• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STANDARD VS NEWSSTANDS... what's better to buy ?

22 posts in this topic

Not that simple of a question.  During certain time periods newstands were rarer, and during others it doesn't matter.     The 90's is the time period most are looking for newstands, there were 10,000 comic book stores with lots of inventory (direct).  Very few were in 7 elevens or grocery stores (newstand).  90's image had very few newstands. Honestly I think this newstands craze is a bit wacky.  I find it hard to believe that there is a 2k difference between Spawn #1 direct vs newstand.

19 minutes ago, apoptosis said:

Not that simple of a question.  During certain time periods newstands were rarer, and during others it doesn't matter.     The 90's is the time period most are looking for newstands, there were 10,000 comic book stores with lots of inventory (direct).  Very few were in 7 elevens or grocery stores (newstand).  90's image had very few newstands. Honestly I think this newstands craze is a bit wacky.  I find it hard to believe that there is a 2k difference between Spawn #1 direct vs newstand.

Okay, so you are telling me that, for example, when I'm buying a CGC of a 90's issue, maybe it would be more convenient (from an "investor" point of view) to buy the newsstand version, right ? Because it will be more valuable on the market, right ?

I have to admit that I agree with  you, seems a little bit wacky, in the end they are literally the same book....

8 minutes ago, Simone Costantini said:

Okay, so you are telling me that, for example, when I'm buying a CGC of a 90's issue, maybe it would be more convenient (from an "investor" point of view) to buy the newsstand version, right ? Because it will be more valuable on the market, right ?

I am saying its not necessarily that newstands are always rarerer.  It depends on the era and the book.

Which one is the better investment is up to you.  Hard to predict the future.  I will say I personally thing the obsession with rarity is kind of a bubble right now.  Rarity is like the supply side of "supply and demand", but really what is the demand for a upc symbol vs a direct logo?   I feel like people are over emphasizing rarity right now, and ignoring demand.

31 minutes ago, apoptosis said:

I am saying its not necessarily that newstands are always rarerer.  It depends on the era and the book.

Which one is the better investment is up to you.  Hard to predict the future.  I will say I personally thing the obsession with rarity is kind of a bubble right now.  Rarity is like the supply side of "supply and demand", but really what is the demand for a upc symbol vs a direct logo?   I feel like people are over emphasizing rarity right now, and ignoring demand.

When it comes to supply and demand, demand will trump supply. We see this regularly with books that are in plentiful supply but the demand drives the price higher and higher. We do not see those uber prices with rare books that are low in demand.

2 minutes ago, PovertyRow said:

When it comes to supply and demand, demand will trump supply. We see this regularly with books that are in plentiful supply but the demand drives the price higher and higher. We do not see those uber prices with rare books that are low in demand.

Agreed there wouldn't be high prices for these rare newstands without the damand.   I am trying to say I personally think the current demand for "rare because it has a upc code and this other exact same thing doesn't" will be short lived.

2 minutes ago, apoptosis said:

Agreed there wouldn't be high prices for these rare newstands without the damand.   I am trying to say I personally think the current demand for "rare because it has a upc code and this other exact same thing doesn't" will be short lived.

I am on the fence because the concept of newsstand vs direct has been around since 1979/1980, so it is not a flash in the pan. On the other hand, so many comics don't see any premium for newsstand vs direct. I tend to agree though that this is fairly artificial in its construct that can have multiple instances of particular issues spiking but then coming back down.

7 minutes ago, PovertyRow said:

has been around since 1979/1980

I was really young at this time so don't remember it, do you have an example comic where it mattered at this time?  Not trying to argue generally curious because I didn't know it was a thing that far back.

4 minutes ago, Testinadicalicious said:

Way longer than that.

Here's a thread from 2012:

If you read that thread they are "slightly more desirable", I am referring to what to me seems to be the massive price differences we are seeing now.  Sure 10-25% premium okay. 500% premium???

2 minutes ago, Testinadicalicious said:

Dazzler #1? Only available via the direct market.

Not sure how this applies if it was only available via direct.  I thought we were talking price/valuation differences between the two.

24 minutes ago, apoptosis said:

I was really young at this time so don't remember it, do you have an example comic where it mattered at this time?  Not trying to argue generally curious because I didn't know it was a thing that far back.

I was 30 when Dazzler #1 (1980 - direct only) caused a lot of discussion about direct in general. Moon Knight #1 (1980) was in both newsstand and direct and generated definite discussion back then. Prices would fluctuate based on the edition but nothing like we are seeing today.

2 hours ago, Simone Costantini said:

The title sums it up: is it better to buy the standard or newsstands versions ? Which is going to value more n the market ?

Sometimes the Newsstand might be a little more valuable. Sometimes the Newsstand might be a lot more valuable. I'm not aware of a single instance where the Newsstand is less valuable.

I try to grab what I remember/had back in the day.  Example as small child I had Moon Knight #1 Newsstand and GI Joe #2 Direct Sales (one of my earliest). Glad I picked slab's of both of them in the version I remember before they jumped in price.

2 hours ago, Gaard said:

Sometimes the Newsstand might be a little more valuable. Sometimes the Newsstand might be a lot more valuable. I'm not aware of a single instance where the Newsstand is less valuable.

You don't think the mis-named Marvel Whitmans are worth more than their newsstand cousins?

I understand the hobby has so many niches and I appreciate that. 

I mean, if you think people will continue to desire “rarer” books, then buying newsstand copies of key issues printed from 1987 and up is a good choice. Before 1987, I personally would argue that newsstands are no more scarce...maybe harder to get in high grade. For me though, it’s about condition. I would rather have a 9.4 direct than and 8.0 newsstand. And I don’t like paying up for newsstands personally. They are neat but at the end of it all, they are ugly. And when you consider that in the 90s, the mentality was that the images in the corner were “cooler” and more desired than the bar code....well maybe that trend comes back and someday people care less about newsstands.

Botton line is condition. Get the best nicest copy ya can, regardless of whether Spideys face is the corner or not. 

Personally, prior to the past year when I've seen this discussion, I never looked at whether any comic in my collection was newstand or direct. I don't make a determination of looking to purchase one or the other but don't fault anyone if this is a priority for them. And of course if it brings me a few extra $$ when I sell a comic, won't argue against that either. 

On 4/17/2021 at 3:09 PM, Simone Costantini said:

The title sums it up: is it better to buy the standard or newsstands versions ? Which is going to value more n the market ?

Honestly, if you are buying it right now, then it doesnt matter. Because the newstand key books that cost you more right now can indeed be worth more later but so will the standard key books. Both can go up later and it is impossible to know if the newstands will be incrementally worth more. 

It could very well be that due to more people not being rich, the standard book will go higher in value compared to the initial price you paid compared to how much higher the newstand books increased. 

Honestly, there are enough factors in today's market that you don't need this extra factor. As someone else said, go for condition since at least we know that will be a consistent factor in the demand/value of a comic rather than if it's a newstand version or not for the years to come.