• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sales slow to international customers?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Starting this thread in the selfish hope that some comic seller's on these boards will opt-out of eBay's ridiculous Global Shipping Program, because I'm missing out on some of my most wanted books because of the program!

The program charges international buyers twice for shipping (once from the seller to eBay's international distribution centre, and once from the distribution centre to the buyer), on top of ridiculous "handling" and "brokerage" fees, before finally assessing actual customs charges.

Other Canadian and international buyers I know have given up on buying from US seller's entirely, because the price of any purchase is increased anywhere from 10-20% by the program's fees.

Fyi for USA sellers shipping to Canada - Canadians prefer direct shipping via USPS. UPS, FedEx, and other commercial carriers charge Canadians flat "brokerage fees" on top of assessed customs (I've paid $50 of brokerage fees on $3 of customs and duty).

USPS and Canada Post have an agreement whereby no brokerage fees are charged, the buyer only pays the actual duty.

I know international shipping can be a pain - filling out customs declarations, and dealing with ignorant buyers who don't understand they need to pay duty on international purchases - but US eBay sellers who use the Global Shipping Program are essentially cutting themselves off from the international market simply to avoid these minor hassles.

Anyways, rant over! :)

Well I've got to say I understand your pain.   But I know for me personally I stopped all international sales on eBay for quite some time because of the hassles that would occur almost always to Europe.  A good friend who sells a lot more than I do convinced me to try GSP and it took care of every problem I ever had.   No more emails asking where the package is (despite provided tracking) no more lost packages, from nothing but headaches to zip.   I've noticed a dip in international sales, although to be fair because anything shipping via GSP goes to Kentucky so I may not notice, but my overall  sales are up, way up.

As a buyer you could always reach out to a seller and mention your concerns about GSP and see if they'd work with you.  I know for me personally I've never considered Canada "international", especially if you develop a repeat customer relationship with a seller.

Again, I feel your pain, I may not speak for every US Seller but I can tell you GSP has been a winner on my end.

57 minutes ago, Kripsys99 said:

Starting this thread in the selfish hope that some comic seller's on these boards will opt-out of eBay's ridiculous Global Shipping Program, because I'm missing out on some of my most wanted books because of the program!

The program charges international buyers twice for shipping (once from the seller to eBay's international distribution centre, and once from the distribution centre to the buyer), on top of ridiculous "handling" and "brokerage" fees, before finally assessing actual customs charges.

Other Canadian and international buyers I know have given up on buying from US seller's entirely, because the price of any purchase is increased anywhere from 10-20% by the program's fees.

Fyi for USA sellers shipping to Canada - Canadians prefer direct shipping via USPS. UPS, FedEx, and other commercial carriers charge Canadians flat "brokerage fees" on top of assessed customs (I've paid $50 of brokerage fees on $3 of customs and duty).

USPS and Canada Post have an agreement whereby no brokerage fees are charged, the buyer only pays the actual duty.

I know international shipping can be a pain - filling out customs declarations, and dealing with ignorant buyers who don't understand they need to pay duty on international purchases - but US eBay sellers who use the Global Shipping Program are essentially cutting themselves off from the international market simply to avoid these minor hassles.

Anyways, rant over! :)

I really miss the good old days when I could sent a flat rate priority mail envelope to canada for like $7, which was not that long ago. it is nuts what it is now. and back then the lack of tracking did not worry me so much because canadians are pretty honest. it makes zero sense that I can sent some comics to buffalo for $4.03 and it costs $20 more or something to go an extra hour to toronto costs an extra $10, at least.

1 hour ago, Kripsys99 said:

Unfortunately, since the pandemic began, an increasing number of US sellers on these CGC boards have completely opted out of selling to Canada. Period. :(

1 hour ago, the blob said:

I really miss the good old days when I could sent a flat rate priority mail envelope to canada for like $7, which was not that long ago. it is nuts what it is now. and back then the lack of tracking did not worry me so much because canadians are pretty honest. it makes zero sense that I can sent some comics to buffalo for $4.03 and it costs $20 more or something to go an extra hour to toronto costs an extra $10, at least.

I'd happily pay more for a tracked package sent via USPS if it meant avoiding the Global Shipping Program (with its high costs) or UPS/FedEx (with their uncertain fees). I think Canadians will gladly accept pricey shipping, it's the ancillary fees we hate.

9 minutes ago, Kripsys99 said:

I'd happily pay more for a tracked package sent via USPS if it meant avoiding the Global Shipping Program (with its high costs) or UPS/FedEx (with their uncertain fees). I think Canadians will gladly accept pricey shipping, it's the ancillary fees we hate.

Isn't priority close to $30?

With Global Shipping Program, I'm paying that and then some for every book. I'm paying whatever it costs for the seller to ship to eBay's distribution centre, then paying for eBay to send the package to me by the equivalent of Priority, then paying duties I might not otherwise be assessed by Canadian Border Services. Often even $500 USD comics with full declared value won't be assessed customs by border officials, but eBay's program makes Canadians pay duty on EVERY purchase. There is a $500 USD comic I want to buy right now on eBay, but shipping  ($41 CAD) and Global Shipping Program ($110 CAD) increase the price of the book 20%!