours ago, lostboys said:

I'm far from a vet.

I imagine your not alone in this catagory. Guys my age who collected as kids or young adults and got back into it during the pandemic. 

The question now is, are you hooked? Will you be buying for decades to come? Or is the fun over as society reopens? 

I think that will determine where prices go in the near term. If people remain in the hobby and demand stays high, prices will stay high. If allot of new collectors had their fun and are ready to resume their old lives, prices may drop a bit over the coming months. 

10 minutes ago, KCOComics said:

I imagine your not alone in this catagory. Guys my age who collected as kids or young adults and got back into it during the pandemic. 

The question now is, are you hooked? Will you be buying for decades to come? Or is the fun over as society reopens? 

I think that will determine where prices go in the near term. If people remain in the hobby and demand stays high, prices will stay high. If allot of new collectors had their fun and are ready to resume their old lives, prices may drop a bit over the coming months. 

I think I'm hooked.

It's not all about the graded books and the money either. I've been having a lot of fun putting my early Image collection back together and reading them.  The artwork still blows my mind.  

On 4/12/2021 at 9:44 PM, Comic Pingu said:

Got off an auction for $485+fees, if i’m out of my mind please let me know cus I got free returns.

239ECF3D-0134-4ABD-97EF-0FA4A9E9949D.jpeg

4E201A50-582F-456F-857F-018444743AF8.jpeg

Best advice I can give you?  Buy first appearances of important characters,  know what they're selling for and don't overpay, and buy graded books unless you're an expert at grading and restoration detection.  This is a nice book with a great cover but it isn't a first appearance, you're not sure of the grade or if it has restoration, and it will be tougher to sell down the road because it's raw.

On 4/12/2021 at 4:27 PM, Comic Pingu said:

I guess let me simplify it a bit, if you had between 15k-25k in savings and no other significant financial responsibilities, would you be buying mid to high grades off the blazing market?

I'd buy any copy I can of Ninja Turtles 1, for sure.

On 4/14/2021 at 10:53 AM, the blob said:

This is because people new to the hobby think 50% gains every 2-3 months is normal.

I personally hate the hot and cold that goes on, even if I do like the fact that my books are generally worth more. The Black superman books were on fire a couple of weeks ago. What the heck happened?

Dude that is so last week, it's all about black captain america now, get with the program!

2 hours ago, William-James88 said:

Dude that is so last week, it's all about black captain america now, get with the program!

those weren't as hot as i was hoping they would be either.

I am selling a bunch of the action 9s a lot cheaper than I hoped i would. I am a bit worried I am bailing early because if this is the guy who will be in the movie that should be a $100 book raw.

5 hours ago, thehumantorch said:

Best advice I can give you?  Buy first appearances of important characters,  know what they're selling for and don't overpay, and buy graded books unless you're an expert at grading and restoration detection.  This is a nice book with a great cover but it isn't a first appearance, you're not sure of the grade or if it has restoration, and it will be tougher to sell down the road because it's raw.

that this isn't a first app, or iron man 1, submariner 1, hulk 102, etc either hasn't really hampered those books. $500 doesn't get him much in the way of a first appearance of an important character. maybe half a book. it's a nice book, but he may have overpaid for it given that it is a raw copy

9 hours ago, KCOComics said:

I’m certainly in the category of rejuvenated collector. 
Avid as a kid with very little income but now hooked again after retrieving collection from parents loft in pandemic. I’ve spent a good amount of money on some minor keys and I like to think I’m back in for the long haul. 
Be interesting to see if this is the case once normality returns. I certainly hope so 

1 hour ago, The lips said:

I’m certainly in the category of rejuvenated collector. 
Avid as a kid with very little income but now hooked again after retrieving collection from parents loft in pandemic. I’ve spent a good amount of money on some minor keys and I like to think I’m back in for the long haul. 
Be interesting to see if this is the case once normality returns. I certainly hope so 

Welcome back to the hobby!