• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spider-Man foil reprints - low CGC census confusion

11 posts in this topic

With the recent release of the La Mole Ultimate Fallout #4 foil reprint limited to 1000 (already 29 on the census), I decided to pull out my Marvel Clasico Mexican foil reprints out.

I was surprised to see how low the actual number of graded copies and it had me confused.

Amazing Spider-Man #1 foil reprint - 2017 - only 4 on the census. You'd think there'd be more than 4 foil collectors, 4 foreign collectors, 4 Spidey collectors, etc.

Amazing Fantasy #15 - 8 blue labels on the census

So the questions is why are there so few graded copies? There are ZERO raw copies too.

Does anyone have any info on the Marvel Clasico reprints? I can't find ANY info online about print runs, etc but it seems like they're all GHOSTS.

Any info would be appreciated!

The usual reason for something like this is that the comic doesn't go for enough to support grading it.  Looking in GPA it looks like a 9.6 last sold for around $65 and a 9.4 for around $27, both this year.  So unless you have a high grade issue the cost to submit and press is probably more than the price you'll get for the comic.

2 hours ago, thunsicker said:

The usual reason for something like this is that the comic doesn't go for enough to support grading it.  Looking in GPA it looks like a 9.6 last sold for around $65 and a 9.4 for around $27, both this year.  So unless you have a high grade issue the cost to submit and press is probably more than the price you'll get for the comic.

But the Marvel Clasico foils also are hard to get raw as well. Just odd. 

1 hour ago, Mikey C said:

Well, they probably aren't that common, but also aren't really worth selling, which is a recipe for invisibility.

1 hour ago, Mikey C said:

In general, collector interest in foreign reprints is very, very low. I don't think the foil cover gimmick is enough to swing that needle much.

It really is about the cost of slabbing vs. the resale value as @thunsicker stated, and it varies by grade.

There are 26,028 books on the CGC census with exactly one copy graded and it's a CGC 9.8 or higher.

If it was worth grading, there would be at least two. :grin:

4 hours ago, Testinadicalicious said:

I was thinking "I can't believe there's 4 people who would collect this" :insane:

Why not?some people really likes foreign copy .in collecting there are many different taste some i dont even understand but still,as long as the one collecting is happy,thats all that matter:preach:

5 hours ago, Angel of Death said:

"Rare" and "valuable" are not mutually exclusive.

... but they are not mutually inclusive either. :foryou:

Every child's drawing on a refrigerator is rare, in fact, it's unique... but "valuable" beyond family sentiment (which doesn't do well on eBay), is generally many miles away from the rare item itself.

Edited by valiantman