• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Slab Sticker Discussion
1 1

1 post in this topic

Hello!

I want to do a couple things here.

One is to discuss the Pros and Cons of Custom/Different/Themed Slab Stickers.

Two is to discuss how to refine and make the Current Slab Sticker better.

So First- Custom/Different/Themed Stickers:

Pros- Can have unique Stickers to Sets and have something different for everyone's taste since some people don't like the Current Sticker.

Cons- Will lead to Brand Dilution. Instead of seeing a very limited, but standard, stickers when people shop- instead it's going to be a bunch of random Stickers.

I am in the camp of the Cons outweigh the Pros in the end. I can understand the wanting to have different stickers. It's a very desirable concept.

However, it will destroy CGC's Brand Recognition. People are not going to be happy to have to remember every sticker for just 1 Grader.

Slabs can get away with very small Sticker Variations for something like their 10s. This is fine and works. Having 10-20 different stickers just cause? It's a nightmare.

I am sorry for breaking people's hearts who REALLY want that cool Custom/Themed Sticker but you would be giving up the future of CGC for it.

However- That doesn't mean the Current Sticker Can't be Refined. I have several ideas:

1. Grade Font Sizes. I think the Numbers for all the Grades can use a slight uptick in Font Size. At the very least, make the Sub Grades just a bit bigger than PSA's Final Grade. Sounds like not alot but it actually does when ya think about it. If anything, I feel there's just a little bit too much Dead Space around the Sub Grade Area and regardless of other Grading Companies Font Sizes, I feel this should be improved on.

2. Sub Grade Details: I have an interesting way to give a little more Tasteful "Flair" that gives alot more info: 

A. Centering: You can add small arrows indicating the direction the card is off center by. If the card is a 10, it gets a special Symbol behind the 10 to show it has Perfect Centering. Keep the 10 Symbol the Same for all Sub 10s.

B. Surface: This ones tricky. I'm not sure what can be done tbh. Everything I can come up with either is too complicated(has to be super simple like the Centering Arrows) or taking up alot of room.

C. Corners: Very Easy and Simple like Centering. Have a Marker at each Corner of the Sub Grade Number showing that's where the flaws are. It can be a very simple Rounded Edge Symbol.

D. Edges: Again, Very Easy and Simple. Have a Straight Line on each edge of the Sub Grade Number where the flaw is.

Outside of Surface, I think the other 3 are super easy to add and would put CGC ahead of everyone else in the Sub Grade Game.

3. Final Grade. Much like Sub Grades, the Final Grade Number could use some refinement. There's too much Dead Space at the bottom. It's feels Off-Center, especially 10's. 10's just look so badly high. I feel the Number Font Size is Good, maybe a Hair Bigger. I think the Words(NM, Mint, Gem, Pristine, Perfect) could use a bump in Font Size and be moved just a hair down from the top giving it just a bit more spacing since it's quite a bit close.

4. Perfect 10 Sticker. Wow, did I just suggest a different sticker after crapping all over the idea? Yeah but remember, it's ok if it's 1 time like this. I honestly wouldn't start adding anymore Different Stickers than 1 for Perfect 10. I thought about if it's good to even have a "Silver" Variation (if Perfect is "Gold", Pristine is "Silver") and ultimately I think that's a bad idea. It's too much.

5. Back. There sure is alot of Dead Space. I'm not saying the whole thing needs filling but I got 2 things that can fit very nicely back here.

A. Date of Grading. I am actually kinda annoyed and disappointed that there's no date on the sticker. I wouldn't put it in the Front but the Back is just so full of room and it's very fitting.

B. Graded By. Kinda iffy but I think a cool idea. It may need to be by request since I can understand why there would be Employees who do not wish to catch flack from people not grading their card the way they wanted. Definitely a big Con no matter how ya slice it. Would still be cool if you could find the Graders who would be willing to put their name to Slab and allow the service to those who wish for it.

So that's it for now. As I think of more I'll add. I do want to do some Photoshopping to show the improvements in what I am talking about. Maybe later in the week.