• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Small Spine Split....Effect on Grade

8 posts in this topic

Hi All,

I have a modern comic that appears to be 9.6 possibly better but, it has a very small split on the top left corner. It appears to be about 1/8".  Doesn't appear to be any impact to the corner, spine is clean, other corners look sharp.... so I am wondering if that would be considered a bindery defect and whether or not that is the case, what is the deduct from the grade.  I would post pics but I can't get the split to show up on camera and I definitely don't want to potentially make it worse.  

Much appreciation for your time and wisdom.  Peace

Without pics it will hard for anybody to tell you if it is a "Bindery Tear" or a "Dented Corner/Spine Split" and how much it would affect the grade of the book.

This is from the HA Grading Standards...

NM+ 9.6 -  No bindery tears are allowed

NM 9.4 -  Bindery tears must be less than 1/16" on Silver Age and later books

On 4/14/2021 at 8:07 AM, Angel of Death said:

Pics or it didn't happen.

OK, finally had time to pull the book in question and think I got a decent pic of the defect.  I tried to measure it, looks like 3/16"???  At any rate, more than an 1/8" and less than 1/4"....with my eyes.  Also, with the magnified pics, I am changing my original thoughts.....looks like there may have been a "bump" on that corner.  :cry:  I definitely can't see it with my naked eye.  Thanks in advance for your help!!

IMG_3298.JPG

IMG_3299.JPG

IMG_3300.JPG

Edited by shootin-str81

17 hours ago, shootin-str81 said:

OK, finally had time to pull the book in question and think I got a decent pic of the defect.  I tried to measure it, looks like 3/16"???  At any rate, more than an 1/8" and less than 1/4"....with my eyes.  Also, with the magnified pics, I am changing my original thoughts.....looks like there may have been a "bump" on that corner.  :cry:  I definitely can't see it with my naked eye.  Thanks in advance for your help!!

IMG_3298.JPG

IMG_3299.JPG

IMG_3300.JPG

That's not a MFG defect, so it's gonna hurt the grade. Won't be in the NM range.