• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Asm 239
2 2

14 posts in this topic

48 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

I think I see quite a few colour breaking spine creases Joe, sorry, so unless my eyes are deceiving me, I think 9.4 is unlikely. 

No there are. They are very small. What would you call it? 

3 minutes ago, Joe Lindsey said:

No there are. They are very small. What would you call it? 

Well, it's subjective, grading, as we know, and I tend to be harsh, so if I was putting that up for sale on eBay myself I'd likely call it a VFN at best. The creases are magnified by the black edge which pushes me away from grading it as a NM of any description (9.0, 9.2 etc). It's difficult without having the book in hand of course - every one of those ticks likely means the book was folder at some point to create them but it may be better or worse in hand. Photos never do it justice.

I'm sure others will chime in at some point but I'm as confident as I can be that CGC would not give that a 9.4, if that was your hope. Always a nice book to own though, a Hobby Gobby. 

2 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

Well, it's subjective, grading, as we know, and I tend to be harsh, so if I was putting that up for sale on eBay myself I'd likely call it a VFN at best. The creases are magnified by the black edge which pushes me away from grading it as a NM of any description (9.0, 9.2 etc). It's difficult without having the book in hand of course - every one of those ticks likely means the book was folder at some point to create them but it may be better or worse in hand. Photos never do it justice.

I'm sure others will chime in at some point but I'm as confident as I can be that CGC would not give that a 9.4, if that was your hope. Always a nice book to own though, a Hobby Gobby. 

Agree👍. It was. I was reaching a little it’s probably enough to keep it out of NM territory because well it’s not NM. It’s a very sharp book though it has a lot of saving grace from the front eye appeal so overall I was hoping for one. I would take a 9.2 all day. We’ll see I’m sending it. Thanks 

2 minutes ago, Joe Lindsey said:

Agree👍. It was. I was reaching a little it’s probably enough to keep it out of NM territory because well it’s not NM. It’s a very sharp book though it has a lot of saving grace from the front eye appeal so overall I was hoping for one. I would take a 9.2 all day. We’ll see I’m sending it. Thanks 

No worries Joe, good luck. Some books are annoying like that - 98% near mint plus and 2% fine minus. It's working out the overall grade in the middle that's the hard bit. 

12 minutes ago, Get Marwood & I said:

No worries Joe, good luck. Some books are annoying like that - 98% near mint plus and 2% fine minus. It's working out the overall grade in the middle that's the hard bit. 

Gotcha. It’s going modern no fast track so I’ll forget all about it and how it was put up for sale as a NM with no photos of the spine. You can’t even tell in the picture! Arrggg! It’s so tough to find these books at shops. it’s like a box of beaters or you roll the dice online. Thanks for your input much appreciated 

2 hours ago, Galen130 said:

9.2 at best....but I don’t work for CGC. :banana:

Make sure you post pics of graded slabs when you get them back.  That way we can verify how smart we are. 🤪🤪🤪

You know I will! I look at this book in person and I just can’t see it in the 8s at all. But that’s my amateur opinion 

On 4/16/2021 at 8:21 AM, joeypost said:

I’m going to go 8.0/8.5. 

I also see what appears to be light pebbling, which will impact the grade. 

despite the Pebbling, I'll go 8.5...too much happening on that spine...

th?id=OIP.KANQ1lcsLulbcuZjfhHMZAHaFP&pid=Api&P=0&w=240&h=171